The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got around to prepping my woods plot for the fall. Expanded it quite a bit too with a brush blade and chainsaw to areas that get more light. Also hit it with the first application of glysophate. Should've had this done about 4 weeks ago. Anyone else running behind?

Sorry, no pictures as I left my phone in the truck.

·
Registered
12,254 Posts
I am running behind as well. Building a cabin in Ohio this summer has eaten up alot of my time. What are you planning on planting?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Yes, having a 3 week old baby set me back as well. I plan to throw and mow red clover and brassica/radish into last falls rye within the next 2 weeks.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got Duranna white clover, mixed with some winfred brassicas and appin turnips. I used the winfred brassicas last year and thought they did ok given the light conditions so they got the green light again this year. I never tried the appin turnips so we will see how they do. I'm hoping to re-spray next Sunday but definitely will not have the time to get any seed in the ground. So unless I can get out of work early the seeding won't happen til the following weekend.

Hopefully this rain keeps up! My luck is as soon as I throw seed down we will go into a 6 week drought! 8)

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got about 60% of the plot mowed and seeded yesterday just before dark. I really wanted to get the seed in the ground before this rain and with my upcoming schedule I was worried it would be getting to late in the year. The other 40% really needs sprayed again and then mowed before seeding. I'll probably throw winter rye down in a few weeks when I finally get it finished.

I'll have pictures in a few weeks when it finally looks like something.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its starting to look like something! Pretty happy with how it looks thus far! Sorry the picture isn't the best but it was getting dark and I was in a hurry. I'll get more hopefully this weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I threw down some fertilizer today before this rain comes through. I only had 10-10-10 so that's what I used. I'll probably throw more down in 4 weeks or so.

I thought I was going to have to respray the remaining plot but everything is dead at this point. It just needs cleaned up now, which hopefully I get to in the next week or so. I think I'm just going to put winter rye down because it's getting late to put much else??? Any thoughts?

Here's a few pics I took. I'm pretty happy with the results thus far. I definitely seeded a bit to heavy.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Nice flush of green there!

I wouldn't hesitate to add some white clover with that rye. Still plenty of time for that, IMO, and should green up nice in the spring.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Nice flush of green there!

I wouldn't hesitate to add some white clover with that rye. Still plenty of time for that, IMO, and should green up nice in the spring.
Agreed. We usually shoot for Labor Day weekend for planting cereal grains, clover, radishes, etc. Brassicas and turnips should be in towards the beginning of August.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got the rest of the plot seeded today with primarily rye. Looks like there is some rain coming tonight and tomorrow so I imagine there should be some green in just a few days. I took some pictures which I'll upload probably tomorrow.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Deer love winter rye and it germinates fast
Yep, I expect if I would go over there now I'd see some green with all the rain we've had the past few days. I plan on cutting some shooting lanes Sunday so I'll see then.

Should have time to put some pictures up tonight.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here's a couple updated pictures. There's a big difference in the size of the plants in the areas that receive more sunlight. I'm jealous of those with fields. Although I will say so far this is the wettest late summer I've had since I started doing this and you can tell a big difference. I'll get pictures of the newly seeded areas this Sunday.

Attachments

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Took some pictures of the plot today and it's doing well, although phase 1 planting is getting hammered by the local deer. I set a camera up over it so I'll see what's coming in. I plan on fertilizing hopefully tomorrow if I can before the rain. Otherwise I'll do it this weekend.

OAWC - I moved a exclusion cage into the main area as well so that'll give a good idea of just how much pressure it really is getting.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Thanks for sharing the update pics! It's always nice to see evidence of the deer using the forage you worked to put in front of them. I'm anxious to see the exclusion cage pics in the future.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts