The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Link

Or make sure the outfitter you book with has his own land. Apparently the locals don't like non residents with guides on public land.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Wow, what a mess, I like the part where the guy came toward them with an axe and the rangers said there is no proof they did anything wrong! Wow, maybe if the guy with the axe had split the other guys head open they might think something was wrong.. Too bad, stay away form there, there are other places to hunt Moose..

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
its often the same here with fishing. a lot of guys dont like guides on public water but dont want people to post land. its a lose lose.

·
Registered
465 Posts
i always respect where other hunters have stands hung, or i know they habitually go. However on public property, especially if i spent all that money, no one is goin to tell me i cant go down a road because "that is their" hunting grounds. public means it is OUR hunting grounds. people have alot of nerve sometimes.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you read the three pages of comments at the bottom of the article you'll find there are some New Brunswick hunters who see nothing wrong with this. So apparently this is not just an isolated incident.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
yo mike, thanks good article. when i was in maine these locals calling themselves guides, put a 20ft. trailer and sell guided hunts. we drove by they cooked and sleep outside because they book to many. they put hunters on reg.guides setups. they get runned out but it takes a few days. didn't bother our hunting but it messed up somebodys...later

·
Registered
11 Posts
Come to Maine. We have some unethical fellows here also but I will hand it to the wardens service they keep a pretty tight lid on things. I am a former PA boy leaving PA about 30 years ago. We bought a place in Maine and have been slowly building a business. It takes a long time to build a good business and good reputation. I appreciate the way the "North Maine Woods Inc." helps to regulate out problems like we read about in NB. It costs a good deal of money but it is worth it in the long run to have a big area to our selves to hunt.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
B&G huntre, I was hoping you would see this thread because I know you put in for New Brunswick moose. I believe Maine is much more competent and properly run than NB. As far as Canada goes I don't even fully trust the Quebec outfitters after what I've read here. If I want to hunt up north I hunt New England. If and when I hunt Canada I will probably choose the western provinces starting with Manitoba. Seems to be less horror stories there.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cwa1104sab said:
Again...why go to Canada when we have everythng right here in the USA...

Well Canada is not all bad. Everyone I've heard of who has gone to British Columbia or Alberta has had a great time. There is just something about Canada. With that said though I have my reservations about the eastern provinces.

·
Banned
10,004 Posts
I have never hunted in New Brunswick, but have hunted in Newfoundland, Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, Alberta, and British Columbia. No such problems encountered and great hunting trips. This must be a very localized thing. Most Canadians I have met are decent people who share the same sort of values and ethics I have. It is a shame this guy's hunt was spoiled by jerks, but I guess jerks are universal.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
yo mike your on target. i went to quebec 2 times. both bear hunts. 1st. time was eye opener. everything new. also got bear that helped. 2nd. time was so bad left early couldn't take it. this guide put in 0 effort. sloppy, took my money real good. i agree western canada but the most beautiful is new england states. people are so nice plenty of open space. rt.201 driving up was breath taking.... later

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
yo mike one more thing. hunting out of state, in some of the places we talk about reminds me of rambo. they drew first blood. like that nb. hunt story. i could see me i'ed need a lawyer for sure. it would be come on in johny its over....later

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
b&ghuntre said:
yo mike your on target. i went to quebec 2 times. both bear hunts. 1st. time was eye opener. everything new. also got bear that helped. 2nd. time was so bad left early couldn't take it. this guide put in 0 effort. sloppy, took my money real good. i agree western canada but the most beautiful is new england states. people are so nice plenty of open space. rt.201 driving up was breath taking.... later

Big Ken told me he had a bad experience in Quebec also. Guide put in zero effort and wouldn't even look for a hunter who had got lost.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
b&ghuntre said:
yo mike one more thing. hunting out of state, in some of the places we talk about reminds me of rambo. they drew first blood. like that nb. hunt story. i could see me i'ed need a lawyer for sure. it would be come on in johny its over....later

Murdock.........I'm comin' to get you!

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I had the pleasure of hunting waterfowl in Saskatchewan back in 2005. The people in the area I hunter were friendly and welcomed the freelancers as we were called. Ask for permission to hunt and unless permission already granted to someone else it was given. Going to try Quebec next week and will reort on my trip.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I have a number of friends in Quebec and help with a bear hunt every spring. Actually, I have found them to be very territorial. Huge areas of queensland that is public land is claimed for Moose hunting and deer hunting. Just drive through the bush and you will see sign after sign marking areas that are claimed for hunting. Now these areas are public hunting areas but tradition is such that you must claim areas to hunt.

Muttley, I agree that most Most Canadians I have met are decent people who share the same sort of values and ethics but in the northern bush country of Quebec there are huge battles between the French, English and native canadians over open hunting grounds.

Our outfitter's wife is of Indian decent and as a result can legally claim areas of Queensland for hunting and fishing rights. When push comes to shove in Canada the Indians usually get their way.

Timber

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
Interesting article. Disappointing the hunter could not get better cooperation from the Canadian authorities.. seems the authorities themselves have a jaundiced view of "outsiders"

What is also interesting to me is how can someone lay claim to "public" land? Most of the land in NB is owned by the Crown, ie. public for hunting.

Second, I have been to NB deer hunting. Because of the law requiring non-residents to be guided, any local can get a guide's license for a few Canadian dollars. The last time I went it was $5 (Can). This is all well and good, but a number of the guides are little more than camp cooks and truck drivers. They have no clue where the deer are nor do they step foot in the woods. They drop you off and you are on your own.

Now, I know there are some good camps in NB who do take care of their hunters but do your research.

Best regards, Glenn

1 - 20 of 22 Posts