The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was checking the weather forecast all day yesterday at work, I was worried about the forecasted rain showers. A half to three-quarters of an inch of rain or less and the water would fish well in the streams I was planning on fishing. Any more could make things ugly. I woke up at 4:15 this morning and checked the USGS gauges. All streams within an hour and a half of me were blown out as the rain gauges were indicating an inch plus in all surrounding counties. So with that I went back to bed and joined the wife and kids for the Saturday swim lessons.

While we were coming home, I checked the gauges on my iPhone and noticed they were dropping quickly. Although I typically only fish mornings, my wife gave me the green light and I decided to hit a couple limestoners about an hour away.

I got to the first stream and the small stream was flowing perfectly and had nice color to the water. From the first couple of casts, I knew it was going to be a good numbers day. Not a whole lot of decent sized fish, but enough to hold my interest.

One of the nicer wild browns from stream #1.

Stream #1 flowing nicely

A surprise stocker from stream #1

Halfway through stream #1, I accidently tangled a fly-fisherman up. He was hiding behind a tree and I didn’t see him or I would have jumped out and moved on. I knew it was my fault and immediately apologized. Instead of accepting the apology he asks me rather rudely if “spin fishing is even allowed on the stream”. I told him it was and then he told me “well it shouldn’t be. You people ruin fishing for everyone.” You people ?!? LOL At that point I just wanted to get my spinner and move on. I have too much to lose than to lay this guy out in the middle of the stream. I try not to be prejudiced against fly-fisherman, but I have had too many run-ins lately that’s making it real hard. I shook it off and kept picking the trout off.

After another 30 minutes I started to run into more evil, spin-fishermen and decided to hit another stream. Stream #2 was a stream that I have fished a couple of times before and have done decent on. The flows were perfect, but the water was surprisingly super clear. I started off slow on this stream. I saw plenty of trout and they were chasing the spinner, but wouldn’t commit. I moved up about a ¼ mile and realized there was another fisherman in front of. I jumped out nodded and gave him a decent amount of room. After that the action picked up like it had on the first stream. Again, no size, but enough to keep me happy.

Average size from Stream #2

Another average sized wild brown from Stream #2

Stream #2

I was about to wrap it up for the day and decided to fish one more riffle. I’m glad I did as the biggest of the day came to hand.

I decided to quit on a high note and ended up averaging 15 trout an hour in today’s outing. I love fishing after a storm stirs up the water.

·
20,167 Posts
Nice outing. Even though I only live 15 from those streams I don't think I've fished either in 2 years +. Not sure why though as I've caught many 16"+ browns from stream #1. Its probably because of what you saw. Lots of fly guys and Some of them are quite rude. Its certainly an issue with that segment of fishing. Hidding behind a tree???? Weird.

·
20,167 Posts
Oh....and if you meant we ruin the fishing for everyone else by catch all the fish he wishes he could catch then yes, we're evil (at least to the trout lol)

·
Banned
2,336 Posts
Great fish and stream pics, it's too bad you ran into a guy with a bad attitude, fly fishing elitists bore me, too many guys are so high strung and heck bent on catching a fish, a little sense of humor goes a long way, not all fly guys are like that thankfully.

I would've laughed and said "ha ha, I was hidden so good even you didn't see me" oh well

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Henry David said:
Great fish and stream pics, it's too bad you ran into a guy with a bad attitude, fly fishing elitists bore me, too many guys are so high strung and heck bent on catching a fish, a little sense of humor goes a long way, not all fly guys are like that thankfully.

I would've laughed and said "ha ha, I was hidden so good even you didn't see me" oh well
Not all of us fly fisherman are bad guys. Your experience sounds like mine with alot of archery hunters.

However I believe I would have told him off. It should have been obvious to him that you didn't intend to intrude on his experience.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HighCountry66 said:
Not all of us fly fisherman are bad guys. Your experience sounds like mine with alot of archery hunters.

However I believe I would have told him off. It should have been obvious to him that you didn't intend to intrude on his experience.
Agreed that not every fly-fisherman is a bad guy, but most that I've run into lately have made it tough to think otherwise. I have 2 fly-rods and get out with them 10 times or so a year. I still don't tell people that I meet fishing (especially non-fly guys) that I fly fish on occaision, simply to avoid people stereotyping me with the elitist crowd - I guess that would make me a closeted fly-fisherman?

·
Banned
2,336 Posts
Some fly fishing elitists dislike spinner fishermen because they believe that they all deep hook fish so they don't survive, or use something with trebles which damage the fish. I've seen videos on here with guys using rapalas and releasing fish with little effort, seemingly unharmed.

So you can't just generalize things.

I think releasing a fish caught on a fly is easier but I still take the spin rod out a few times a year on certain streams or in high fast water. Sometimes a spin rod is just more efficient.

·
20,167 Posts
That is the biggest common misconception that fly anglers have of spinner fisherman. I would bet my house that I kill fewer trout on a catch per catch basis then a fly fisherman does. The simple reason is that my size 10 treble is extremely difficult to deep hook while a tiny fly is much easier. Its such an misunderstood arguement they use. Not very well thought out and just a product of drinking the cool aide that others offer over at FFPA and sites like that.

·
Registered
6,917 Posts
There have been numerous studies on mortality from catch and release fishing. With bait fishing the mortality is high.

With both flies and artificial lures, the rate is far lower. The mortality rate with lures is slightly higher than with flies. But for both the rate is a very small fraction of what it is with bait fishing.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Its still unfortunate that someone had to make a comment. Seems to be an increasing trend in guys who want to lay claim to an area whether hunting or fishing.

I try to avoid people and interrupting them. But sometimes its hard to avoid a guy in camo in a tree when your grouse hunting if you never knew he was there. Same as its hard to avoid someone hiding behind a tree while fishing.

I miss the days when a run in with another sportsman resulted in a 5 minute chat and wish of good luck. People are placing priorities in the wrong area. I don't think anyone appreciates an interruption, but a little understanding to each situation should be expected.

Respect and expect respect and try to be cordial. Cross that line and recieve a lashing to put them in their place.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I miss the days when a run in with another sportsman resulted in a 5 minute chat and wish of good luck. People are placing priorities in the wrong area. I don't think anyone appreciates an interruption, but a little understanding to each situation should be expected.[/quote]

This.....what happened to the good 'ol days? Now people can't say hello without get their feathers all ruffled.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I miss those days too. Hiding behind a tree fly fishing is a new one on me, lol.

Out west, I usually see 5-10 guys lined up like telephone poles, as far as the eye can see.

Then facing a 1/4 mile hike, I get in trouble trying to time and sneak a cast in someones back cast zone.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
I dont mind the occasional meeting with strangers on the stream or in the woods. I dont own either or a chunk of either.

What I do mind is blatent disregard for other people so the door swings both ways here. Ive stood stone still to give guys a little shake up who didnt look up in the late season. What bothers me is the guy who sees you coming on the trout stream and he jumps out and runs up to the next hole above him. I usually get a laugh when I keep walking.

·
Registered
6,917 Posts
5crows said:
Out west, I usually see 5-10 guys lined up like telephone poles, as far as the eye can see.
Your fishing the wrong places!

In both PA and CO, you can look at maps of public lands, pick out some obscure streams, and go fish them, and usually not see another fisherman, and have good fishing in scenic locations.

I've done this a lot in PA. And have also done it a few times in CO. And would like to do it some MORE in CO.

In both states, the mileage of streams that hold trout is immense, and more than anyone could fish in a lifetime, even if they fished all day every day.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Yeah, not fishing the Gold waters much anymore. The places I referenced are mostly signed Gold Waters with size restrictions, catch and release, flies and lures only - like Frying Pan River, Blue River, Yampa River, Colorado River around Parshall, South Platte by Deckers - beautiful country, just over fished.

Unfortunately, I cant speak to Pennsylvania from personal experience, but judging from the pictures I see here on HPA, it's beautiful water in PA.

There are always obscure places to protect, when you find them, as you say.

Lets all hope it's always that way!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts