The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never shipped a long gun in state so I need some advice on this one. Who is the easiest and best shipper to use? Are there any special forms required? Does it have to be identified as a firearm? Where can you buy a shipping box? etc, etc.... Thanks.

·
Registered
889 Posts
The best thing to do is go to WalMart or a pawn shop and buy one of the cheap plastic hard gun cases. I have bought them at pawn shops for $10 a piece. Last one at WalMart was $18. I even buy two cheap locks to lock the case. Then I wrap the case in either the box(if bought at WalMart), or heavy brown paper. And taped very well.

I use FedEx to ship. They are the cheapest, and fastest, and easiest shipper to use. I tell them exactly what it is.
And show them a copy of the FFL that I am shipping it to. Not necessary to do that. But it makes the transaction go smoother.

Make sure you know the local law to where you are sending it. And were you are sending it from. You did not mention your locality, so only you would know that.

Supposedly you can ship to an in state person without an FFL(you can in WV). Personally I will not do that due to liabilty issues. I wil only ship to an FFL, then let them distribute the firearm. This completely resolves you of any liability in the sale. And any liability of future ownership. That is a no brainer to me, but some people do not want to pay the additional FFL. But those are sales I walk away from. Tom.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I don't tell them anything when I ship a rifle or a shotgun. I've used Post office and UPS. In Pa. you don't need to ship a long gun of any type through FFL only if it goes across state lines, although handguns must go through FFL. The way I see it, I already paid the pics fee when I bought the rifle new. Uncle sam taxs me enough and is into my life to much already. They don't need to know about any of the firearms I sale or buy second hand. In fact, I want a few they don't know about. I have copies of my drivers license and my conceal carry permit photo ID. I physically show people at transaction site and give them copies if they request with my numbers blacked out. And when I sale firearms I always get the same kind of info off of that individual. That covers the JUST INCASE PEOPLE that will chime in here about what if your firearm gets used in a crime and it comes back to you. I will simply hand over the incriminating evidence of who I sold it to with his name and address and his signature on bill of sale I draw up. You can cover your behind without having uncle sam know all your business. Another thing I started doing lately and haven't had any complaints yet is have my wife tag along and take a photo or two. I simply say something like well this was a real good rifle blah blah blah and I'll miss it do you mind if I get a photograph handing it off to you with a handshake or something along those lines. I hate using an FFL when ones not needed--its a waste of money.

·
Registered
485 Posts
i almost always use an ffl for everything. why? easy. i don't want an unknown person to know me or where i live. where one gun lives there are usually more. better be security minded than set up for theft. i plan for the worst and pray i am wrong.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I see your point and well taken, but I'd venture to say a thief in that category isn't going to have the kinda cash to buy one of my firearms anyway. Nor will he have a valid drivers license or conceal carry permit. Basically, it comes down to whatever you the individual is comfortable with. Plus, you have to get a feel of the person. I only sale to guys on here or another forum I'm a member on. Could there be thieves lurking on a hunting site. Yeah sure, I guess,but I think this would be the last place a thief would look for prey. And I highly doubt there is. They like picking on old, young, sick , weak etc. type people. Thieves aren't stupid and I think they can put two and two together and realise the hunter will have other firearms and know how to use them if he decides to breach the hunters home. Furthermore, I only sell to guys that have been a memeber for awhile. I would never sale a firearm to some stranger off the street. And it seems I've always sold and met guys that are 2 hours away(lol) or more and I split the ride time with them. I highly doubt there going to venture from Pottstown or Philly to rob me.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
HOGGHEAD said:
I even buy two cheap locks to lock the case.
How does the other party open their new gun case? Do you ship the keys seperately or put combination locks on them then give the buyer the combination or do they have to destroy the case to get the firearm (since they didn't buy the case anyway).

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Jock said:
HOGGHEAD said:
How does the other party open their new gun case? Do you ship the keys seperately or put combination locks on them then give the buyer the combination or do they have to destroy the case to get the firearm (since they didn't buy the case anyway).
haha

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
I am not going to attempt to address the misinformation contained in some replies here....

Quite simply, obtain the PA driver's license copy of the buyer. They can redact their driver's license number but you need to verify they are at least 18 years old and a resident of PA. You can then ship the long arm through any common carrier to their DL address....

The USPS is the most convenient. fastest and least expensive, using Priority Mail service. Sending it insured with Restricted Delivery service (Deliver to addressee only) will ensure your buyer must sign for it, thus keeping it out of the hands of kids or anyone else, as well as confirming receipt by your buyer.

The USPS will supply you with a free Priority Mail carton suitable for shipping your long gun. Wrapping it in several layers of bubble wrap will protect it. Tell the USPS clerk the package is Fragile and it will be marked as such....

You have no obligation, as a non- FFL licensed person, to verify the ability of the recipient to own a long gun.

All the above can be verified through ATF and USPS resources available on the Web.

IIRC, no package containing a firearm of any kind, may be labeled as containing such...Federal regulations prohibit this....

·
Registered
889 Posts
Jock said:
HOGGHEAD said:
How does the other party open their new gun case? Do you ship the keys separately or put combination locks on them then give the buyer the combination or do they have to destroy the case to get the firearm (since they didn't buy the case anyway).
I ship the keys-taped to a piece of cardboard in a separate envelope. These locks keep out everybody, except the most hardened criminal. And you are not keeping them out.

As I said I make sure it goes to an FFL. If the guys above want to take a chance then go ahead. But just because a guy has a drivers license or is a board member, or you have his information. That means nothing. I know people who have all those things are not legally allowed to buy firearms for many reasons.

IF you want to open yourself up to that can of worms. Then by all means go ahead-it is your business. But there is no way I am going to open myself up to that can.

I have worked hard all my life to have attained what I have. No way I am going to open my self up to a law suit and loose it all so someone else can save a dime. Tom.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Not sure how USPS can be different in different states?? But in WV the only way you can ship through USPS is if you filled out a card prior to shipping the package. Then USPS approves the card and allows you to ship through that Post Office only.

If you walk up to a USPS office here in my area of WV they WILL NOT ship without that prior approval, been there. But it could be different in different states. But I can not imagine a state more liberal than WV on gun laws??

And how would you possibly be able to check out if a person is legal to accept a firearm without the FBI doing a back ground check??

Again I agree with you that it is legal to do. But legal and prudent do not always mix. Tom.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
You do not need to "check out" a buyer as long as you are not an FFL holder.....

No responsible person should ever knowingly sell to a person not permitted to own a firearm.........

The USPS has NEVER asked me if a package contained a firearm....only if the contents are liquid, fragile or perishable.....I'm sure you know that USPS regulations are not different in each state....

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
You live in Philly and you ship your shotgun to a buyer in Pittsburgh who could be a felon you do not know this.WCOs find felons hunting with firearms quite a bit. Your buyer in Pittsburgh uncases his new shotgun and immediately kills his wife. You cannot tell me you did not assume some liability in this transaction????

·
Registered
889 Posts
burk313 said:
You live in Philly and you ship your shotgun to a buyer in Pittsburgh who could be a felon you do not know this.WCOs find felons hunting with firearms quite a bit. Your buyer in Pittsburgh uncases his new shotgun and immediately kills his wife. You cannot tell me you did not assume some liability in this transaction????
Absolutely correct!! Tom.

·
Registered
889 Posts
winchesterbob said:
The USPS has NEVER asked me if a package contained a firearm....only if the contents are liquid, fragile or perishable.....I'm sure you know that USPS regulations are not different in each state....

So basically you are not telling the USPS that you are using them to ship a frearm?? That deception is not for me.

How do you buy insurance?? Or how would you expect to claim an insurance problem?? If you do not tell them what is inside?? Personally I think tht is taking a big chance. Tom.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Excerpted from USPS Regulations. So long as other applicable laws and regulations are being followed, you do not have to declare, only state the rifle or shotgun is unloaded and allow them to inspect if asked....

11.3 Rifles and Shotguns

Although unloaded rifles and shotguns not precluded by 11.1.1e and 11.1.2 are mailable, mailers must comply with the Gun Control Act of 1968, Public Law 90-618, 18 USC 921, et seq., and the rules and regulations promulgated thereunder, 27 CFR 178, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not precluded by 11.1.1e.

That's as clear as I can make it....and, BTW, I suggest you refrain from using words like deception when you have no clue what you are talking about...

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
HOGGHEAD said:
winchesterbob said:

So basically you are not telling the USPS that you are using them to ship a frearm?? That deception is not for me.

How do you buy insurance?? Or how would you expect to claim an insurance problem?? If you do not tell them what is inside?? Personally I think tht is taking a big chance. Tom.
You do not need to tell them what is in the package but, there is no reason not to. It is perfectly legal to send a long gun through the US post office. Just tell them it is fragile, insure it for what it's worth and off you go.
I send most everything through to USPS, priority mail (which puts it to your customer in 2-3 days) and if insured for more than 200 it requires a signature so your covered!
NO reason to make such a fuss - your not doing anything illegal!

·
Registered
536 Posts
My post office clerk asks if it's a firearm and I say yes and inform her it's unloaded and taken down (bolt removed which is required) and do not fill out Postal Service form 1508 that's for manufactures & dealers only, no paper work needed.
I had rifles I received from UPS & Fedex come damaged with broken stocks and [censored] footprints on the boxes so I ship USPS with insurance $200 and up require signature & don't forget delivery confirmation.
As far as shipping in state proof of ID and PA residency is all that's needed to be legal, but like said above a local sheriff background check would not hurt.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts