The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I always use Enticer slate calls by Al Holbert of Rome Pa, just bought, but have not used the new Toxic glass call, have to wait an see.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
ShurShot07 said:
I always use Enticer slate calls by Al Holbert of Rome Pa, just bought, but have not used the new Toxic glass call, have to wait an see.
I must agree. Mr. Holbert makes a fine call. I bought a "Pennsylvania Thunder" Glass call with a laminate pot from him about ten years ago. It's ALL turkey.I also like my matching pair of Cody "Woodsman" calls. One each in slate and glass with Cody's heavy hickory and now discontinued bocote striker.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Generally you will find a higher level of quality in custom calls but there are many quality production calls out there too. Can't tell ya how many birds I've called in with my old HS Strut little duece II. Won't win any beauty contests but for a $20 call, it sure has put alot of birds in front of the gun. I prefer all my slates to be over glass. It just sounds better to me and helps the tone reverberate. Try other surfaces too , like glass, aluminum, ceramic, and copper. All have unique sound qualities that make them versatile and appealing.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I only have five slates... I'm partial to my Mountain Hollow Double Slate, but every time I pick up my Primos Jackpot, I wonder why I don't carry it more often.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
My go-to call is my Cody Spec 1 slate, good things happen when I pull it out.

I also run a Cody World Class pretty frequently, and plan on giving a Gobbler Call and Tree Talker from Roger Parks some woods time this year.

My buddy in Tyrone builds some killer friction calls, check out his Facebook page under Mac Calls.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I like my Mountain Hollow Gobb-Stopper. Also my Knight & Hale Yella hammer, and Of course the original Knight and Hale ol' Yellar.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
my favorite slate call i ever owned was the Lohman slate thunderdome. they dont make them anymore. now i use Enticer Pennsylvania thunder glass with wood pot. and for loud calling, on windy days, i use Primos power slate.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Over the years I have tried quite a few, but what I found was that the striker that came with it never gave me the best sound on the slate I was using. I have a glass call now I think is a MAD and the striker is the oldest HS strut ever that I broke the glass out of the call. It produces the best sound and is the most mistake note free combo I have.

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
I used my new A+J slate over glass in Ohio on Monday, had a longbeard and six hens come in first thing in the morning. The tom strutted around my decoy at 20 yards and some of the hens were at ten yards. Could never get my bow pulled back on him before the hens spooked.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts