The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the guy who only hunts PA and puts on deer and bear drives with the gang in the big woods and laurel thickets and swamps?
I'm going to say the Remington pump .30-06 comes pretty close to ideal. What say you?

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I dislike pumps.....

Had a guy throw lead with a pump at a spiker that was crossing between us.....

I like measured, one shot kills. Pumps are for spraying. Spraying leads to, well, bullets flying into parts unknown.

I know guys love the pumps, I'd prefer not to hunt with those that do. Just me.

·
Banned
4,279 Posts
fordman99 said:
That's probably the first choice for many but don't count out a model 94 in 30/30 or .32 Special.
Killed my 1st buck with a model 94 in .32 Special. I think the production of the mod.94 stop in 2006. I wonder how many of these 94's were made? Anyone know?

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dutch said:
I dislike pumps.....

I like measured, one shot kills. Pumps are for spraying. Spraying leads to, well, bullets flying into parts unknown.

That's kinda harsh.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Freytown said:
fordman99 said:
That's probably the first choice for many but don't count out a model 94 in 30/30 or .32 Special.
Killed my 1st buck with a model 94 in .32 Special. I think the production of the mod.94 stop in 2006. I wonder how many of these 94's were made? Anyone know?

The books always say between 5 and 10 million. I've taken the Big Three in PA with a model 94.

·
Registered
805 Posts
With the scenario you set up, Bear drives I would give the nod to the 35 Rem, in one of the lever guns, short barrel for fast shots in the thickets, and hard hitting.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
moosehunter said:
Dutch said:
I dislike pumps.....

That's kinda harsh.

I do admit to having seen the same behaviour you describe however. One time a group of five drivers were walking to set up their drive and they all had pump 06's. A large buck was kicked up and tore out across the field in front of them. They managed to get all 25 shots off in a few seconds. One shot hit the buck in the rear quarter and killed it. I would not have wanted to be on the wrong end of that barrage.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
In 2000, I sat on a ridge overlooking the farm country of northern Potter. One gun, ran off 10 straight shots. Never heard that before in my life. Must have had a 10 shot mag on a pump. In a matter of minutes, he ran off another 10 shots.

He had to be shooting at running deer as they crossed fields. And yes, there are enough houses in that area that I'd have worried.

·
Banned
4,279 Posts
Dutch, I think the problem was the hunter...not the rifle. I'd bet he would have emptied a bolt quickly too.

Ya, I know that you know that too. FT

·
Registered
706 Posts
I'd personally take a 20"-22" barreled Remington 700 in 260 or 7mm-08. Otherwise a Kimber Montana in either 7mm-08, 260, or 7mm WSM would fit the bill quite nicely.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Freytown said:
Dutch, I think the problem was the hunter...not the rifle. I'd bet he would have emptied a bolt quickly too.

Ya, I know that you know that too. FT
A pump lends itself more to rapid fire, JMO. The mindset of one that buys one is firepower, again, JMO.

One shot, one kill. If you need to be pumping lead thru the woods at running deer, you need to rethink safe gun handling.

Know your target and what's beyond. Not always possible when shooting at running deer in a woodland setting.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
THAT is an expensive hobby right there. LOL

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
it's really hard to discount a good slug gun for PA deer and bear. it packs a whallop, handles well, and can manage out to just past 100 yards easily with the right food.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I hunt alot in WV and PA. Now my PA hunting is in Greene County. At one time we spent alot of time hunting just across the MD line near a small town called Everett. If anyone hunts in the Everett area then they know that driving deer is very popular in that area.

They shoot the heck out of the deer while driving. And they expend alot of ammunition in those drives.I have seen alot of crippled bucks, and dead does(when there was no doe season) in those woods. And alot of those guys will shoot at anything with horns, running or standing still. So I am in somewhat of an agreement with the above poster about being reluctant to hunt with the drive hunters who spray alot of lead.

I stopped hunting in that are because of those nuts. About 8 of them opened up on a buck running across an open 600 yard field. I was sitting in the wood line, but at 90 degrees to the deer drive. So the standers were also at 90 degrees to me, and in the wood lines to my left. Thank goodness I could get behind the tree. I do not know for sure how many shots they put into the trees where I was sitting, but I would guess that it was 20 or so.

When they stopped shooting I went after two of them, and punched them both in the jaw. I should have whipped all of them. The one idiot said well no one ever hunts in that woods.

Personally I like the pump rifles. I have a couple of them. I really like my 30-06 pump carbine. It handles very well. but I normally only put one extra shell in the magazine. For a second shot if needed. But it is never needed. Today I do almost all my hunting with a single shot rifle, and only take the one shot. I stopped shoting at running deer many many years ago. It does not matter how large the buck is. I have shot a few nice bucks after they ran a long way. Normally that buck will stop somewhere, and I wait for that shot. If you fire him up, he ain't stopping. If you wait, alot of times that buck will make the fatal mistake and stop-and look back. Then he is in real trouble!! Tom.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts