The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get some kind of pistol-single shot or revolver-for bear and deer. wondering what is a good all around caliber and maybe which gun.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Smith & Wesson 41mag. Works well for both and doesn't break the bank for ammo!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
For me personally, it's a Taurus Raging Bull in .454 Casull with a Bushnell Holosight.

But realistically, Any quality .44 magnum with good bullets will get the job done. And don't overlook the T/C Contender or Encore which are chambered in some very potent calibers.

BTW Welcome to the boards, alot of very knowledgeable people here!

·
Registered
769 Posts
the bigger the better. 44 mag is a minimum for deer. if you can deal with a single shot o with an encore in any rifle caliber you would use from a rifle.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
fjp110 said:
the bigger the better. 44 mag is a minimum for deer.
very true, my brother was given a 44 Mag (rifle) from our grandfather and he shot a really big 6 pointer 3 times with it and he thought he missed every time cuz the buck just stood there. after the 3rd shot it trotted off for 70 yards and died. all 3 shots were in the chest from 60 yards. these were hand loaded "hot loads"

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
a 44 Mag shootin a 240-grain Speer Gold Dot at 1,200 fps from a 7 1/2" or 8 3/8" barrel will blow deer over as long as you know your range. The key is knowing your gun and its capabilities. Personally 75 yards is my limit and only with a good solid rest.

I wouldn't hestitate one second in using a good 41 Mag for deer or bear.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I would feel confident with a 357 mag. Anything bigger than that would work good too. The "best" is a relative term. I used to have a super black hawk in 44 mag. Wish I never sold it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Any handgun experience? If not I wouldn't start with anything more powerful than the 44 mag...or the 45 colt in a new Ruger will do everything the 44 will with a larger bullet and less recoil. Either round will do what your asking for.

That said I love my Ruger SRH in .454 Casull.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Always heard that when taking on a big bear with a revolver, "Save the last round for yourself!". That said...44 Mag or 45 Colt both stoked in a Ruger Single Action of course.

Muab Dib

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
.480 Ruger of course. Its a great shooter. When I was purchasing mine a guy asked me what I was going to shoot with it. The guy behind the counter said any darn thing he wants too. I have yet to kill anything with it but it will happen soon.

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
460 xvr i would say is the best....shoots 45 longs, 454 cassuls and 460s.....pretty dang sweet stuff! i can tell you from experience.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Dude, for a first time handgunner, the 460 is probably too much to deal with. It will certainly do the job, but if you want to kill a Pa. Black bear, go with a 44 magnum and if you don't handload, then go with Cor-Bon 320gr. bullets. Cor-Bon also makes a 305gr. 44 mag bullet that will do the job on bear.

For whitetail, anything 200gr. or better will get the job done. I handload and I've killed 'em with my "standard" whitetail load of a Hornady 200gr. XTP over 24.4gr. of Vihtavouri N-110 powder. Some guys use a 240gr. bullet for whitetail (which is fine) but I've not had one that hasn't dropped in it's tracks with the 200 grain.

Bullet placement is (like anything else) key. If you hit 'em in the arse with a bazooka, they aren't gonna die real quick. (Angle of entry too be considered!!)

Dave

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
grandfather had tons of success with his super blackhawk over the years....i am a huge fan of the .44

with the 460....just like 38's out of a 357....if your shooting 45 longs it is not bad at all....its like a hand rifle.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts