The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What has everyone found to be the toughest to defeat? Please no smart comments such as dont leave it in the woods! I know if somone really wants it they will cut down the tree. If you could not tell someone just stole about $250 worth of my stuff and IF I chooose to put something else out there in the future I'd like a nice deterrent. Unfortunately kryptonite does make treestand specific locks.

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
i try to make my treestands invisible....i place them in very thick areas....i know this isnt always an options but for me i have been able to get away with it and have not lost any hang ons or ladders.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Thick cable loops on the end and a circle lock never had one stolen with that will need seious bolt cutters for it i had one stolen then i bought this

·
Registered
777 Posts
I like my python locks you can get up to 4 keyed alike now.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Have most all mine in really thick stuff (private only leaving hang ons up) too and no problems yet. Will be hanging another real soon along our property line/ SGL and visible from a foot path. I'll have a lock/ chain on this one, but it's remote enough that i don't think many will venture by it except maybe rifle season. I believe visibility is a big key to keeping stands safe. I've walked by many stands over the years on SGL and couldn't believe they were still there year after year... those guys are very lucky!! I'm sure many others saw them in addition to me too.

·
Registered
18,428 Posts
When it comes down to it, if they really want it they are going to take it no matter what you do.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I have a set of 5 folding steps that are always what I use first to get into the tree. I take them with me after each hunt. After that, I may use screw ins or climbing sticks. I also use a cable lock on the stand. Other than that, you can't do much more without taking the stand with you. My thought is if they are going to steal it, I'm going to make them work their butt off for it. Good luck

·
Premium Member
24,023 Posts
I have an expensive older Summit Mega Sampson Ladderstand i leave out & wanted to protect it with something a boltcutter etc. wouldnt cut. One would have to tow power cutters in to cut what i got made. Only problem is this custom cut 10' chain w/lock weighs over 50 lbs with the ABUS padlock & cost almost as much as my stand! Just hope someone doesnt cut the tree down & steal my ABUS Lock/chain!! LOL

ABUS Maximum Security Chain
New ABUS KS 10 -12 or 14 mm
Square bar chains
Chains are made from a special hardened alloy

Maximum security against all types of aggressive attacks

Available in 10mm, 12mm and 14mm diameter

Available in lengths from 1' to 100', with or without sleeve or pre-cut 6' lengths (with sleeve).

Chain Dimensions

Inside link
10mm - 9/32" or 15mm
Outside link
1 11/32" or 34mm

12mm - 11/16" or 17mm 1 3/4" or 44mm
14mm - 25/32" or 20mm
1 27/32" or 47mm

1 - 12 of 12 Posts