The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed some heavier tires on my F150 a few months back.
One thing I noticed is that the bumps feel heavier and harder...
There seems to be no absorption of the bumps like I was accustomed before.
Any recommendations on shocks that may help this situation ?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Every time I have changed shocks on a truck the ride did not feel better. Probably just me over analyzing the situation. I did level my current truck and used Bilstein shocks as part of the leveling kit and those did seem better than originals. Originals at the time only 1,000 miles on them.

Since you said heavier tires, I'm guessing your new tires have an "E" rating. When I ran those tires I only put about 40lbs. of air in them. If I put more air in the tires it felt like I was riding on basketballs. Try less air if possible. Not sure a truck shock is going to completely solve your problem.

Reactions: mfuff

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I replaced the shocks on my 2016 F150 with Bilstein 5100s. The truck does ride better, and is a lot more stable when towing our camper. I'm running Hankook ATs summer and BFG ATs in winter (two sets of wheels 20" and 18").

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
I have a 2015 F150. The suspension is one of the few things about the truck I'm not crazy about. Very stiff to me. My original tires were the Goodyear Wranglers that came on it. I replaced them with Michelin LTX2 M&S. Didn't seem to make much of a difference. Game Lands and State Park roads where I go, my back end bounces all over the place. It's an uncomfortable ride.

·
Super Moderator
12,793 Posts
I still have a 1997 Jeep Cherokee that I use for hunting, pulling the ATV and leaving parked along country roads. It has 134,000 miles, engine and tranny still good, but a lot of other things catching up with age.....Might have retire it next year... However, so many friends still complement the comfortable ride and seats.....

·
Registered
831 Posts
Trucks are a headache to get the perfect ride, run over a marble pot hole felt like running over a large pot hole. Front end bounce and sometimes honestly the front wheels off the ground, it's one of those what the ---- moments once to many. I been there. What do you do????? The truck was new. I had a 93 Z71silverado no matter what sneakers I put on her rode like a wild horse refuse to be broken in. It came with Rancho RS5000 shocks

My neighbor needed firewood for camp i hauled some for him, after the 1st load I lighten up on the firewood in back of the bed. Front end pointing up to the sky. You get the picture. Not long after that we put an ad in the paper see if we get any business, wow we sure did.

I purchased a set of helper springs for the back, The type you clamp to the top of the rear springs, not the add a leaf style. My gosh did that truck ride a heck of alot better, with a load of firewood in the back it even rode smoother and the truck stood on its wheels level. Best $250 I spent on a truck. Even on a not maintain dirt road, I was surprised how well she rode. I really thought they would stiffen the ride with an empty truck bed. I kept the helper springs on the truck till I sold it few years later.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I installed some heavier tires on my F150 a few months back.
One thing I noticed is that the bumps feel heavier and harder...
There seems to be no absorption of the bumps like I was accustomed before.
Any recommendations on shocks that may help this situation ?
Most likely you'll need to air down the pressure in the new tires to get the ride you like.

Reactions: loridr
1 - 9 of 9 Posts