The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only have called open fields with grass and brush in them I was wondering what is better wooded areas or fields surrounded by woods. I havent had anything come out in the fields with brush I only have been out twice though but I set up where I know fox dens and scat are and tracks so I know there there. But should I keep hunting the fields or should I set up in the woods.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Keep hunting the fields if the wind is right. The brushy fields hold rabbits and mice, and that's a food source for them. You want them to think dinner is out there waiting for them. Are you hunting at night or day? If hunting at night stand up in the field when your trying to call them out. Use shooting sticks of some sort. It's much easier to see them at night while standing. Now you can't do that during the day. Then you need to be somewhere in the field that offers hiding and camouflage opportunities such as the edges of the fields or a stand of brush or trees in the fields.

The best thing to remeber is to work the wind properly. All the properties I hunt, I only hunt if the wind is in my favor not theirs.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks zekedogg Ill stand next time at night.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I hunt similar feilds at night and trust me if youv been out 2 times without seeing anything its nothing new, I dont see anything 80% of the times I go. But youll go out one night and see 3 then you go 5 more times with nothing. I belive its just the conditions.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
swpa87 said:
I hunt similar feilds at night and trust me if youv been out 2 times without seeing anything its nothing new, I dont see anything 80% of the times I go. But youll go out one night and see 3 then you go 5 more times with nothing. I belive its just the conditions.
I think it's just been a bad year all together last year I was done deer hunting by november 9th is the last deer I got I had 4 between me and my brother this year only got a does and that was shotgun season I was done in archery last year lol. I just been having bad luck I guess this year. I'll just keep going at it in the fields I hear the fox screaming and barking just nothing comes in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts