The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
What about Osprey scopes? Anyone used them? The price looks good..

·
Registered
252 Posts
What about Osprey scopes? Anyone used them? The price looks good..

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
I just grabbed a hawke from EABCO and i have to say...so far very impressed. heading to the range now to sight it in and check the wheels. will report later.

Paid 59 for it on clearance. http://www.eabco.com

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Get on EBAY and look for MCSTAR scopes..They are cheap in price,clear and accurate..I have one on a 30.06 pistol and it is holding up nicely.I own about 6 of these scopes and had no problems yet.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Just got back from the range, and the Hawke is hands down the best 59 bucks I ever put on a scope. It's better than any other scope i've put on any of my weapons and I'd definitely buy another.

it took me 4 shots today to get on target - a group of 3 centered 3" low and 3" right at 50 yards. came left 24 clicks and up 24 clicks (1/[email protected] per click) and the 4th shot was literally dead center on the bull. I also happened to run into a guy with a chrony at the range and fired both my 308 with factory winchester ammo and my hand loads thru, and my 22mag with the hornady 30gr vmax.

mine has the 30/30 reticle (30MOA span on the tips of the thick parts of the post...i will work out a range card later. I forgot to check the height at zoom levels today.

After sighting in to the bull at 50 yards, I proceeded to box the next target moving the adjustments 32 clicks left and up, fired a shot then moved 64 clicks right, fired a shot 64 clicks down, then 64 clicks left, making a perfect square, then 32 up and right to bring back to center. the shots on center touch. I'm done. Just need to adjust for my hunting range and now that I know my MV, i can load up the ballistics calc and i'll be pretty confident at any range up to 350-400

It was really surprising to see just how much better the optics in the Hawke are compared to the BSA.

I'm not a big fan of chinese scopes and would prefer japanese glass on an American made scope...its just that my budget doesn't have enough budge in it for that right now. Someday...but for now, this Hawke Endurance fits the bill. If you can drop a COUPLE more dollars on your budget, EABCO.com still has a few Hawke Frontier (japanese glass) available
http://www.eabco.com/store/products/Hawke_Frontier_Riflescopes_Clearance_Japanese_Optics-1865-0.html
(dangit!!! they dropped the price on them again...i should have gotten this scope (KICKING MYSELF HARD)

89 bucks. DANGIT DANGIT DANGIT!!!

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Another Old Hunter Reminder

Made me realize anew, why I take very good care of my old hunting and fishing gear.

They work and don't exist anymore. Not at those prices.

I have two working rifles I paid less than $100 new, and it would break my heart to have to pay over $100 for a new scope.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Re: Another Old Hunter Reminder

I like the Bushnell trophy line. I have one, and for the price I can't complain at all. They work well. It's "almost" as good as my Nikon buckmaster scope. The Nikon isn't any clearer, but it is a tad brighter. Course it does cost twice as much so it should.

Don't bother with the Banner. I have one of those as well, and it's no where near as clear as the trophy.

Not sure if Bushnell still makes the sportview line of scopes. I bought one for my 22 in 4x about 10-12 years ago, and it's gin clear. I put it on my 12 gauge slug gun about 5 years ago, and it's still holding up well.

I tried some other less expensive scopes over the years. Tasco, Simmons, BSA, but they are hit and miss at best. I don't like the Simmons at all. Tasco aren't too bad, but I would rather spend a few more bucks on the Bushnell trophy. The BSA I had broke after 6 shots.

There are some people on here that look down on anybody that doesn't have a scope that costs $500 or more. Good for you. I'm glad you can afford such a piece.

Others will tell me to get used. I don't buy used scopes. I will sometimes trade if I get the chance to check it out first, but to buy one site unseen isn't going to happen. I'd hate to have to tell my wife why I just wasted all that $$$$$ we don't really have for something that don't work or wasn't what I expected.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Re: Another Old Hunter Reminder

i'm with you HF365...i was a little nervous when i bought the Hawke. I'd love to have someone else with a high dollar scope take a peek thru it. A zeiss it is not, but i'd run it against a Nikon or 3200 any day of the week. I liked my BSA too...until i put the Hawke on my 308. now the BSA just looks like peeking thru pond water. I see an upgrade coming soon for the 22mag.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Barska scopes seem to be of good quality and are inexpensive. Go to cheaper than dirt and you can read reviews on most of the brands today.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
seriously, look thru a barska and then look thru a tasco. you will take the tasco. and that's not saying much...but to each his own. i don't subscribe to all the hooplah about lupeys and some of the higher end scopes...but to be honest, IF i did have that kind of dough, i would definitely own a S&B

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
A good used scope that was originally $150-$175 like a Bushnell Elite 3200 or a Burris Fullfield II.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts