The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Gonna have to make a trip to Canton. I have a football he signed a long time ago. Hopefully, I can get him to put the "HOF 2015" on it!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
kudu58 said:
It is well deserved and about time. No idea how Curtis Martin got in ahead of him.

Martin had more yards in 24 less games, bettis had 1 more rush td, Martin had better avg ypg, 2 1/2 times the rec yards than bettis, over 2000 more yds from scrimmage than bettis. Bettis deserves to be in but you are selling Curtis Martin short.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
More yards in fewer games is a jaded stat. Bettis took a secondary role with the team in his final 2-3 years to help the team win. Those years hurt his personal stats. Martin was too selfish to take that role when his abilities started to wane, he just retired.
Plus there are intangibles, other than stats that factor in as well.
And I'm not selling anyone short, everyone knows Curtis Martin was an outstanding player and equally deserving to be HOF material. I just don't think it should have taken Bettis this long when Martin got in pretty quick. Not a big enough difference in the two to warrant that.

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
Martin got in first because, IMO, he didn't play for a team that had many good players throughout their history. Not to mention the media loves anything to do with the Patriots, regardless of the fact that Martin had more success playing for the Jets. Bettis was handicapped by playing for a team that has a ton of guys in already.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Finally they got it right.

The yards-per-carry stat is misleading. Many times The Bus was asked to get a yard or two for a first down or touchdown.

He was also pretty agile for a large dude. A rather versatile back.

Finally, how many times was the Steeler game plan obvious? Rely on that defense once they got ahead and ride The Bus? Everyone in the stadium knew he was going to carry most of the load and they still were successful as a team.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I agree some stats don't tell the whole story, but to say curtis Martin was selfish because he retired and didn't take a secondary role with a team is crazy. Guy played 11 years as a RB and sometime your body is just done. He rushed for close to 1700 yds at 31, that's pretty remarkable for a RB. I know Bettis' was used differently and therefore his stats suffered from that. I just believe some of you guys look at thinks through your black and yellow glasses and that's fine I would probably do the same thing if it was my guy.

·
Registered
20,461 Posts
Fuda44 said:
I agree some stats don't tell the whole story, but to say curtis Martin was selfish because he retired and didn't take a secondary role with a team is crazy. Guy played 11 years as a RB and sometime your body is just done. He rushed for close to 1700 yds at 31, that's pretty remarkable for a RB. I know Bettis' was used differently and therefore his stats suffered from that. I just believe some of you guys look at thinks through your black and yellow glasses and that's fine I would probably do the same thing if it was my guy.
I have to agree. Martin was deserving as much as Bettis.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Fuda44 said:
I just believe some of you guys look at thinks through your black and yellow glasses and that's fine I would probably do the same thing if it was my guy.
I'm sure you're right. Usually when the Steelers season is over, football season is over for me. Plus just the fact that he played for N.E. is enough for me to dislike Martin. Still, I did say he deserved the HOF.

·
4,228 Posts
Glad he finally made it. Very well deserved.

Bettis had it tough because he became eligible with Marshall Faulk and Curtis Martin both extremely deserving of the HoF. Add to that his limit role at the end I think voters just looked at other players.

Like all voters for all of the HoFs it is stats, popularity, and how you treat the media. Your position plays a big to role too. Tim Brown shouldn't have had to wait this long either. Hines Ward will wait even longer. I think there is no excuse for Morten Andersen not to be in either.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts