The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, looking to eventually buy a compound bow so I can practice over the summer and maybe go out during the archery season nexy year.

What is the best time of the year to buy a bow? I know the archery season just ended, do I need to buy now or would it be ok to wait till after the new year? I see that Cabela's already has some stuff on sale in the Bargain Cave. I'm ok with buying one now but I'd prefer to wait till after the holidays.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
If you are looking for a hunting bow, between now and February you will find the best deals on discontinued models in each name brand, and used bows. Brand new, just released models are out, and many guys are selling their current bows to buy the new ones, as well as guys who just want to upgrade to a newer model.

Before you run off to the big box stores, surf this site for other advice given to new shooters. Overall, you will find that most will encourage you to try different bows, shoot as many as you can, visit other websites that specialize in archery sales, and most will agree that to get fitted into a bow and get it serviced, find a proshop near you to work with. You will be much happier with the results.

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
seoulstice said:
What is the best time of the year to buy a bow? I know the archery season just ended
Right now! There are many disgrunted bowhunters selling their bows....

Seriously, shop around and find one that fits your needs. Spend some time on looking for one that you feel comfortable with. Try some bows out before buying and don't rush into buying one just becasue they are on sale. Talk to some guys/gals at a REAL archery shop and listen to some folks that have suggestions and reccomendations on what you are looking for. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
7,917 Posts
One thing to keep in mind....

The local shop I go to had me wait till after the Harrisburg show. He said that he has a hard time keeping stock available AND having enough for the show. Once the show was over and he was restocked, that was the time to buy. I wound up waiting till June so I had the cash on hand, but I would say mid-March is a great time if your pro shop sets up at Harrisburg and sells bows.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll probably start looking now but take my time and shop around.

Tdd, what bow shop do you frequent? You're not too far away from me. Some people have said that I should check out French Creek Outfitters in Phoenixville since they are a Mathews dealer but I haven't had the best customer service experiences there so I don't spend money there any longer. My friend's grandfather goes to one north of Hamburg but I can't recall the name right now. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Woody's in Wernersville is a Mathews dealer. I've only dealt with him a few times. Some of them were even pleasant, but sometimes he is a little on the grouchy side.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Do your self a huge favor buy from a small pro shop some where and stay away from big stores like cabelas, bass pro, and the other like them. The guys at the small shops will take the time to help you out and make sure everything is set up right for ya!

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
At the time, buying from a shop in the early spring was great.

Got a new bow, great price, the undivided attention of the technician, and a comfortable buy. No rush; no in season.

Now I can see someone buying anytime during this recession. For a used one or a financially tight shop and a new one, anytime between now and early summer should be great. When hunting season is over, a lot of hunters won't be in the market to buy. Less demand; Best chance to get a deal.

But always be wary. Some might sell high just to cover overhead.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Best time to buy a bow, or gun for that matter is when the $$ is in hand!!

Seoul, check out D&S Archery in the Oley area.

·
Super Moderator
7,917 Posts
seoulstice said:
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll probably start looking now but take my time and shop around.

Tdd, what bow shop do you frequent? You're not too far away from me. Some people have said that I should check out French Creek Outfitters in Phoenixville since they are a Mathews dealer but I haven't had the best customer service experiences there so I don't spend money there any longer. My friend's grandfather goes to one north of Hamburg but I can't recall the name right now. Thanks in advance.
I go to Weaknecht's in the Kutztown area. Some people don't like them, but Rick has always treats me well and makes sure everything is right. I've been going there since I can remember, and since Rick's dad ran the place. He doesn't deal Mathews, though. I don't know why, didn't bother to ask.

I liked the Hoyt bows he had, and I wound up buying a Bowtech Captain, which I love.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Weaknechts is cheaper than most places,I paid a little more at peak performance,but the service was the best I've ever had.every time I had trouble,they took care of me right away.too many problems with weaknechts to mention,and I never even bought a thing from them.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
+1 on Archerytalk. This time of year is great, guys are dumping their 09's for the 2010's...(speaking from experience
)

·
Super Moderator
7,917 Posts
fishkrane said:
Weaknechts is cheaper than most places,I paid a little more at peak performance,but the service was the best I've ever had.every time I had trouble,they took care of me right away.too many problems with weaknechts to mention,and I never even bought a thing from them.
Some people recall the Hamburg shop that was run by another family member. There were lots of issues there, and I won't go into them here, and I don't feel it's appropriate to do so.

The currently existing shop in Kutztown has always done right by me and continues to do so.

Where is "Peak Performance"?

·
Super Moderator
7,917 Posts
uplandr said:
+1 on Archerytalk. This time of year is great, guys are dumping their 09's for the 2010's...(speaking from experience
)
The snobbery and attitude on AT are a serious drawback (no pun intended), though.

I have also used the classifieds there and got some good deals, but I try to avoid most of the discussions if I can help myself, lol.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
tdd said:
fishkrane said:
Some people recall the Hamburg shop that was run by another family member. There were lots of issues there, and I won't go into them here, and I don't feel it's appropriate to do so.

The currently existing shop in Kutztown has always done right by me and continues to do so.

Where is "Peak Performance"?
+1 for Peak Performance in Allentown. They are very knowledgeable and are willing to help you with any issue you may have.

Ever since my "incident" with Weaknechts bow tuning that almost sent me to the hospital, I will never consider going there again. That "incident" sent me to Peak Performance and I love the service there.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
if you are looking at saving money, buy now. if you want see what "new and improved" bows will be out for next hunting season, wait till march.

happy hunting

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
308Havoc said:
if you are looking at saving money, buy now. if you want see what "new and improved" bows will be out for next hunting season, wait till march.

happy hunting
I'm not sure where you are buying- but the new ones are out now- Hoyt has come out with the Maxxis Line, the Alphaburner, and a $1600.00 bow that I won't even touch for fear of putting my wife in jeoperdy of homicide.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
I got to shoot that $1600 Hoyt bow yesterday at Autumnsky Outfitters in Harford County MD. A Hoyt rep. had one there in all black-----Pretty cool looking---Ill stay with the new Alphamax 32 I just got!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts