The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3006 pump with peep or 35 whelen with peep ? Both guns carbines I own 3 35 whelen. Don’t own a 06 pump some say 06 cause of the round nose bullet. I going with 35 whelen

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Better gun for tracking in snow

3006 pump carbine which I don’t have or 35 whelen pump which I have 3. Some say 06 cause round nose bullet I think I going with 35 whelen

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Weight, length and "quick on target" would be deciding factors to me, personally...
Whichever of the two you're most comfortable/consistent/quickest with should be your go-to.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
IMHO......if you're tracking.....which you won't be doing if you use this caliber and bullet selection.....is the 45-70 loaded at the minimum load for a 405gr. FPGC bullet. From my Marlin 1895XLR the velocity is 1,567fps.

The farthest any deer had run after the 1st shot was 30 yards. And he was a big buck.

So, it's essentially a bang....down. Just hit 'em in the boiler room.

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
IMHO......if you're tracking.....which you won't be doing if you use this caliber and bullet selection.....is the 45-70 loaded at the minimum load for a 405gr. FPGC bullet. From my Marlin 1895XLR the velocity is 1,567fps.

The farthest any deer had run after the 1st shot was 30 yards. And he was a big buck.

So, it's essentially a bang....down. Just hit 'em in the boiler room.

Steel, I don't think he's talking about blood tracking... he's talking about hunting Benoit style, tracking down a buck in the snow and shooting it.

·
Registered
8,654 Posts
I use a peep-sighted Remington 760 in. 30-06 whenever I am tracking in the snow, unless I am in the SRA, then it's my Remington 870 youth 20 gauge with the rifled barrel and tru glow sights!

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
I use a Remington 7600 in 308, Williams peep WGRS 7400, mounts using same screw holes as rear scope mount. I remove the peep insert, turning it into a ghost ring. I also replaced the front sight with a Williams fire sight.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
The whelen, JMO the ghost ring is easier for quick shooting than a peep, red dot optic not far behind. Guess it's preference and what works better for you as far as sights.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Honestly, I don't want any of the rifles mentioned for tracking in snow. I'll take whatever rifle that's like an extension of my own arms, topped with a low power variable. For ME, that's my Browning Micro Medallion. It's lighter than all mentioned, has a tang safety that's faster than a hammer gun or a crossbolt safety like on the 7600 due to not having to hardly move your tumb or move your trigger finger, has an infinitely crisper, lighter and more predictable trigger, is shorter and just flat out carries better too. I've carried several 760/7600's over the years, I still carry my Marlins around (444 for bear every year), I've had open sights and peeps. A scope is faster and more accurate almost always. The ONLY time it's not is if it's obscured by something like snow or rain.

Reactions: 35 whelen

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Honestly, I don't want any of the rifles mentioned for tracking in snow. I'll take whatever rifle that's like an extension of my own arms, topped with a low power variable. For ME, that's my Browning Micro Medallion. It's lighter than all mentioned, has a tang safety that's faster than a hammer gun or a crossbolt safety like on the 7600 due to not having to hardly move your tumb or move your trigger finger, has an infinitely crisper, lighter and more predictable trigger, is shorter and just flat out carries better too. I've carried several 760/7600's over the years, I still carry my Marlins around (444 for bear every year), I've had open sights and peeps. A scope is faster and more accurate almost always. The ONLY time it's not is if it's obscured by something like snow or rain.
I agree with you on some points and differ on others. First off I'm 72 years young, and for the most part my days of following the track is done. I'll still do it if it's smoking hot and the deer is getting ready to bed, but my body strength and stamina isn't what it was 20 or heck 10 years ago. I do feel it's the most enjoyable, pure hunting that there is.
The 7600 that I still carry wore a 1X4 Leupold for years, but I always felt it upset the balance of the gun. In my younger days it was no problem, but as I aged it became some, so when to the peep. In my IMO, both are fast as long as the scope is lower power. I also carry a pre 64 model 94 with a peep at times, nicer to carry than even the 7600, but probably not as fast. I say this because I never carry one in the chamber when moving. You would think this really slows things down, but over the years I have learned, and practiced bring the rife to my shoulder while working the lever at the same time. By the time the gun is fully mounted for the shot there's one in the chamber, so very little speed is lost if any. Do wish that 7600 had a tang safety though.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I truly enjoy this 16” barrel Ruger gunsite scout in .308 with an extended eye relief 2.75x fixed scope. It’s short enough to grip with the dominant hand and carry muzzle down in several inches of snow without dragging the crown. A scope that far forward on the rifle (although low powered) is as fast to pick up as a red dot. It doesn’t come close to a peep sighted lever gun or pump as far as weight, but that extra pound and a half equals a very sturdy, steady rifle when shouldered. P.S. I did immediately ear tag the deer only seconds after this photo was taken

Attachments

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
I truly enjoy this 16” barrel Ruger gunsite scout in .308 with an extended eye relief 2.75x fixed scope. It’s short enough to grip with the dominant hand and carry muzzle down in several inches of snow without dragging the crown. A scope that far forward on the rifle (although low powered) is as fast to pick up as a red dot. It doesn’t come close to a peep sighted lever gun or pump as far as weight, but that extra pound and a half equals a very sturdy, steady rifle when shouldered. P.S. I did immediately ear tag the deer only seconds after this photo was taken

Not a dig or anything personal, just using this post as a stepping stone for a little observatory rant that it reminded me of:

We've all probably heard someone at one time or another say something like "couldn't find it in the scope" or similar. I've hunted with a fair number of different individuals over the years and I'm completely convinced that at least half (probably more) of the hunting population doesn't have a clue how to properly use a scope. So many folks with their scopes jacked up to 9x walking down narrow a logging road in the laurel. I've watched guys swiveling their 'aimed' rifles around trying to 'find' the target at the range. Guys using those God-forsaken see-thru mounts so they can 'find' the deer first with the open sights and then raise their head up to the scope that's a full 1" or more above where it should be....made especially worse since said rifles are almost always designed with more drop in the comb for use with open sights. It's simple to use a scope, more simple than open sights of any kind. Look at your target, mount the rifle and you should be looking right at that target now through the scope if you've got things adjusted properly. Keep it on low power until you need more....If 9x is required you have time to put it there, if you're walking in the brush 9x isn't going to do you a lick of good in a hurry, but 3x will....leave it on 3x.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Why are you using gas checks at such a low velocity?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
When I developed this load, I went to the range to adjust my peep sight. The first two shots are the low ones. Then when I shot the 3-shot group that formed a cloverleaf at 100 yards....from a bench of course, I wasn't going to argue with GC vs non-GC.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
My favorite for this situation is my Remington Model 7600 30/06 Springfield Carbine(18.5"barrel). I have it scoped with the original short tube Leupold 1.75 x 6 Vari-X III with their HEAVY duplex crosshair.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts