The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am selling off a bunch of collectible patches and a nice bayonet to fund the purchase of crossbow # 3. I have 2 with 4 X scopes already and am not wild about them in low light conditions. What works for you ? I tried the red dot and hated it, perhaps the green dot ???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,908 Posts
The new Hawke XB-30 is one of the very best crossbow optics I have seen. It's much better in low light than the 3 power Hawke scopes. The quality is much better too, and in my opinion it's more in line with Leupold.

You could also use a 2x7 Leupold scope. Many people use them and have great results with them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,467 Posts
I have a Parker Magnum Crossbow, and the red dot scope that came with it was junk. However, the 3 dots are absolutely necessary, as well as knowing the distance to your target, or a deer. The factory scope was way off at 20, 40 and 50 yds. I found a Ten Point scope on e bay. The seller said he was color blind and had problems seeing the dots but it worked OK. I bought it and mounted it on my bow, and I love it. It is easy to adjust and is on at those distances. The dot contrast goes from light to heavy very easy. I would say stay with a low power scope and maybe try a green dot. There are companies around that can change the color of the dot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
523 Posts
I use a 40mm bushnell 3x9 circle + rifle scope. I do not like the multi line scopes. With a xtra high mount I sight in at 25 yards and it is 11/2 inch low at 30 yards (my limit) and just an inch high at 15 yards. This works great for me but maybe you will not like it. Just mite be worth a try.
Good luck, Stant
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
699 Posts
I tried a 4 power rifle scope on my crossbow> I zeroed the crosshair at 25 yards,used the bottom of the duplex for longer distance and the top duplex for shot.rember the click ajustment is a quarterinch at 100yd.most crossbow scopes are 1 click is a half inch at 20yds.Also the focus at close range was terrible with the rifle scope.I went with the Excalibur varizone,it only has 1 vertical and 1 horazontal crosshair.The multi-retical made the scope clutter and confuseing to me.Hope this helps
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,626 Posts
I tend to agree that most of the 4X crossbow specific scopes out there have junk glass. The light gathering is not close to that of most quality riflescopes.

Take a serious look at the Parker Pin Point and the Hawke XB-30. Both should be available in about a month. The Parker has one red dot with a target turrets to dail in the range and the Hawke will have the traditional Hawke illuminated multi crosshairs and a adjustable speed ring to adjust for the speed of your bow. Both will hit the street at about $260.

Both of these scopes will have high end glass and will eliminate many of the shortcomings of the low end 4X stuff.

With that being said, you could always opt for a traditional 2X or 1X riflescope with a single crosshair and fixed power or a adjustable from 1.5X to 5X. Hawke optics will tell you it is fine to put their riflescopes on
crossbows and not worry about the reverse recoil. If thinking about another manufacturer, I would check with them to see if it would void the warranty or not.

I plan on topping my Excal with the new XB-30 when it hits the streets.

Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
386 Posts
I just bought a Matte Leupold 1-4 with heavy duplex and set up for shotgun parallex(60 yards. I believe). Will have to experiment to see how it works out. It will be keep on 1 power most of the time. That scope on one power is definately good for low light.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,617 Posts
I have an Excal Lumizone on my PSE crossbow now and will likely transfer it over to my new Terminator. I never crank the light up all the way but putting it on a notch or two in low light helps with the illuminated reticle. Plus as was mentioned, only one crosshair with additional yardage increments delineated with arrows on the verticle crosshair. Less clutter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
833 Posts
arrowhead said:
The new Hawke XB-30 is one of the very best crossbow optics I have seen. It's much better in low light than the 3 power Hawke scopes. The quality is much better too, and in my opinion it's more in line with Leupold.

You could also use a 2x7 Leupold scope. Many people use them and have great results with them.
Are Rifle Scopes subject to damage on a crossbow or is this just a "Old (Shooters) Wives tale ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,908 Posts
John E. Horton said:
arrowhead said:
The new Hawke XB-30 is one of the very best crossbow optics I have seen. It's much better in low light than the 3 power Hawke scopes. The quality is much better too, and in my opinion it's more in line with Leupold.

You could also use a 2x7 Leupold scope. Many people use them and have great results with them.
Are Rifle Scopes subject to damage on a crossbow or is this just a "Old (Shooters) Wives tale ?
I think about any scope is subject to damage on a crossbow. I do know that some scopes seem to take the pounding better than others. Lots of guys are using the 2-7 Leupold with good results. The Hawke is built with crossbows in mind and will probably be the best choice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,264 Posts
i've heard same thing about gun scope on x-bow. no good. mytornado has hawke with 4 horz. cross hairs works great. i can see right to dark. i like to shoot close shots so hawke seems good....later
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
4,565 Posts
The Hawke MAP is fine for me.I think any scope manufacturer would want you to think you can't switch them around between weapons.Crossbow,shotgun and rifles.They say you can't use them or they will be damaged.A 50 year old Bushnell from a rifle is on my 50 cal muzzleloader inline.No problems so far.In fact I have never had any scope problems using Tasco and Bushnell.I see in the rifle forums guys having problems with high ends scopes like Leupold.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
I picked up a Horton Legend SL (new old stock 165 # ,still in the box) It only came with the standard Peep Sight, I am ordering the scope rail that replaces the peep sight, but where I hunt, my maximum shooting will be under 30 yards Max.

I was thinking on just putting on a regular 2-7 power NcStar compact scope on this.. But from what I am reading, regular rifle scopes wont take the abuse from a crossbow? Is this because of the vibration?

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
I'm using a older bushnell sportveiw 4 power rifle scope, shot over 200 time's with no problems at all! and thats on a strykeforce.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I understood that some types of recoil wear differently on scopes like air rifles. I didn't know if that included crossbows also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,908 Posts
eastcoasttraps said:
I picked up a Horton Legend SL (new old stock 165 # ,still in the box) It only came with the standard Peep Sight, I am ordering the scope rail that replaces the peep sight, but where I hunt, my maximum shooting will be under 30 yards Max.

I was thinking on just putting on a regular 2-7 power NcStar compact scope on this.. But from what I am reading, regular rifle scopes wont take the abuse from a crossbow? Is this because of the vibration?

Thanks.
We have Horton scope rails in stock for $29.50

I talked with a Leupold Rep. on Sunday that told me thier scopes will work just fine on a crossbow. The reason some scopes won't work is because a crossbow has reverse recoil, like an airgun. If the scope isn't built for it, they just tear themselves apart.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
833 Posts
I can vision a Hawke Varmint II "Mil-Dot on top of my "Space Gun", how do they perform ? + with Leupold Quick Detachable rings it could move to my "Horton Turkey Bow".
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top