The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
What about dehumidifing? Is it better to do it inside the safe or at the basement level? If done in the safe, what is the best method?

If you have the safe on the main floor, you can usually bypass a dehumidifier, since your air conditioner removes much of the humidity.

If you safe is in the basement, I would recommend some kind of dehumidifier for the basement itself, as well as something for inside the safe as well. There are plently on the market, and the merchant who sells the safe probably has them for sale as well. Basement humidity is really rough on guns.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Any place that delivers INTO the house.
I run a dehumidifier in the room and place the large "Inhibitor" rust prevention plug inside it and never a problem with rust. They recommend the plug be changed every 2 years.

·
Registered
12,086 Posts
been thinking of getting one, but I wanted to avoid the electric lock. Don't know if this is still possible, but he says he was invited on a hunting trip at the last minute. He was filling in for someone that had to cancel for a family emergency. He got his gear together and then went to open the safe and it would not open. Batteries dead. Couldn't even get into it to replace the batteries so he ended up borrowing a gun from a relative for the trip. That happened about 12 years ago. Don't know if the designs have improved or changed, but I would like a simple old fashioned mechanical combination.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Any place that delivers INTO the house.
I run a dehumidifier in the room and place the large "Inhibitor" rust prevention plug inside it and never a problem with rust. They recommend the plug be changed every 2 years.

Like Davy Crockett said,
Maybe we ALL should have suggested this. It's a necesary idea with a very heavy safe.

As for the electric locks, I have one, and I was skeptical as well. If the battery on my Liberty goes dead,and I didn't use it for over 30 days, there is a default code that will open it once the battery is replaced, which can be done outside the safe. If it dies today, I change the battery, and open as I did yesterday. They have worked out most of the bugs.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts