The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Voted 6mm cause I just got one. Really believe you should keep deer and varmints seperate.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
The thread title say "varmint/deer" so I voted .243. But the survey is titled "varmint/biggame" so I assume that would include bear too in wich case I'd have to go with the .260 of the cartridges listed.

·
Registered
25,487 Posts
6mm Rem would be a good choice, so is the 243. But since I have had a severe case of 25-06itis for over 30 years, had to go that way.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
All in all you'd be hard hard pressed to beat the 25/06...a slight overkill on varmint but sweet for deer,bear and maybe an elk with great bullets..

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kudu58 said:
The thread title say "varmint/deer" so I voted .243. But the survey is titled "varmint/biggame" so I assume that would include bear too in wich case I'd have to go with the .260 of the cartridges listed.

Well deer are not the only big game that these cartridges are suitable for. I think we can mostly agree that bigger guns are better for Bear, Elk, and Moose but there is more to big game than just those already named. You just have to think outside the PA box.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
6-DASHER said:
All in all you'd be hard hard pressed to beat the 25/06...a slight overkill on varmint but sweet for deer..

That was my choice as well. Always wanted one. I'm tempted to go order a Marlin XL in .25-06 right now but I just moved out of my house and am moving into a friend's house. All so I can move again in a few weeks. I think I'll let the smoke clear and the dust settle and then go get my .25-06 in about a month or so. But I may go .243 hence the poll.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
As much as I love my 6mm,I've always considered the 25-06 as being sort of a "Super 6mm" since I can get about 300 FPS more with a 100 gr. bullet out of it...Way out in a field that means something.I do prefer the 6mm as a "groundhog only" gun , however.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Well, I've killed deer and varmint with 243, 257 R and the ever popular 260. If you are thinking bigger than deer, then only the 260 is adequate, and this is because of larger bullet weight.

BUT, if you are thinking anything bigger than deer then none of those are BEST.

·
Registered
25,487 Posts
The late gun writer Bob Milek, regularly killed elk with a 25-06, although he seldom recommended it to others. He mostly hunted them where he lived, so he knew the country, the elk and his 25-06 equally well.

Another well known writer that was a good friend of his, once said that in Milek's hands the 25-06 was plenty for elk, but other writers made a point of kidding him about it anyway, since most of them were busy touting magnums for elk.

According to that writer, Milek never minded being teased about being short, or for using such an "inadequate" cartridge.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I voted 6mm, since I have killed groundhogs out to 500+ yards & deer out to 310 yards. Works pretty good for both in my opinion.

·
Registered
995 Posts
hmmm...25-06 or .260 since I think that most 100 grain bullets that are commonly on sporting good shelves are on the light side for game bigger than deer.

I shoot 25-06

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
As the post asks varmint/deer, so other big game is not in the question. Try for a post on track would be different. Elk, Moose,Pronghorn, Sheep, and Caribou and a 25.06 can be next. Yes Mule deer, Whitetail, And Pronghorn has 25.06 all over it with the 120 gr. bullet. The 25.06 for a duel Pa. gun is just about the best you could do. Another one is on my list they shoot very well good choice of bullets and fun to load for. Good 500 yd. chuck gun good deer gun ...later

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
700varmint said:
I voted 260. dont knock it till you try one.
Pretty much what I was going to say. Its my Pa Deer/Bear gun, and accurate enough to make a mess out of chucks a long way out there.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I'm a huge .243,6mm fan but i would like one of those 260's.That said I don't think there is a better gun for Pa than the .243.Only because the 6mm's are getting scares especially factory ammo

1 - 20 of 42 Posts