The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for opinions for the best rifle (308 or 30-06) for under $500 new. I have looked at the TC Venture and liked it except the plastic clip. The Savage 111, Ruger American and Browning A-bolt are other options. I will be staying away from Remington due to recent poor reviews of their newer guns... Opinions please...

G

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
they juist did a complete test of all rifles under $500 its in one of this months books, i was reading it in wal mart. the marlin xl came in first, then weatherbys vanguard 2 , then rugers american, howa was there savage was there , but if i was to buy any of them hands down would be the weatherby vanguard 2

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I had a Ruger American. Great rifle, my fater in law just liked it more than me...lol I was able to get nice small groups at the range. Nice triger and good all round weapon.

Koz

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
ruffedg, the vanguard 2 is a strong rifle action, and shoots excellent groups,it is also a good looking rifle, comes in good choice of calibers, and also you can get it in all stainless, plus it comes in the 257 weatherby mag along with other mag calibers and standard cals.

·
Registered
12,854 Posts
If the Weatherby Vangaurd II Deluxe was $500, I would buy 2 of them!! They are really nice. I just prefer the wood stock.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Give the savages a long hard look. I dont care for the axis series but others love them. If it has an accu-trigger look it over. I picked up 114 in .300 win mag 2 years ago and it is flat out the best shooting rifle I have ever owned. I know the 114 series is about your $500 price max but savage has alot of guns in that price range.

·
Registered
651 Posts
The marlin's and mossbergs both shoot well. Lately the tc venture in 280 has been calling to me. Ruger... never again. Even though i have issues with my 700 ( my fault) i'd consider a nice used 700 if it was 10 yrs old. I;ve heard guys complaing of the new guns finish and rust issues even with proper care.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
The Ruger American seems the best to me. I've owned the Savage and the Marlin and the Ruger seems like a better gun.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
In the $500 price range I would choose the Weatherby Vanguard S2.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
for 500, i have a Marlin xs7 in 308 with a custom stock, decent glass, and enough reloading gear to make it shoot ragged holes all day long. I'm extremely happy with my purchase(s). If you shop hard enough, you will still be able to find a pre-remlin-ton new haven CT built gun before the barrel makers got a little disgruntled. quality dipped for a while but the rifles seem to be okay again now with the occasional but rare lemon. Warranty is good and they still stand by the rifles so even lemons turn out to me lemonade. Mine was a dead ringer out of the box. Shot federal and winchester cheap box ammo from wally world into acceptable 1" groups right away. I now have a few hundred rounds thru it and it's settled into a very accurate rifle, particularly with the handloads. Some of the most accurate ammo i have made to date was made with federal or CDC (magtech) brass in a Lee Classic Loader.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
jayd4wg said:
for 500, i have a Marlin xs7 in 308 with a custom stock, decent glass, and enough reloading gear to make it shoot ragged holes all day long. I'm extremely happy with my purchase(s).
LOL! Really, you got all that for $500?

I guess something is subjective, but by my calcs... A box of bullets is at least $20, a pound of powder is $20, primers are relatively cheap. A set of dies is $35 and cheap press is at least $100. Cheap scope rings are $25 and a sling is $20. Thats $220 and the rifle is what $350. And depending on your definition of decent glass, which I can only assume is ok yet bottom of the line is around $200. I don't have any idea what a custom stock would cost as good replacements are $200.

Either you stole that gun or you forgot how much you paid.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
mdmlm said:
they juist did a complete test of all rifles under $500 its in one of this months books, i was reading it in wal mart. the marlin xl came in first, then weatherbys vanguard 2 , then rugers american, howa was there savage was there , but if i was to buy any of them hands down would be the weatherby vanguard 2
This! Vanguard. Good shooters and well built.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I'll check posts like this to stay informed of changes I may have missed or don't know. Just in case, I have to acquire one.

Then I start thinking of the old, accurate, well taken of products, such as rifles, and realize the best for me is already paid off -for some years.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
299 for the rifle, 35 for the lee classic, hawke 3-10x50 for 49 at E.Arthur Brown, and boyds stock for 99.
Not counting the expendables, I even had enough left over for a sling.
One hole performance with more time to invest in the nut behind the butt with an accurate, reliable rifle. Again, i could not be happier with my purchase(s).

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
SURRRRRE got quiet in here now eh?

Just to be clear, it's not all roses, daisies and cloverleaf targets with this rifle either. my ONLY 3 complaints about the rifle as it comes out of the box.
1. no 3 position safety. Rem-lin-ton is working on this and the 2013 version MAY have a true 3 position safety. Its' unclear right now if this will be retrofit to previous rifles. I doubt it.
2. the stock stock is FLIMSY. A check to Boyd's shoudl be sent the week before picking your rifle up at Cabelas.
3. No DBM. ifyou don't know what a DBM is, then don't worry about it. Some people don't mind a blind magazine, but I'd like to have support for a 5 and 10 round DBM. I'm working on modifying my rifle to take one. If i can get a solution worked out, I may be happier, but i'm also not cutting a hole in the bottom of my boyd's stock. the DBM would be put on with the factory tupperware which i've also stiffened dramatically with a piece of aluminum angle stock. and some epoxy. it's not pretty, but it stiffened up the forearm alot.

Have at it...I like my rifle. And even though I like to tinker, i'll probably leave well enough alone now and focus on the nut behind the butt for any future improvements.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts