The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here taken a young hunter on an out of state hunt? My son is 9 and we just got the ok from mom to go on a hunt. It will be in 2 years so he will be 11. Anyone have any experience with this? Ideas on outfitters, states, etc.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Try a close state first like VA or WV...Both have websites you can go over their nonresident youth programs...Both have huge National Forests just south of Pennsylvania..

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
I am in the same boat as you pabuckkiller. My son is 9 and we are looking at going maybe next year on a trip. One issue is I don't want him to miss school to do it which is a problem since alot of hunting seasons occur during school. I am kicking around the idea of doing a deer and/or hog hunt over Christmas vacation down south where it is warm. The other option is a hog hunt down south in the summer, but it is pretty hot then.

·
Registered
8,833 Posts
I’m assuming you want to hunt Whitetails and that you’re looking for an outfitted hunt.

If so, IMO you can’t beat a southern for a youngster. There is either no minimum age or it is very young. The seasons are long so it’s possible to fit a hunt into the school schedule. The fall weather is mild, and even if you go late the weather is relatively comfortable. The pace is relaxed. The stands are large and many can accommodate 2 people, all stands have a 360 degree shooting rest for a steady shot and even the open stands (as opposed to shooting houses) have a skirt surround to help hide the movements of squiggly young kids. If you go for a week you will see and have shooting at deer. The limits are generous so you can hunt all week even if you’re on a lucky streak. On most hunts you have a chance for a “poor man’s grizzly” (wild hog). And the hunts aren’t extremely expensive.

There are many outfits in all of the southern states, and some very good ones. Everybody here knows who my favorite is so I won’t repeat it here. If you are interested, I did an extensive post for another member in the Outfitters forum just a week ago. It’s currently on page two I believe .I’d also be happy to pm you as well. I’ve also heard good things about Lily Pond in North Carolina, and I just read posts on here in the last day or so with good things to say about Cypress Creek in South Carolina and White Oak Plantation in Alabama.

If instead you’re looking to DIY, burk and hunter-2 made good suggestions above.

Lo

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Whatever you choose, be sure to do your homework, some states require a valid HTE card for non-residents.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
If you want to see a lot of game & come home with a trophy, I'd go to Texas, but it's not cheap. For just plain fun & meat in the freezer, I'd go to Florida or Georgia for a hog hunt.

·
Registered
337 Posts
In Maine, kids can hunt at 10 years old. A lot of baited bear hunts are 90% success rate. Probably $1500-2000. I have also been looking at Canada. Technically, the kid wouldn't be old enough for his own license, but you could buy the license and have one bear tag and one rifle between the two of you. Same deal on success but their hunts are in the spring and the season goes until late June so he wouldn't miss out on school. A lot of places have outstanding fishing as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would look in to Ohio for whitetails. You can take your kid for the weekend and they can hunt the 2 day youth season. Its during the rut and I think the youth license is only around $20 bucks or so, even for a out of state kid. Plus, they wont miss school since the youth season is always on a Sat and Sun.

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
BarnesX.308 said:
In Maine, kids can hunt at 10 years old. A lot of baited bear hunts are 90% success rate. Probably $1500-2000. I have also been looking at Canada. Technically, the kid wouldn't be old enough for his own license, but you could buy the license and have one bear tag and one rifle between the two of you. Same deal on success but their hunts are in the spring and the season goes until late June so he wouldn't miss out on school. A lot of places have outstanding fishing as well.
I like the idea of the Canada thing. I will have to check it out.

·
Registered
490 Posts
What is your budget? For not much more, and often times less than many guided hunts in the US you could do a short antelope hunt in South Africa. If you shoot cull animals you will have no taxidermy, rent or borrow a gun over there to avoid the hassle of travel with a firearm. Lots of game to look at, potentially lots of trigger time, always nice accommodations.
And you can go in the summer when the kid is out of school

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Kebco said:
What is your budget? For not much more, and often times less than many guided hunts in the US you could do a short antelope hunt in South Africa. If you shoot cull animals you will have no taxidermy, rent or borrow a gun over there to avoid the hassle of travel with a firearm. Lots of game to look at, potentially lots of trigger time, always nice accommodations.
The airfare alone for Africa is over $2000

·
Registered
239 Posts
Go west, Antelope is a fun, high success, reasonable hunt. Most of your hunt is spot and stalk. If you tag out early yotes,rabbits and sight seeing.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Kebco said:
You can get airfare for around $1300.00 now. Also alot of the outfitters won't even charge your child room and board. I plan on taking my grandson as soon as he's old enough.

·
Banned
10,004 Posts
One of the misconceptions about hunting in Africa is that it is very expensive. While it does cost more than a southern deer hunt, it can actually cost less than a quality western hunting trip for elk or a Canadian hunting trip for moose. For example, airfare to Smithers, British Columbia would be a minimum of $1216 for a flight taken in September (as found on Kayak). The fee for a ten day moose hunt with one outfitter located close to there (Tukii Lodge) is $6500. You could easily get $10,000 into a guided moose hunt. A few years ago, I took my wife on an elk hunt as an observer. The total with airfare came to just over $7,000. You can drive to a southern deer hunt and hunt for six days for less than $3000. The differences are that with the southern deer hunt you probably will get one or more deer (probably several on a six day hunt), and you probably would get your quarry on either the moose hunt or the elk hunt.
You could probably do a decent mule deer hunt in Montana or Wyoming for around $5000 per person with everything included (airfare, car rental, licenses, etc).

An example of an African plains game (antelopes etc.) hunt for several species would cost between $2500 and 5,000, depending upon what species you might wish to take. Usually the daily rate is about $400/day for one hunter and one observer. Trophy fees for five selected animals such as blesbuck, hartebeest, springbok, warthog, and gemsbok for example would total about $3,000. So for $5500 or less you could have a week of hunting in say Namibia or South Africa with everything being provided from the time your plane touches down there to the time it leaves. Let's say airfare would be $3500 for two people total. We are now up to $8,000, which is certainly in the ballpark with a decent guided western or Canadian hunting trip, but way over the cost of a southern whitetail hunt. You will see more game in a day's hunting in southern Africa than you would see in a month of hunting out west, with the possible exception of that mule deer hunt above, and certainly many more animals of many different species than you would see in weeks of hunting in Alabama for example. It is possible to do Africa on the "cheap." My wife and I went to Namibia a few years ago. I took six animals, and the whole trip cost us less than $6,000.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts