The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. So basically like the title says whats some of the best recipes and methods for cooking pheasant? I shot pheasant for the first time this year and at the moment just have them all cleaned soaking in salt water, which is what i usually do with my small game before i cook it, takes out a little of the gamey taste. i assume you can cook it any way that youd cook chicken, but what ya'll think?

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
I usually cook mine off and then make either Pheasant corn soup out of it or I make some pot-pie out of it. That seems to be a hit with non-game eaters. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Phesant can dry out quickly. If you want to bake it, I recomend a 'browing bag' which traps the moisture.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
theres no gamey taste in pheasant. do not deep fry it or it will be ruined. i like to stick it in a roasting pan with about 3" of water covered in season salt. cook about 375 for an hour.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
correct no gamey taste to pheasant no need to soak it
unless Your brining it for smoking, any chicken recipe will do as long as You make an effort to cook it slower at a lower heat to prevent drying , Im kinda partial to pot pie pheasant

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Try this, I did it with chukar breasts on Sat. and it came out delicious. Cut the breast meat in strips like chicken fingers. Salt and pepper the strips and roll them in flour, shake the excess off and dip in an egg wash, then roll them in Panko bread crumbs. Put them in a skillet w/ about 1/4 inch of oil and fry them on both sides till golden brown, it doesn't take long and don't have the oil too hot. I served mine with a horseraddish dipping sauce.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
This is basically the same why I make mine, sometimes I boil off all meat for homemade pot-pie also.

I make wild turkey breast this way also.

John S said:
Try this, I did it with chukar breasts on Sat. and it came out delicious. Cut the breast meat in strips like chicken fingers. Salt and pepper the strips and roll them in flour, shake the excess off and dip in an egg wash, then roll them in Panko bread crumbs. Put them in a skillet w/ about 1/4 inch of oil and fry them on both sides till golden brown, it doesn't take long and don't have the oil too hot. I served mine with a horseraddish dipping sauce.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts