The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see them at Tractor Supply. Any other suggestions? Brands? Prices?

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
We bought a Stack On for ours . Got it at the old Gander Mountain. Sorry , but don`t remember the price. Don`t know of any place near you to recommend other then a local gun shop . They might be able to direct you to a place.

·
Super Moderator
12,660 Posts
Ordered a Browning on line a few years back......Shopped for best price...Good selection/secure/attractive also a big selection of choices.....

·
Registered
418 Posts
We bought a Stack On for ours . Got it at the old Gander Mountain. Sorry , but don`t remember the price. Don`t know of any place near you to recommend other then a local gun shop . They might be able to direct you to a place.
how do you like that stack on? How’s the thickness on the steel? I’m looking at them now on eBay for ~$165 shipped for the 10 gun

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
Agree with westernwishes 1, on getting one big enough. Not sure on thickness , but can tell you it was heavy enough getting it in the house.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I plucked a Cannon off the clearance rack at TSC, and I've been happy with it for what it is

Safes are definitely a "get what you pay for" item. Most common safes will keep out your friendly neighborhood crackhead, but anyone with knowledge and dedication can breach one in minutes. That said, i'd get the thickest metal you can afford, and go a size bigger than you think you need.

Reactions: bohunr

·
Banned
1,464 Posts
buy the biggest you can fit in your place a 10gun will hold like 6 with scope on them.
Buying a gun safe is like buying a boat. You will regret not getting a bigger one. Take the number of guns the manufacturer says it will holid and divide by 2. Scopes take up a lot of space and AR’s with optics eat the space of 3 guns. Then add some more room for handguns and gold bricks.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Look at Steelwater safes, way better fire rating, delivered by free freight right to your garage and free silica dehumidifier. The driver I had had me inspect my safe on the truck, unloaded it and wheeled it right into my garage.It's a step above!

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
When the BLM protest was decided to be held directly across the street from my home, and I was still watching the "peaceful" rioting and looting going on in Philladelphia, we decided a security cabinet like the three Stach On we have bolted together and to the basement wall probably would prove inadequate.

We researched it out, and Liberty was our choice. We bought a Fat Boy Jr, with the upgrades. Likely the strongest most secure safe available, and if it is damaged during an attempt to open it, they repair free of charge. Five big guys moved it into the house, all 770# of it, and it's now securely attached to the floor.

When it came down to the wire the cost seemed reasonable when the alternative could have been MY guns in RIOTERS hands. That is peace of mind.

·
Registered
423 Posts
What about dehumidifing? Is it better to do it inside the safe or at the basement level? If done in the safe, what is the best method?

·
Registered
7,584 Posts
Many gun shops have good safes....just get a good quality one...they are an home for your investments

...just get double of what you have....you have 12 guns..get a 24 or bigger gun safe. When they say 12..they mean 12 shotguns or un-scoped lever actions....cause my 24 gun safe doesn't fit squat...

·
Registered
76 Posts
What about dehumidifing? Is it better to do it inside the safe or at the basement level? If done in the safe, what is the best method?
I use a golden rod. Its electric and plugs into the wall. It sits on the floor in the back. Most safes have a small hole in the bottom corner to accommodate a cord going through. I also have a large jar of silica gel crystals just like those little packets in shoe boxes.

·
Registered
10,683 Posts
My son was looking for a safe a few years ago. He got prices from places like Cabala's. He then checked a few stores that only sold safes. The safe stores had better prices for the same safes that were being sold by sporting goods stores and the safe stores delivered.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts