The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I decided I want a big bore Marlin lever action with the 18.5" barrel. Which caliber would you guys get, 444,450, or 45/70?I seem to be leaning towards the 45/70, but want a few opinions and pros and cons before I pull the trigger,so to speak.Thanks for any input. Don

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
I personally like the .450 out of all of them, but the 45/70 will give you better factory ammo options. Good luck with whatever you choose.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
I have both 45/70 and the 444.....I think that it would come down to personal preference, the two are so close in performance.

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
I have a 444, and my buddy shoots a 45/70. I rarely shoot the 444, where the 45/70 has become my buddies primary gun. I like the way the 45/70 handles a little better.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have the 45/70 and the 450. I prefer the 450. Don't really know why, I just do. If you don't reload there are just alot more options with the 45/70. If you really can't decide, buy both....that is what I did.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
The Guide Guns, among other with the shorter 18.5" barrels are nice 'n easy to carry in heavy brush. I have the 1895XLR with a 24" barrel and I've never found it to be too long or awkward to carry around or shoot.

Mine is in 45-70 and it's really accurate. It will cloverleaf the solid lead 405 grain bullets at 100 yards...and for whitetails, you do not need an expanding bullet.

I've shot several big doe with this gun and not had one run farther than 50 or 60 yards, with most dropping right where they stood.

Sw

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is factory ammo loaded kinda weak for the 45/70? I've read that it is because of the older rifles out there.Sorry about all the questions,but I want to learn as much as I can before I spend a bunch of money.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
I load the minimum of 40gr. of RL-7 under a Cast Performance 405 grain bullet, which gives me a MV of 1533. Between the muzzle and 100 yards, that's plenty of "juice" to kill any whitetail that walks in Pa.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
bearschlayerx2 said:
Is factory ammo loaded kinda weak for the 45/70? I've read that it is because of the older rifles out there.Sorry about all the questions,but I want to learn as much as I can before I spend a bunch of money.
Depends onm what you buy. Some loads have warnings on the box that they can only be fored from certain guns. Buffallo Bore makes some stout loads. So does Cor-Bon. These tend to be a little pricy.

Course you could always just go with the regular 405 gr factory loads. Most people I've known over the years just use those. Unless you are hunting some huge gnarly beast most game wouldn't know the difference inside of 100 yards. Plus the bullets are designed for the lower velocity.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I like the 1895GS personally. Standard guide gun in stainless steel. My dad has one. I have an 1895G, regular guide gun in 45/70 with the porting, they stopped porting a few years back. I would really like a 444p if I could find one for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Shooting big bore cartridges like the 45-70 is completely different than shooting ultra fast smaller cartridges. With big bores you think big and slow. With small bores you must think small and fast. A small bore depends on the explosive nature and expansion of the bullet for killing ability. Big bores make almost a 1/2" hole going in and out if there is no expansion at all. Hack with minimal expansion with a big bore you have a 3/4" hole both in and out.

The best way to shoot a big bore is with a big bullet at low velocities. A whole bunch of buffalo died with a 1200 fps bulet from 45 and 50 caliber rifles.

With the Marlin the slower loads are deadly. Personally I like cast bullets in my 45-70's. I keep the velocities around 1600 fps. My favorite load is 40.0 grains of RL7. And that yields about 1600 fps in most of my rifles.

Just change the way you think. Go with the 45-70. And shoot heavy cast bullets at lower velocities to keep the recoil low in your short Marlin. And you will have one deer killing machine. And you will be able to eat right up to the hole. No more blood shot quarters for you. Tom.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
i have the 1895G 45/70 and love it. got a lot of deer with it. it is one slick gun. i have its cousin the 336D which is a 35 guidegun which is one of my favorites. i also have its other cousin the 336sdt which is a 30/30 stainless/laminate with 16.5" barrel and it is a tiny little thing and shoots real sweet. if i was going for another big bore these days i would go for the 1895 sdt which is stainless/lam GG 45/70. costs more than the blue/walnut though. the rem, fed, etc factory loads are pretty weak but more than enough for deer. i use the 300 HP. if max power is wanted, go for the 450. i have one in the win 94 carbine and it kills on one end and maims on the other. 6lbs and ported 18.5" barrel. its called "the beast" in my house. 450 ain't for plinkin'.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Personally, if you reload 444. If not 45/70, like said before more factory options. M 450 is a fine round but I would rank it 3rd on this list.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Does anyone who shoots these guide guns have any issues with them ringing your ears from the short barrel? Kinda like a magnum pistol does???

·
Registered
699 Posts
I was also torn between the 450 and the 45-70. I chose the 45-70 in the Guide Gun and have no regrets. I believe Marlin discontinued the 450 this year. The 45-70 ammo is readily available, and if you reload you can go from mild to wild with the 45-70. The 1895GG is a pleasure to carry and easy to handle in the thick stuff. I put detachable rings on mine so I can remove the scope and go topless. They are fun to play around with, lots of options for sights and scopes. I currently shoot 300 gr. factory ammo and can make one big whole with several shots, it's real accurate. I have no problem with the noise with the short barrel. Marlin ported some of the early model 1895's and I think those are the ones talked about that are tough on the ears. Mine is NOT ported. Fun gun, great cartridge, short and handy, and accurate, what more can you ask for !!

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I have all three of them. The .450 is my favorite, good thing I collected a lot of brass. I shot some Garret Hammerheads out of the 45/70 this year, and they pack a serious wallop...on both ends.

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
A lot of good pro and con on the replies here... I didn't know Marlin was no longer going to make 450's. that alone might give you reason not to get one since ammo would probably be harder to find and go up in price too.

However 45/70 ammo like everyone said is weaker because of all the old trapdoor guns out there...So if you don't reload your better off with the 450. Now if you reload then you can make that 45/70 do what ever you want...
Since I reload I would go with the 45/70. Might be nice to try some of those cast bullets like Hogghead recommended on here at lower velocities.. Also good to know now that some ammo companies make the strong factory stuff too.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Geez I have a 450 from as soon as they came out and I love it! Kicks a little but it plows through the rhododendrons like a cannon ball. Great for sitting at a ground stand in the rhodIs. Got me a couple bears with it doing exactly that.

Hope they don't give up on it.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts