The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Pat Willis.

Most people are clueless to who he is because he plays for San Francisco but he is a former Butkus Award winner and an absolute beast.

Paul Posluszny is another one who will be great. He's only the second player in history to win the Bednarik Award two years in a row (Pat Fitzgerald was the other one). He plays for the Bills and unfortunately suffered a broken forearm two years in a row.

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
Lewis used to be good, and he isn't a middle linebacker, IIRC. Baltimore plays a 3-4, so he is considered a mike inside linebacker.

·
Registered
19,642 Posts
Brian Urlacher
Stewart Bradley has the potential to be one. He has played all linebacker positions and Defensive end in Collage.
He just needs to stay healthy.

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
Birch812 said:
Brian Urlacher
Stewart Bradley has the potential to be one. He has played all linebacker positions and Defensive end in Collage.
He just needs to stay healthy.
This Brian Urlacher?

·
Registered
19,642 Posts
I think Brian Urlacher got a little bit better since 2005

By the way, that picture of Jerome Bettis running him over still didnt stop Urlacher from winning defensive player of the year that year.

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
No, but that run got Bettis a ring. Realistically, middle linebacker is a product of a good defensive line. In the Steelers case, take Casey Hampton or Aaron Smith away, the linebackers struggle a little.

I do like Urlacher though. Dude just looks like a Chicago Bear. It's precisely how good he is that makes me love that photo even more. It was Jerome dropping down and taking on the All World linebacker at the goal line, in the mud and snow, and carrying the ball into the end zone and the team to immortality. The photo is exactly what real Steeler football is, and what Jerome Bettis was all about, lining up mano y mano and pounding the ball in because you want it more. Not lining up with 5 WR like SW Mississippi Valley State Tech A&I. If it was Ray Lewis, it would have been nice, but Bettis and Kreider trucked Lewis all day twice a year. It wasn't every day that he plowed over Urlacher.

·
Registered
19,642 Posts
Jack Ham was an outside LB but he would definitely get my vote,so would Jack Lambert, but the post said middle playing today.

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
Though Lambert was a bit more intimidating.

Note to Dallas--do not make fun of Lambert by tapping him on the helmet after the Steelers have a misfortune. Run your mouth, this is the result. It's unreal how good that defense was. Mel Blount could throw on the pads, walk onto Heinz Field in game 3 and still start for the Steelers. Though that may say something about Willie Gay too. I don't think Mel would shoot for the NFL record for most time falling flat on your face in a single game.

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
From what I gather, the guy down in Houston is excellent, but he plays there, so even Texans probably don't know his name.

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
We already took the thread off track once. Butkus was amazing, but he's not playing today.

·
Registered
8,715 Posts
Give it a year or two and my vote will probably go to James Laurinitis.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts