The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just sent my project Mauser Creedmoor parts out to be machined and wondered what you 6.5mm shooters prefer in rate of twist and what type/weight of bullet you are shooting. Please include barrel length as well. Thanks.

·
Banned
751 Posts
Re: Best twist for 6.5mm deer rifle?

120 IN MY 260 WITH A 1 IN 8 AND 140 IN MY 6.5X55 NOT SUR OF THE TWIST IT IS A TIKKA HUNTER

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Best twist for 6.5mm deer rifle?

Thanks erinreed.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
For myself anyways I got a 26" Hart barrel, and it's a 1-8. Most all guys go that way I've found. Twist rate is best for the heaviest bullet you'ed be shootin. With factory they twist over a range of bullets so they don;t need to break it down to 1/2". I shoot 95gr.bullets in my Cmoor and they do spin. @3100fps they shoot flater then I first thought. Since the .264 bullets have high B.C they do seem to fly. I've onlt shot 120 and 95's so far and very happy with results. Just me but my Cmoor is the nicest cartridge I've ever owned, and I've had many to compare with....later

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ordered 1-8 and now I'm glad I did. Seems to be the sweet spot for most. I switched from 1-9 at the last minute. Thanks to all. Probably try Some Hornadys in 140 grain. Best coefficient of their factory loads. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Nice I'm sure you'll happy. Post up some pictures of your mauser when you get it, time will move slow now for you waitin. I thought of my rifle everyday waitin, I was like a little kid. It was and is worth the wait. You'll have a rifle that is only yours not another like it. ......later

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I bought a Model 7 Stainless in 1997 in 260. Can anyone tell me the twist rate of that barrel?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
B&G. Yep. I remember your wait. It'll be unique alright. Never saw a custom small ring Model 98 with a number 1 contour barrel with large ring barrel/thread diameter that I recall. First thing is getting the barreled action back hopefully by late June. Then if my semi-inletted stock gets here by then, it's time to rework the bolt release a bit, match the metal to the stock and finish the stock while the metal gets hot blued. I'm hoping to take it to the range by early September. I'll post some pictures along the way.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Call Remington and ask for the number for the custom shop. Very friendly last time I called to date a ser. no. TEL: 1-315-895-3288

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
PA/MDBowhunter said:
Dutch said:
I bought a Model 7 Stainless in 1997 in 260. Can anyone tell me the twist rate of that barrel?
I believe it's 1 in 9.
Thats what I thought but someone mentioned 1 in 10 maybe?

Either way, it shoots well and I'm satisfied with it, especially since I had the stock dipped.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Guess that's it then. Thank you

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dutch. What bullet weight are you shooting in your 1-9 twist Rem .260 and what's the barrel length?

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I'm shooting 120 and 140 Sierras. Both do well.

I could never Nosler Partitions to shoot, so, stuck with the Sierras. Both loads were a result of lots of shooting back in 1997 and 1998.

Oh, and I believe its a 20 inch barrel.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dutch said:
I'm shooting 120 and 140 Sierras. Both do well.

I could never Nosler Partitions to shoot, so, stuck with the Sierras. Both loads were a result of lots of shooting back in 1997 and 1998.

Oh, and I believe its a 20 inch barrel.
Good to know. Appreciate the input.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts