The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a hunting load that would work for white tails and wild boars. I'm thinking at least 150gr. maybe 165gr. Let me know what you think and what you've had luck with. thx

·
Registered
805 Posts
I would say more guys use the 150 grain in 3006 & 308 than any other bullet. But then it also depends on what your rifle likes, and the range you will be hunting. 200 yards or less I would use plain base bullets. 200 + I would go with a boat tail. Also are you talkin Factory or reloads.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
I'm looking for a hunting load that would work for white tails and wild boars. I'm thinking at least 150gr. maybe 165gr. Let me know what you think and what you've had luck with. thx
A 165gr cup and core bullet will do everything you need on any size of the two critters you are looking to hunt.

·
Registered
261 Posts
For deer and hogs I don't think you could go wrong with any factory ammo as long as the bullet being used is meant for that size game. One thing is with some of the fast loads like hornady superformance 150 grain the bullet is actually approaching the territory where it could come apart at real close range but any normal load won't have that problem as the 308 is right in the sweet spot for regular old soft point bullets.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I've been using Winchester 150gr soft points for 25 years. I usually hear two things, a boom and a thud. I can count on one hand the number of deer that have gone anywhere beyond drop in their tracks, 3. And none of them made it more than 25 yards. Some shots have been marginal, but with the same results.

Honestly, if they ever stop making this load I will be up the creek without a paddle.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
The most DRT's I have ever seen with ANY gun have been with .308's shooting the old fashioned 180 grain Winchester Silvertips with the aluminum nose.

·
Registered
20,883 Posts
I've lost track of how many deer I've seen die in front of a .308.The most consistant load of all time has been a 165gr accubond in front of 45gr of varget.

·
Registered
20,883 Posts
I've also been loading 130gr Barnes ttsx for my kids in front of 48.5gr of varrget with very impressive results and mild recoil.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I use Sierra 165 gr. Gamekings. There extremely accurate and never fail to do their job under reasonable conditions. Loaded with Imr 4064 powder.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts