The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might be looking to buy a log splitter. What size/strength is desirable? Any certain brands to look for or to avoid. I will not be using it daily but will need to split some large logs. Any thoughts on gasoline vs. electric? Any info is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
i use the Speeco 22 tons, they run $1000, and you can buy them at Tractor supply, Lowes, Walmart, and a dozen other places, they just put the stores name on the Speeco splitter. Its all you need for a homeowner type, and will split anythig you can put under it. You will see larger splitters for 3,4 or 5 thousand dollars, they are for commercial firewood operations. I bought two speecos 10 years ago, and one finally quit this summer, but can easily be fixed with a new motor.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
My dad had an old amerikand mackissic, maybe 16 ton, with an old Briggs and Stratton, he put amsoil in it(synthetic) from 79 till I sold it this spring. He split 10-15 cords a year. Nothing but a love joy joint rubbers and regular maintenance. I have a newer 35 ton huskee, 3 yrs old probably too much for what you need. 2k bucks. Getting older, use it for the big or harder to split stuff, oak , ash, maple, cherry I can split all day by had yet. I don't see why a 22 ton like joe said wouldn't be plenty.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Super splits are nice. I believe Dr Power Equipment makes a similar one. The cycle time is about 3 second which is nice if ya don't mess around. Me and my buddy can put out a full cord of wood in about and hour. They don't have a hydraulic ram they use a flywheel with teeth and the ram has teeth so whem you throw the lever it splits it

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How much would you spend on a splitter to use on the weekends primarily?

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Cisco, spent many days near the Speedco brand. They never really missed a beat. The log grate will save your back.
With that said I recently have moved up to a Timberwolf TW-5 with conveyor. A few less touches for each piece. Some of the helpers are now too old to split etc so I had to upgrade. Now they just come and tell me I am splitting too fast. Have almost 60 cord under roof since April.
Just a thought... But rent a splitter for the weekend. You may not need to own one.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
17 year old son , if we can get him away from his girl long enough. we could use a power splitter as well

1 - 8 of 8 Posts