The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think is the best hammerless 2" .38 caliber and why?

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Have only fired one, a S & W Bodyguard .38. It is very lght and kicks some but hey you can always practice with reduced loads and fill it up with +P for self-defense.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I usually vote with my wallet.
I first bought a Taurus 85.
A little while later, purchased a S&W 642 Airweight. That little Smith is a noraml companion of mine nowadays.

Nothing really wrong with the Taurus. The S&W is more accurate, finished nicer, and the action is way smoother. I still own the Taurus, I find uses for both, I just feel the Smith is nicer, and hence better in my mind.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I had a Taurus 85 that had a hammer. It was a good gun, but I like the j frame S&W revolvers better. I had a 442 & upgraded to a M&P340. 38+p or 357 mag rounds are manageable, but your palm will feel it the next day.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Ruger LCR hands down..........

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
I carry a S&W mod 638 Body Guard. Not "hammerless" so to speak but the hammer is shrouded and it can still be fired single action. Its always either in my pocket or on my ankle.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
The Smith & Wesson J-frames are the best.
I like the 442 personally. When they came oout about 15-20 years ago I got one (alloy frame) carried ever since. Two family members, both experienced shooter, liked mine and now it is their primary carry guns.

P+ is really no problem, just don't have any need in a 38 ad defense shots will be at 10 feet or less, and the standard 38 wad cutter is devestating at that range.

Any 2 inch snub nose is terrible to shoot (but excellent as a CCW). It takes a lot of effort to learn how to shoot them with any accuracy...especially the light weight DAO (double action Only) hammerless models.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
S&W 442 is looking like a good choice.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Cisco. Since I've had mine for a long time; I've tried some things. The gun is totaally 'snag' proof, so you can carry it in a coat pocket without a holster. Thought I'd test and firing thing. I had a coat that was worn and ready to pitch out, put the 442 in a pocket at the range and shot through the coat pocket. this feature saves the question "when do I pull out and show a CCW?"
The gun shot thru the coat simple perfect. The pocket of the old coat had some lint and stuff in the lining, and it did smoke a bit, slapping the smoldering hole stopped it instantly.

Just another option with a hammerless gun.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Harry, thanks for the response. That is exactly the kind of practical feedback I was looking for.

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
Re: Best hammerless 2" .38?

I like my Ruger LCR, not saying its the best - but it suites me well.

Its light - which makes it nice to carry when my Glocks are to large.

Its got a front night sight (XS dot) which makes it more accurate for me then other snubbies.

The trigger pull is great compared to other snubbies.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Re: Best hammerless 2" .38?

I'd go with an older 'smith on the J frame. No mim parts or safety for me thank you. Have a 36 with a bobbed hammer and it does what it's supposed to do. Nuth'n wrong with the others mentioned, ( I'm a Ruger man for the most part) I just like blued steel and walnut. The 'smith 36 has stood the test of time.

Muab Dib

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I have a Smith Airlight 38, and its OK, but not really a carry gun. Bought a Ruger LCP in .380. Not as much power, but I can carry it in my shirt pocket and not know its there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Any of the hammerless S&W Centennial line that fits your budget the best. But note, the Titanium Airweight firing full up .357 magnum loads can catch your undivided attention. After surgery on my thumb (not related to shooting the piece) I had to give up the 357's. I'll always take the S&Ws as they wrote the book on hammerless design.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts