The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Berks County

Photo Caption: Large crappie! Bruce Gray caught this 18 inch, 4 pound 4 ounce White Crappie in Lake Ontelaunee last month. This fish is not the 2 ounces above the current state record for a crappie (4 lbs., 3 oz.) but it is an awesome catch! Congrats!

I guess the photo didn't copy +paste. It's in the SE region reports on the PFBC website.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Another month or two when her eggs fully developed she'd a been well over the record ... Still a monster

Reactions: JJ4D

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I’ve caught some monster crappie out of ontelaunee in the past. The lake is filled with them. Since there are no boats of any kind allowed I can only imagine the fish living in there.

·
Registered
11,630 Posts
That's a monster. I may go after crappie this weekend. Does anyone know what kind of depths they prefer this time of year?
I target them in February and March when they are schooled up over deep water. They are easy to find and target.

They are spread out now. Now I catch them incidentally while fishing for walleye and pike with baitfish. Depending on the body of water I'd expect to catch them over deeper water, say maybe 8 to 15'. If you are fishing from shore find a place that drops off into deeper water and walk the shore with a minnow and a float.

If you are fishing from a boat with a depth finder look for holes, areas that are deeper than the surrounding area. I fish a couple of holes for walleye and catch a fair amount of crappie.

·
Registered
11,630 Posts
BTW if you have a boat and good electronics look for cover. There is one lake I fish and guys dumped Christmas trees into the lake. I have it marked with a waypoint. I catch crappies every time I fish it. Its one of those spots I head to when nothing else is biting.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
The spring has not been good for me at Ontelaunee... I fished along "73" and never got into any numbers of fish. Thought I had them one day mid May - 2-3rd cast I got a nice 12" put it on the stringer then only got a 1/2dz. dink crappie(4-6") for the next 3hrs. Finally got a 12" white perch so at least between the two I had a fish sandwich for lunch. My last trip about a week ago yielded 1 nice yellow perch about a foot long(released) a couple of 4-6" crappie and a few sunnies even hit the twister. Haven't been back since had enough of crappies.... waiting for bass to open !

Guys were doing better at Peters Creek right at dark back in early May but I imagine that is about "weeded up" by now.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I went over 73 yesterday... not to high or muddy(they closed Blue Marsh - open now) I guess they had more rain west that we had north. They are repaving 73 so I got stuck behind a flagman for 2 cycles but that shouldn't be an issue on the weekend.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts