The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What you guys OPINNIONS on the best saw for some TSI work? I'm talking hinge cutting and thinning out of lesser quality trees. Trail cutting and cleaning up around stand sites. I haven't looked into it alot yet I have only looked at STIHL so far. I'm looking at the MS 192TCE or the MS230CBE also the MS250CBE. Looking to expand on my efforts and figured the next thing I needed to tackle is the TSI. Gonna take a good overall look at the property and decide where to start. The plots are in and I know what I'm doing with them for this year. I have to work on some property line screening also. Is our work ever done???? Thanks in advance for any replies.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Depends on what you want to spend. Stihl and Husky are top notch. They both have "pro"saws and "homeowner" saws. A 192 is a great saw, the other two you mentioned are toys. Thats fine for the average once a year guy who trims the branches out of the yard. If you are going to use it alot, spend the money for a good one. Don't buy any Sears,Poulan, Homelite, etc. they are junk. Look at an Echo 330, sounds to me like thats what you are after without breaking the bank.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been seeing alot of echos around. A friend also said check into the johnsonred. He says they are a great saw. I will have to check out the echos.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I have an echo I cut 5 to 6 cords a year it is a great saw for the price. I had to replace the sprocket this year and buy the tool to remove the clutch but had no other problems. A buddy of mine has a stihl about thee same age and had to get it fixed twice something with the fuel lines

·
Registered
536 Posts
390 Stihl ( may be a 391 now) is a great pick. Lite enuff to use all day. Can run a 20" x .050 x 3/8" bar/chain ok if needed and swing a 16-18" bar really good. I have a MS200/ MS 201 16" bar with a rear handle I luv for that stuff but awful expensive if you only use occasionally.

I have owned a 192 and while JTL may be on target and I agree with him 99.999% of the time I gotta say the 192 and 180 saws I USED to have were absolute junk. The 192 was gutless and the 180 had a crappy dial chain tensioner and garbage air filter that didn't filter. They both run the Picco chains and if you even pinch just a little bit it bangs up the drive links bad enough you have to grind the burrs off to get the cahin to run in the bar. They also only run the steep taper (low kickback) bars. If you bore cut at all well... good luck with that and those models.

I do agree with JTL assesment on your other 2 picks. I have friends who run Echo stuff. It seems to run a long time without much maintenence but they sure don't cut like a Stihl or Husky.

Stay away from all box store saws. They are not the same stuff

Jonsered is a husky with different stickers. Got a logger friend who has several and runs the snot out of them. Seem to hold up well for him.

Dolmar is a great saw if.... you have a good dealer for parts support. Not that they need worked on often in my experience but getting parts seems to be usually not in stock. They start very easy, have great power to weight ratios, cost less then Stihl and Husky.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I have a Stihl ms200 pro that I really like. It is my go to saw for cutting logs and does a fine job.

I also have an Echo cs-330T that I use for the smaller stuff. It is very light and every bit as capable at cutting wood. I use it more than the stihl these days and I couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Been running a Husky 55 (pre-Rancher) since 1998. The thing is a BEAR !! Sadly, it seems that the more recent box store Husky saws are not of the same breed.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I don't cut any real big stuff. I do alot of TSI work and cut 5-7 full cord a year. Recently expanded to hinge cutting. For most of my cutting I use a stihl 180. Featherduster is correct with most of his observations about the 180. I also have a 261 but I find it overkill for 4-8 inch trees. I do use it for heavier firewood cutting. I wish I could find a pro quality saw that weighs what a 180 does.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Featherduster said:
390 Stihl ( may be a 391 now) is a great pick. Lite enuff to use all day. Can run a 20" x .050 x 3/8" bar/chain ok if needed and swing a 16-18" bar really good. I have a MS200/ MS 201 16" bar with a rear handle I luv for that stuff but awful expensive if you only use occasionally.
The Stihl 390 is the way to go. I have one and it is a good all around saw. Plenty of power yet light compared to my 038 and 460.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Since you asked for a saw that will be used for TSI and hinge cutting it seems to me as though you are looking for something you can easily handle. The 391 (replaced the 390) looks like a lot of saw for an "occasional" user. Also, the price point appears to be similar to the price for a 261. The 391 is a farm/ranch saw while the 261 is a pro saw. The 261 is almost 3lbs lighter.
You don't specify what your experience level is. The fact that you are on a forum asking for advice suggests you may not have a tremendous amount of chainsaw experience, but I could easily be wrong.
For wading around in the brush, working on sidehills, lifting a saw to do horizontal cuts (required for hinging), for a weekend warrior you may want to go with a smaller saw and work toward a larger saw as your experience grows.
As far as brand goes - dealer proximity is a major consideration.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Spent a couple hours hinge cutting this afternoon taking advantage of the nice weather. All of what I did today was with my stihl 180. Hinge cutting is hard work compared to stump cutting. Having a light saw that more than adequately handles the up to 6 inch trees that were my prey today was a case of having the right tool for the job.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
HomeintheWoods said:
Spent a couple hours hinge cutting this afternoon taking advantage of the nice weather. All of what I did today was with my stihl 180. Hinge cutting is hard work compared to stump cutting. Having a light saw that more than adequately handles the up to 6 inch trees that were my prey today was a case of having the right tool for the job.
That's why I love my Echo so much. It's light enough to hang from a belt and chews up the wood. I can carry it around the farm without the need for a tractor or the gator.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I have a Stihl 270 and it gets the job done for a weekend warrior. Decent weight and while it doesn't cut like a pro you don't pay the pro price either. My 270 has the dial tensioner and I know the pros and guys who think they are pros hate it but I like it, no issues and beats carrying tools into the woods.

My dad bought the cheaper Stihl top handle saw last year since it's light weight and it's great if you want to hinge cut but not much power. I don't hinge much but use it for small stuff.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I have a Stihl 039, a Stihl 026, and a Stihl 362. The 039 is nearly 17 years old, the 026 probably around 15 years old, the 362 is brand new. If I were going to use one for just TSI, I would probably use the 026. If I wanted a saw for TSI and firewood and cutting larger trees, I would pick either 039 or 362.
If you do not already have them, invest in a pair of chainsaw chaps and protective helmet w/ear muffs and face shield, sturdy leather boots (8" or 10" high)and make it a point to wear the protective gear when running a chainsaw.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts