The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just got the bird flu with getting my first grouse today. I have a 12 ga 870 and have a modified choke. I just grabbed some of my target shells and went out today.

Wondering what you guys suggest for shells, shot size, and chokes. I am not a great shot but do decent. Shot an 18/25 on my first round ever. I am happy with the modified choke but would like to know your opinions.

·
Super Moderator
2,453 Posts
If you are considering a change, I would suggest shooting 7 1/2 shot through either a skeet 1 choke, or if you can't find one of them then improved cylinder.

·
Registered
455 Posts
dap said:
If you are considering a change, I would suggest shooting 7 1/2 shot through either a skeet 1 choke, or if you can't find one then improved cylinder.
I'm with dap. Sometimes I'll drop down to #8s, especially if woodcock might be on the menu too.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
7 1/2 shot and Imp. Cyl. choke.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys I will be looking for these, seems to be the going specs. I may have to wait on the improved cylinder though. Is the modified choke tighter than improved?

Is the object to have a lot of smaller bb's in a wider pattern? I am not really a wing shooter by any means, but I may just get into skeet shooting this upcoming year.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
BowMike,
You might want to try some SpredR loads, 8"s or 71/2's with your modified choke, they will spred your pattern out wider for hunting Grouse and Woodcock. You can order them from Lion Country, they will deliver them right to your door.
Pine Creek/Dave

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pine-Creek any idea on the cost of shipping. That sight has pretty good prices on other supplies as well. thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pine-Creek, tried to send you a pm but your box if full.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
mike the modified choke is tighter than the improved cylinder choke. The skeet or cylinder chokes are the most open.

Choke sizes usually go something around this.

Skeet, cylinder, improved cylinder, modified, improved modified, full, extra full. There are others in there but that is your basic set of chokes less the improved modified. Those are listed from the most open to the tightest choke.

·
Super Moderator
2,453 Posts
nomad_archer said:
mike the modified choke is tighter than the improved cylinder choke. The skeet or cylinder chokes are the most open.

Choke sizes usually go something around this.

Skeet, cylinder, improved cylinder, modified, improved modified, full, extra full. There are others in there but that is your basic set of chokes less the improved modified. Those are listed from the most open to the tightest choke.
One minor correction, the first two should read cylinder, then skeet. (Cylinder implies no choke constriction at all. Skeet is typically .004 constriction).

·
Super Moderator
2,453 Posts
bowmike said:
Thanks guys I will be looking for these, seems to be the going specs. I may have to wait on the improved cylinder though. Is the modified choke tighter than improved?

Is the object to have a lot of smaller bb's in a wider pattern? I am not really a wing shooter by any means, but I may just get into skeet shooting this upcoming year.
The choke tubes can be ordered from many places, I see that cabelas has Rem-choke tubes made by Carlson in SKEET constriction for $19.99. Or as Pine-Creek suggested you can by spreader loads. Shooting them through a modified choke should give you something similar to an improved cylinder pattern. Cost of spreader loads is probably about $4 a box more than off the shelf shells, so break even point would probably be about 5 boxes of shells. If you're only planning on shooting at birds, probably cheaper to buy the spreader loads. If you plan to shoot skeet or sporting clays, buying a separate choke tube would be money well spent.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Yes open to close is
cylinder
improved cylinder
modiied
improved modified
full
extra full

for the life of me I cant remember if skeet is before or after improve cylinder

·
Registered
300 Posts
I just realized everyone has already answered the question and i feel like a burrow

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Had a buddy, tell me that he did not like the improved cylinder choke out of his 870, Said that he could not hit dove with it at all. He said when he went back to modified he got a limit. He also shoots on the skeet team at the local pistol club. He told me that he did not like the improved for skeet either.

Any thoughts on this? He told me he would sell me the improved cylinder choke, and let me test it out if I wanted too, but said he would not suggest it.

Can you tell me what is the main reasons, you suggest the Improved over the modified.

·
Super Moderator
2,453 Posts
bowmike said:
Had a buddy, tell me that he did not like the improved cylinder choke out of his 870, Said that he could not hit dove with it at all. He said when he went back to modified he got a limit. He also shoots on the skeet team at the local pistol club. He told me that he did not like the improved for skeet either.

Any thoughts on this? He told me he would sell me the improved cylinder choke, and let me test it out if I wanted too, but said he would not suggest it.

Can you tell me what is the main reasons, you suggest the Improved over the modified.
The improved cylinder (IC) choke should throw a wider pattern. Traditionally shooting through a modified choke would put 45-55% of the pellets in a 30 inch cirlce at 40 yards. Improved Cylinder 35-45% and Skeet 30-35%.

What this might mean when shooting at a grouse at say 25 yards is that you might have to shoot within 12" of the bird with a modified choke, but with a skeet choke, you would hit it if you aimed within 20" of it. (These are just numbers used as an example and are not meant to be 100% accurate).

Anyway, if your buddy will let you borrow the IC choke, take it. Set up a patterning board at the distance you think you will be shooting grouse (say 25 yards). The back side of cheap wrapping paper works well. Draw a 2" dot on it and shoot a shell through the IC choke. Repeat with different paper using the MOD choke. Or better yet, several shots with both chokes. Draw a 30" circle around the main part of the pattern. See which choke gives you the widest pattern with out having holes in it (basically spots on the paper without any pellet holes that are bigger than a grouse.

You should find out if the problem is actually with your buddy's IC choke (it could be mis-marked), of if the problem is just in his head.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts