The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe he hasn't gotten in yet.....

He is #6 in rushing yards, and #10 in rushing TD's.......of course Marshall Faulk got in before him, and he is lower in both of those categories....

And he is the only one in the top 15 in rushing who is eligible that has not gotten in.......

The HOF is a complete joke these days.....

·
Registered
19,651 Posts
If he was a druggie, wife beater, rapist or a gun toting thug he would have made it first time.....for sure.
His time will come and the "Bus" will roll into Canton.

·
Banned
994 Posts
Buckshot1822 said:

He is #6 in rushing yards, and #10 in rushing TD's.......of course Marshall Faulk got in before him, and he is lower in both of those categories....

And he is the only one in the top 15 in rushing who is eligible that has not gotten in.......

While Bettis should probably be in the HOF, trying to justify it by comparing him to Faulk is just crazy. Bettis was not even close to the caliber of player Faulk was. Instead, Faulk's 136 TDs and 19154 yds makes Bettis's 94 TDs and 15011 yards unworthy numbers for the HOF.

·
6,669 Posts
Marvin Harrison didn't get in as well.

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Bettis should be in the HOF by now. He wasn't flashy but for his size I have never seen a running back with better feet. The man was a wrecking ball ! Bettis beat the crap out of opposing defenses week in and week out and if the Steelers had a lead in the 4th quarter....forget about it.
No one in in the NFL was better at recieving and dishing out punishment at the same time than Bettis. Hope he gets in next year.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JerrySS said:
Buckshot1822 said:

While Bettis should probably be in the HOF, trying to justify it by comparing him to Faulk is just crazy. Bettis was not even close to the caliber of player Faulk was. Instead, Faulk's 136 TDs and 19154 yds makes Bettis's 94 TDs and 15011 yards unworthy numbers for the HOF.
8000 of those are receiving yards........and 36 of the TD's are receiving TD's, I'm talking pure rushing stats......

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Buckshot1822 said:
JerrySS said:
Buckshot1822 said:

8000 of those are receiving yards........and 36 of the TD's are receiving TD's, I'm talking pure rushing stats......
The comparison of Bettis and Faulk is irrelevant. In reality they played two different positions. Faulk had a great career as a multi-purpose back, he'd even line up in the slot, in a pass-oriented offense that played indoors.

Using Bettis' career yards-per-carry as a measuring stick is also useless. While Bettis could move and was pretty elusive for a larger man, he was mainly a "bang it" back.

For his role in Pittsburgh, on a team that was absolutely built around it's defense, his contribution is HOF worthy.

Lynn Swann never had big stats. He made a big difference.

The Steelers were in many games where it was about grind it out, run the clock, and just let that relentless defense control the game. A ten-point lead with some of those defenses and then the entire world knew they were going to just pound it and try to shorten the game, and Bettis was still productive to a degree.

Faulk would not have been nearly as productive in that situation. Bettis would not have fared too well if he had to line up in the slot a lot. Each player excelled in their situation and were major contributors to successful teams.

And in that regard, does anyone think that in the comparison of the Faulk Rams to the Bettis Steelers over that time period were the Rams the better team? I think not. Bettis did his role within his team as Marshall did his.

Jerome should be in when you look at it as what he meant to the team during his time.

·
4,245 Posts
There is no doubt that Bettis should be in but Faulk and Curtis Martin both deserved to be in before him.

I don't know that Andre Reed should get in over Marvin Harrison (1102 Rec. 14,580 Yds, 128 TDs) and I certainly don't think Reed should be in before Bettis.

Don't get me wrong Reed was good but compared to Harison and Bettis no way.

We should look at it this way, at least it isn't as messed up as the MLB HoF.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I think he will get in eventually but like stAted before his ypc was only 3.9, that's not real great. He has a good amount of yards. He was a one dimensional back but definitely effective. I think he will get in one day but don't think it was all that big of a snub. Harrison should have been in this year. Just how it goes sometimes with these things. Faulk was a hr hitter, could take the ball to the house anytime he touched it, not so much with Bettis. I understand he is a totally different runner but if you want to bring into argument situational I think Faulk could excel in every situation.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
For that matter Kevin Greene didn't get in either... 3rd all time in sacks. (defensive ends Bruce Smith and Reggie White ahead of him, which should have more sacks than an OLB)

To be sure, charisma and media presence come in to play.

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
I think the Steelers style of play kind of contributed to his low average. They lived by grinding the clock out. Every team knew they were going to run the ball and try to get into a 3rd and short so they always had 8 men in the box on him.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Let’s see, the Steelers in the Bettis era were a run 1st team, about 60% - 65% of the time. All you would hear during a broadcast was, team x has 8 men in the box and Bettis would still get his 1000+yds per season. The other team knew it was a run, knew it was going to Bettis, knew they were running right, 2 out of 3 plays. And what did the Steelers do during the time Bettis was with them - 107 wins, 65 losses, 1 Super Bowl.
Also who were the quarterbacks to take the pressure off the running game, Tomczak, Stewart, Graham, Maddox, Ben. Stewart has 2 decent years and Ben had 1, but the rest of the time the QB passing the ball, was a joke. Also how many games ended with nothing but hand offs to Bettis to ice the game - too many to be a coincidence.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I think the defense had a lot to do with those wins as well. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve the HOF or won't get in, just think its not a slam dunk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts