The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best truck you ever owned and was sorry you got rid of? Mine was a 1968 Chevy Stepside, 6 cyl 3 speed. It wasn't a 4X4 but I could go just about anywhere in it as long as I put something in the back to weigh it down. Here is a pic of it:

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
I think my favorite was my 95 White Chev standard body 8 Ft bed 4.3 2 WD drive.......But then I liked my 04 4WD, I liked them all.......

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
'77 Dodge Powerwagon, shortbed with a '72 318 in it. My Dad had it for about 6 years then gave it to me....I had it for 9 years. When it finally blew up, I had 220,000 on the truck, around 265,000 on the motor.

We had to add angle-iron under the bed to stiffen it up because it was basically rotting away....I had no cab corners nor rocker panels....The side marker lights in the fenders were held in with bondo and duct tape.

But I'll tell ya'.... I'd hop in there...pump the gas 6 times, hit the key and it would fire right up. And shut right off. 2 more pumps, hit the key and that thing would purr like a kitten.

Smoked like a pig....I had anti-fouling plug adapters on all 8 cylinders. Looked like I was fogging for mosquitoes if I'd rev it up a bit.

It burned an/or leaked about 1 1/2-2 quarts of oil a day...I bought oil by the drum. Forgot to put oil in it one day and locked up the bottom end of the motor.

But parts of it still live on. I gave the rears to my cousin's husband for his '74. Gave the tranny and transfer case to the brother-in-law for his '76, Body and frame were junk.

Best, most reliable, most beat-up truck I have ever personally seen.

Then again, there was the '77 Chevy 3/4 ton with the '78 vette motor......

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
93 w350 dodge ram le. Cummins turbo diesel with a 5spd reg cab. Had it from brand new paid $20k for it got rid of it in 2009 for 3k with 342k miles, but rotting out bad. Only ever needed a water pump, tensioner , clutch , and the mechanical fuel pump(pusher) .plus normal stuff ,brakes, u joints axle seals drums, rotors, etc.. I could get 22-25mpg on the highway empty, and there was no computer stuff on it!

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
My favorite truck by far was my '02 F-150. It was an ext cab with the off road package and 5.4 V8. I put slightly bigger tires on it when I burned the first set off. That thing would go anywhere. It had a ton of power and was just fun to drive. Also got decent gas mileage out of it for a full size truck.
The reason it was really my favorite though was that it was like a good luck charm for me. As long as I owned that truck, I could do nothing wrong. Met my wife with that truck and just slayed the game while I hunted and fished out of that truck. I mean I couldn't even set foot in the woods and I shot something, caught tons of trout, etc. Just about brought tears to my eyes when I sold it.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I liked my dad's '68 step side like the OP's truck. It had belonged to a Morton Building rep and was a mess when we first got it...cheap. Three on the tree and a 4 bolt small block that replaced what ever Chevy sent out the door.

The front end was loose and rattled, the bed floor was shot.

Dad rebuilt the front end and searched out the rattles one by one. He re-did the bed wood and added a HD rear bumper made from 3" angle that was about 1/4 thick.

It was a real truck! Metal dash, no cup holders. Recovered bench seat...

Slap it into 2nd & crack the 4 barrel & hold on!

My 05 Silverado 4.3 is too tame by comparison!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I'd have to include three 4x4's for different reasons:
1.Sheer power...77 Dodge Ramcharger with tricked out 318 V-8
2.Best in the mountians...91 S-10 Blazer nic-named "The Tickmobile" by my wife....small enough to get just about anywhere on small logging roads where big trucks couldn't go..a young fella still drives it daily.
3. Current workhorse and nicest by far...01 Tacoma with TRD off-road package.
Each has served me well !

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
A 91 F250 highboy that was a tank. Averaged 10 MPG and used oil at the end but NEVER got stuck no matter where I took it.....unlike my Duramax

·
Registered
36,616 Posts
Been driving Ford 4X4s since 1966 and am currently driving a 2000 Ford F 250 which I am more than happy with. My favorite was a 77 F 150 4X4 351M. Did plently farm work with it, drove it to New Brunswick afew times for bear hunts; which at one time I sunk it right up to the frame, but it pulled it's way out. One time went down to the farm in the spring and Dad had the Ford 9N and a full manure spreader stuck in the muddy field. Hooked up the Ford and pulled them out! That thing was a tank. Finally had to get rid of it because of moving and no place to store it.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I got a 77 Blazer in 89. Still have it too. Raced it, towed with it, hunted and camped with it, mud bogged it, trail ride in PA coal country and the Smoky MTn's and Ohio just beat the tar out of it all around. Currently it has a 454 HO 425 HP crate motor, 7 inches of lift, 35" Swamper Boggers, 1 ton 14 bolt rear with 4.10 and Detroit Locker, Dana 60 front, Warn 8274 winch up front and a Warn MX 8000 out back, fully manual Turbo 700 trans with reverse pattern valve body mated to a NP 205 and a B&M slapstick with full Auto Meter Pro-Comp gauges inside. And PLENTY of holes because rust never sleeps with that vintage Chevy. I won't list all the broken parts and blown motors along the way
but it's a long list. I'd be lying if I stated it never got stuck because that is why it has 2 winches.

The best mod I ever made to it was tearing all the carpet out. WHen you get it stuck and the water is covering the brake pedal there is no way to get that smell out of carpet.

·
Registered
20,583 Posts
I had a 78 F-150 2WD back in the day. 302 and 3 on the tree. I'm not a big Ford guy, but I wouldn't mind having that one back.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Had a 82 gmc 4x4 short bed..had the 250 straight 6 in it..put 375'000 miles on it and it had the original clutch and pressure plate..changed oil every 3000 miles and never replaced anything other that wear and tear parts..I've had 2 avalanches,4 silverados since 2000 and non will ever win my heart like that old pickup!!!

·
Registered
20,874 Posts
For everyday driving,huntinh,light hauling etc.,I thinl it's hard to beat a Chevy 1/2 ton ext cab.The one's I've owned got decent gas mileage were comfortable,ran great off road as long as I had a limited slip or locking rear differential.I use my trucks extremely hard and other than eating an occasional ball joint or u-joint,never had a problem.The last two I've had were 2500 hd's because I tow a very heavy horse trailer,several time s a week.Reliability wise,I've never had an issue and these trucks get pounded very hard.The 6 liter got ridiculously poor gas mileage,rode like a tank and was crap off road.Last year I bought a Duramax with an Allison transmission and it hauls great and gets way better fuel economy.I put a two inch leveling kit and pretty aggressive tires which help quite a bit with the poor offroad capability but it still leaves alot to be desired in that category.Other than that,I really like this truck.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I've had a bunch of other good trucks besides my Blazer over the years. Wish I coulda kept them all. 85 Chevy crew cab dually with a 468 and a 110 gal aux truck tank in bed ( tank was plumbed to truck for long hauls ) , 96 Chevy ext cab dually with a really worked up 462, Brodix alum heads, custom built TPI (OE was a throttle body), full roller cam and top end, handbuilt headers, beefed up 4L80E, 98 Chevy 2500HD ext cab 454 and a 5 spd handshaker, awesome all around truck and it got 17 MPG if you left your foot out of it.

YEs I like big blocks..........

Gettn married, building a house, havn kids, starting a business all really can affect what your transportation needs are LOL. My daily ride now is a 02 2500HD crew cab short bed Duramax 6 spd handshaker. I ordered it new and it's got 216,000 on it now.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts