The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which is better for deer hunting in PA, a 223, or a 338 Rem Ultra Mag? Please debate respectfully!

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Bigger=Better
The RUM will handle any shot at any angle out to ranges most of us should not be shooting.
Over-Gunned is better than under-gunned every time.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Having taken several deer in PA. with a .223 that gets my vote.I have never "butchered" a deer with a 338 RUM and have no plans of doing so.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
is anyone REALLY taking this post seriously? John...you stirring the stuff again? 338RUM is :rolleyes: too much for deer in PA, only god for texas heart shots. the deer will run for 20 miles with that trash can sized hole in it's ribs. and the 223 is only good for base of head/neck shots...aim for the ear hole or eyeball but for gosh sakes don't aim for the vitals. :shaking head:

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kudu58 said:
My favorite is the .17 Remington. Why isn't it included in the choices???
forgot all about it! Sorry!
Plus, not legal for deer in PA.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
It's kind of like asking which hammer would be best for framing a house. A 10# sledge or a tack hammer.

Save yourself alot of trouble; buy a short action cartridge such as a .243, .308 and be done with it. Shells are cheaper than most and easy to find. Plenty of power and accuracy and is available in many different styles of rifles. It will work for everything you need done. Why complicate the matter.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
FIRST OFF...I think we need to end these types of questions, all it does is get more rediculous with each comparison..this is not even logical!! The .338RM bullet would not even expand on a lowly whitetail, the jackets are to thick and it would pass almost like a full metal jacket..the .223 with a varmint bullet would cause far more meat damage if you could even get it in the vital chest, hopefully no ribs or shoulder blades are touched..other than handloaders I'm not even sure anyone makes a good partition or X-bullet available from a factory..enough already.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
the last two deer i shot were both wounded by the same knuckleheads with 223's hunting from a deer stand bordering the state forest i hunt. this stand looks like you could live in it. roof, walls, vinyl siding, sliding windows, stove pipe sticking out the roof, the whole nine yards. they shoot ALL day on the first day, volley after volley. i had a doe come running past me a couple of years ago and i dropped it with my 35. it had a serious wound in its front end that would have been fatal eventually. as i was gutting it a guy came up carrying a ruger 77 223 and said his son had shot it running across the field with a 223 and they had been tracking it. then last year after one of the volleys of a dozen or so shots, i had a nice buck come up to me kind of limping and i dropped it with the trusty 35 and it had a small caliber wound in the hind end that would have eventually killed it. god knows how many deer these knuckleheads wound that never get recovered. i know a 223 will kill a deer if properly shot but why take a chance? i say hunt with a gun thats sized for your game and take them humanely. 338 RUM is too big and may be moving too fast to expand properly. 223 is too small and doesn't expend enough energy for the shots that don't hit vitals. just like in goldy locks and the three bears story, one's too big, one's too small but the 35 rem is just right.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
John Henry said:
kudu58 said:
forgot all about it! Sorry!
Plus, not legal for deer in PA.
Sadly, it is completely legal for deer and even bear in PA! Centerfire only, no restriction on bullet diameter or weight. Not legal for PA elk though....nothing under .277"!

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Also, I picked the 338 RUM. Not because it's ideal....simply because of the two choices there's only one that is acceptable for hunting deer. It's still WAY too much for deer, but given the choice I'll take too much over too little.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
JasonN said:
Sadly, it is completely legal for deer and even bear in PA! Centerfire only, no restriction on bullet diameter or weight.
My bad. I htought it was centerfire, 22 caliber or larger? Perhaps that was days gone by?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
223 can be real deadly when handloaded, forget the 50 grain factory corelock loads and load up some speer 70 grain semi spitzers or some nosler partition 60s.

·
Registered
12,352 Posts
I never understand the "too much gun" argument. Can a deer be too dead? I've shot several deer with a .375 H&H and ruined very little meat and only had two 3/8" holes in the hide. I don't get it.

·
Registered
9,850 Posts
kudu58 said:
I hope evryone knows this was a tongue in cheek comment with the choices posted. I have never even fired aa .17 of any kind.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I agree to far apart but i went with 338. I too think better to much then not. The post about 22.250 for deer where they talk up 22 cal. deer huntin same thing. It can be done all the star's aline but on the most part NO. None of the 22 cals. were never ment foe deer size game and it's not fare for the game you hunt. For every good kill there is lots of bad kills but those guys stay quiet. I've been huntin deer longer then i'll say and have done well and never thought to shoot a deer in the neck. My goal is ti drop him fast and hard lungs and heart and use enough gun....later

1 - 20 of 49 Posts