The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Big day for the NRA

6K views 52 replies 27 participants last post by  DennyF 
#1 ·
Well, today is the day the NRA holds it press conference. They have stated they are prepared to offer meaningful contributions in the wake of this tragedy.

Usually they have been quick to offer comments after past incidents that were similar. It has been a week today and they are prepared to speak.

This statement has the potential to strengthen their ranks further or possbily erode their support depending on the content of a statement.

As we wait on this, please stop what you are doing this morning at 9:30am and pause in reflection and memory of those that lost their lives one week ago.

#3 ·
I think they will get flack for choosing the day and time for it, which could cause more damage. You know MSNBC and hln will take that story and run with it.
And right now those channels have people brain washed.

I have hopes they only agree to background checks to please the masses and. Make it seem to themselves they won.

#7 ·
I look for them to play up the mental health part of this today. They will also sell it is the person not the weapon. They will of course reinforce the fact that lawful ownership and use of weapons isn't the problem.

They may suggest, may being operative, that the rules and laws to deny possession of weapons to ill people might be possible. They may be open to looking at existing law to see if the parts not working can be revised to make it more functional.

Look for the NRA to run the list of recent and past shootings to point out again, that nearly every killer had mental issues.

Do not look for them to come out with hard and fast positions and ideas as this is still evolving and nothing is sure at this point as to legislation. They will keep their options open.

More than anything else, they will express regret and grief today. But they will also support lawful ownership and the benefits of that lawful ownership, perhaps with the example of the CCW owner that only had to draw on the mall shooter a week ago to end that killer.

IN the coming gun debate, we are still in the preemptive mode. The troops are gathering and lines are being formed. Once the new legislative year starts in earnest, we will form the battle lines as bills are proposed and the detailed debate begins.

Remember, the coming battle will be at every level of government. Local, state, and federal. In PA the local battles are more a side issue as they can not preempt state law. But those laws still need opposed and challenged in the courts - usually.

Stay tuned, get informed, and be engaged as an individual. This is not the time to allow others to do the heavy lifting. Each of us needs to do the things we can to support the overall effort.

#10 ·
NRA:

Lack of Federal gun cases being taken up and prosecute. Criminals feel free to do as they want, and the LE / judicial communities not doing their jobs.

Listed titles of video games and movies. Cited examples of murder being glorified and cited as entertainment and made part of everyday life - as acceptable.

National media is a co-conspirator in that they protect the glorification of "entertainment" while verifying lawful gun owners.

'The only thing that protects us from a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun'

#13 ·
Good press conference.

He took it personal and to the level of the individual parent. He presented it to address the talking points and social media postings over the last week. He gave suggestions and ideas to be considered.

He personalized his message.

The lefts free ride just ended.

The political class now has to act or be labeled as having an agenda that does not support our kids security.

#16 ·
that is the best idea i have ever heard to mitigate this issue. the NRA hit the nail on the head. and in typical fashion, did not just identify the problem, but identified and volunteered to fund and help deploy the solution. i said it before, programs like the Eddie Eagle program, the NRA firearm training programs and now this are real solutions to a complex situation. I am proud to be an NRA member and while i usually don't contribute to them outside of my normal dues and occasional hat or shirt, if they put on a fund raising drive to help get this rolling i will send them a hefty check.

this is the message that needs to get out there. not gun confiscation and obliteration of our rights.

#17 ·
I am not happy with the blaming of movies, music, and video games and bringing up movies that are dang near 15 plus years old. That excuse is a cop-out in my opinion!

However what I did like was the plan they have with guards in the schools.

#18 ·
The NRA needs to be part of the answer and it needs to frame that answer with meaningful programs that help stop this redicilous construct in which dangerous people have access to guns. As part of that they need to come out in favor of background checks across the board for all firearms purchases. Armed guards in schools troubles me because it's a sign that there are so many nut-jobs out here that it's necessary. But, it's a fact and I am all for it.

#19 ·
jmdb25 said:
I am not happy with the blaming of movies, music, and video games and bringing up movies that are dang near 15 plus years old. That excuse is a cop-out in my opinion!

However what I did like was the plan they have with guards in the schools.
I for one am glad he brought up the entertainment industry, they go out making millions glorifying violence and are the first to want to take our guns away, I've heard ex military people saying these video games are just like the training simulators they use. Granted 99 % who view or play these games it doesn't bother but the mentally ill person it may just be the trigger.

#20 ·
As part of that they need to come out in favor of background checks across the board for all firearms purchases.
That be a good start but you would need more thorough information entered into the background database and that is where it gets sticky and could lead to people losing firearms in a legal gun-grab then cost them thousands to clear it up.

As for armed guards in public schools I have mixed feelings. Although I would be acceptable to a big push towards moving kids into cyber schools, home schooling, and private schools. It might be easier and cheaper to reduce potential targets congregating than it is to secure them.

#21 ·
SigPro2340 said:
As part of that they need to come out in favor of background checks across the board for all firearms purchases.
That be a good start but you would need more thorough information entered into the background database and that is where it gets sticky and could lead to people losing firearms in a legal gun-grab then cost them thousands to clear it up.

As for armed guards in public schools I have mixed feelings. Although I would be acceptable to a big push towards moving kids into cyber schools, home schooling, and private schools. It might be easier and cheaper to reduce potential targets congregating than it is to secure them.
All of a sudden you care about costs? A much different tone than your posts down in the political forum.

#22 ·
He also took after the national media - with examples.

In total, the speech covered a lot of bases and reset the conversation. Better, it put the political class on notice that inaction to protect our kids is going to be blamed right at their feet.

#23 ·
This isn't a political discussion...It's about security and gun rights.

I'm not to sure how effective a couple armed guards per school is unless you want to turn schools into a fortress for max security to keep nutjobs out.

I am also not sure I'd be comfortable with an enhanced background database with medical and pshycological information. Now you have doctors deciding the definition of impaired and who knows where that could lead with todays medications.

#24 ·
SigPro2340 said:
....and could lead to people losing firearms in a legal gun-grab then cost them thousands to clear it up.
Wow, Sig sure is changing his tune in a hurry. He told us Obama would never take guns away before the election, now he fears a gun grab.

Yup, Obama duped a lot of people. Their taxes are going up,a nd their guns are going away!

#25 ·
I don't fear Obama taking our guns....I told you before this is way past political agendas.

I am worried the American Public will demand taking my guns away for a false sense of security. And if you want to lay blame for that you can go back to the Bush era and the exploitation of fear for their agenda.

I think the NRA knows that too and why they took a week before commenting.

#26 ·
Bluetick said:
He also took after the national media - with examples.

In total, the speech covered a lot of bases and reset the conversation. Better, it put the political class on notice that inaction to protect our kids is going to be blamed right at their feet.
The comments from the "peanut gallery" in EVERY article I have read regarding the speech are going completely bonkers at a rate of (I'd guess 10-1). Granted, it's a VERY limited demographic, but the negative reaction is telling in a few ways.

1) To some people ANYTHING the NRA says is wrong.
2) These proposals go against their goal of banning guns.
3) Safety of kids is a convenient excuse to justify and push their agenda.
4) They likely won't get a better argument and atmosphere to push their agenda.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.