The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a variable power scope that gathers the most light and provides the best eye relief for a deer rifle. I have had Simmons, Bushnell, and some other mid range scopes in 3 x 9, etc. My eyes have gotten worse the last few years and I notice it takes some time for me to find my target in the scope anymore.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Any brand, any mid range power for deer.

Thansk to all and Happy New years

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Was told that Nikon optics are one of the top right now and can still by them for a reasonable amount. Find one that has a focus able eye piece, you can change with just a twist and set for your eye.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Think low power, the lower the power the wider the field of view. Do you really need 9 power, the majority of deer killed in PA are done so at less than 100 yards. My self, I use a 1x4 but also like the 2x7.
I have always like the Leupold brand scope, yes a little more money, but a lot of quality.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I only buy sightron and Leupold. I just got a 4-12 VX-R it has a 30mm tube and a lighted dot in the center, expensive yes but quality is excellent. if you have a 30k Harley why buy a 5 dollar helmet? anymore a 700BDL is well over 500 dollars and its only as good as the sights (or scope in this matter)

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
IMO, you may just find what you need in a quality fixed power scope.

I learned from my Dad, He had 3x9's on every rifle he owned. I did the same thing. But then I came to the conclusion that for my particular hunting style (mostly still-hunting and some drives) I would just set the scope on 3 and never touch it again.

The last 3 rifles that I have scoped all wear a 4x. You can get much better quality glass in a fixed scope for the same price as a middle-of-the-road variable

I personally have never felt underscoped with the 4x.

·
Registered
555 Posts
You'll need to try them out to see what your eyes like. The scope that delivers the best image to one individual may not do so for the next guy that picks up the scope.

For example, so many swear by Leupold. To my eyes, however, my VX3 does not come all that close to my Conquests, Meopta or ZA5. I have a hard time putting the Leupy much above my Elite 4200s. The Zeiss and Minox optics are a clear winner to my eyes.

If you go top shelf, ie Swaro, Leica, Zeiss (Victory), etc., you won't likely find something that doesn't work for your eyes.

In any event, you should go try out the scopes you are considering to discover what works for you. Go somewhere that you can try the optics outside rather than only in store. Doing this as sunset is ideal.

What's your budget? That would help us to give you an idea of which scopes you should check out.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Unless you're hunting big farm fields you probably don't need higher than 5-6X max and 4X would probably do. Most scopes with a 40+mm objective are usually 3X at the lowest but you might find a 2-?. I have Leupolds and they're good but prefer either Zeiss, Trijicon, or Nikons for their brightness. The Zeiss conquest 3.5X-10 by 44 is about my favorite for brightness and large view. I just wish it came with a lower starting power.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all. Rovert.....budget not really an issue. Personally, I have a hard time spending more on a scope than I did for the rifle, but I know the optics make the gun

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I have a Zeiss Conquest 3x9. They are 399 at cabelas. If you are a club card member, you will periodically get a card where can get about 75 off a 400 dollar item. Get yourself a candy bar, hit your 400 and you will have one heck of a scope for around 350 out the door.

It is brighter than my Leupold VX III. No question about it.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I have a few Nikon Monarchs that are crystal clear and gather light really well. I have had many different kind's of scopes over many years, now I find myself keep coming back to Nikon's.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Nikon or cabelas brand. Check the bargin cave at cabelas. I've got some good deals there. Also try to get like a 3-9x50. That will give you a big sight window. Make sure your rifle can accept a big lens though.

·
Registered
10,906 Posts
I have a lot of scopes and always favored Leupold. A few years ago I bought a 1 x 4 Zeiss Divari. The Zeiss is incredible. It is tack sharp and great in low light. I made side by side comparisons with a few Leupolds and the Zeiss was clearly superior. They are expensive but worth a look. It is now my favorite scope for deer hunting. I just wish I could afford a few more.

·
Registered
389 Posts
You are dead-on, DF. A few months ago, I was in a local gun shop and they had a Zeiss Conquest; and I asked to see it and the optics were crystal clear. I said to him, this is a lot better scope then a Leupold, isn't it? He said, "absolutely, there's no comparison". I should have bought it for my 243 which has a cheap scope on it.
Maybe when my ship comes in!

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
i know others will disagree but for me, the quickest acquisition is on a lower end bushnell sportsman 4x. i pull it up to my shoulder and its like looking through a magnified picture window. the sportsman line is pretty darn good for how cheap they are. i have the 4x on a 35 marlin and keep looking for an excuse to put something better on it but every time i pull it up to my shoulder its perfect. i have the 3-9x40 on a 22 and its the same. granted, these ain't 400 yard scopes but for most PA hunting they are great. if you want to go up a few levels, go for the bushnell elite 4200 3-9x40. it is crystal clear and is what i use on my squirrel rig where you need a big FOV for moving targets.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just bought a Hawke Sport HD 4x12 for $119.00 with lighted reticle in green and red. Very clear and has a 50mm objective so it is very bright. For the price I thought I would give it a try and everyone who looks through it comments on how clear it is.

·
Super Moderator
24,073 Posts
peterst66 said:
Just bought a Hawke Sport HD 4x12 for $119.00 with lighted reticle in green and red. Very clear and has a 50mm objective so it is very bright. For the price I thought I would give it a try and everyone who looks through it comments on how clear it is.
I have the same scope on my 223 I love it and it's crystal clear, I was quite surprised on how clear it is.

·
Registered
10,906 Posts
RichinPA

I just received this e-mail from Natchez. I have this scope and it is real close to the Zeiss in all respects.

I did not mention it before because I have not seen them advertised recently. It is a great scope for the $.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?con...&src=BE1090

1 - 20 of 22 Posts