The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting a .204 for groundhog fox and coyote hunting and am wondering from people that own .204s which do you prefer expense is not a worry to me.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I have a hr single shot in 204, its great but im going to get a Mossberg MVP its awsome laminated stock, bull barrel, 10rn mag. I should get one by april, Mvp stands for mossberg varmit predator... I also like the thompsob center venture, but I like bull barrels because I reload and I like to shoot. my hr has a very heavy barrel and thats a hot round, if you plan on target shooting a light wieght hunting rifle is not a great choice.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I've got a browning A-bolt II varmint, and love it. It shoots factory 32gr vmax bullets under 1/2 an inch at 100 yards. They're kind of hard to find though.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Great groundhog and coyote gun but moves a bit fast for fox. Has a tendency to tear them up pretty good. Def go with the T/C Venture.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
i have a cz 204 that shoots very nice!! im actually looking to sell it because i dont have much use for it anymore. Pm me if interested in it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Looks like you have a lot of choices and opinions witch is great. Here is mine I have Ruger and shoot 40 gr.reloads It shoot very good.Good luck.
Dog Duster

·
Registered
170 Posts
Any one of these rifles are good, what you need to do is go and look over the diff. ones, shoulder them, see what one fits and feels good and go from there.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have shot 2 fox this year with my 30.06 with 150 grain psp that shreds them. Haha. one was a head shot at around 50yds between the glows and pretty much blew off the bottom half of its head. The other was shot on 1st day of deer season out of my treestand with my 760 30.06 pump and shooting downward I took it between the front shoulders and it gutted and opened up the whole underneath of its body.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm kind of shocked no one mentioned the tikka t3 super varmint. Another thing is some people say just get a .223 instead of a .204 any suggestions?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was just on brownings site and the only varmint gun i can find there is the x-bolt varmint stalker and they don't offer it in a 204. I looked at the a-bolts and found gun you have but has a note under the picture that they are no longer in production last time they were in the catalog was 2007.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Haney said:
The other was shot on 1st day of deer season out of my treestand with my 760 30.06 pump and shooting downward I took it between the front shoulders and it gutted and opened up the whole underneath of its body.
Waste of a fox and not to mention illegal during deer season.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts