The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shot sporting clays as a guest several times and used the guns provided. Thinking of giving it a try and would appreciate any suggestions on the proper type of shotgun to use for this sport. I remenber seeing quite a few over/unders - would that because they offer two chokes? I have a camoed pump that I use for turkey but would like to buy something that looks respectable on the range. Appreciate any help and comments -

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
2 chokes are nice, also not picking up shells with a O/U, but usually a more expensive gun than a semi. Semi beats you up less firing many rounds. What's your budget? Clays gun only or also used for hunting? Look at a used browning or beretta O/U with a 28-32 inch barrel, this way you can sell it later if you decide you need/want something different.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
O/U is probably the best choice, unless you plan on ever shooting 3 bird shoots. I have several, all Beretta's
They fit me the best, right from factory.
The 686 white onix is their entry level O/U
The 390 or 391 for the semi.
Find a shop that carries a large selection of Beretta, Browning, etc and see how they fit.
Go from there, most of the time when you pick it up, you will know its the one for you

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
All good advice, as every shooter has their own preference as to shotgun brands and action. I don't like semi's because they are too busy for me. I shot them for years for sporting until I got my first O/U, then I didn't shoot a semi for sporting since. Now I love the SxS and don't shoot the O/U hardly ever anymore. I would advise not using a pump gun. If that's all you can afford then by all means, use it. The pump is made for hunting and is too light for sporting. It will eventually beat you up by the amount of rounds that are shot. If you do use a pump, shoot 2 3/4 dram or less and use 1 oz or less of shot. Preferably 7/8 or 3/4, then the gun will be manageable for longer sessions. Avoid field loads and heavy dove/quail loads. They are cheaper than target shells, but will punish you through that pump. As for choke tubes, they're overrated. If you learn to shoot correctly choke choice won't matter. I shoot LM/LM in my Zoli. My SxS's are all fixed chokes and usually average LM through F configurations. Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
331 Posts
I had the same dilemma.

I used a Rem 870 and shot for a month or two.
Wanted to buy a shotgun just for the clays.
Got to know some of the guys in the club, they let me try out their guns.
Settled on a beretta AL390 Gold Sporting over 10yrs ago and am real happy with it.

I don't shoot as much as I used to maybe 2x a month, but my 11yr old is breaking in the 20's with his 20ga 870 which gets me wanting to go more often.

·
Registered
689 Posts
You have gotten some good advice. No pumps because they slow down the second shot. No semi auto's if your too out of shape to pick up shells. Then again if you need exercise, get a semi.
Over under or side by side??? Can't you just twist the gun and have both?
The 11 y/o that is shooting 20's with a 870 will teach you that youth have GREAT eyes and SPEED. Do not bet against them!
To many individual decisions to make ? That is why most shooters have more than one gun. Just make sure whatever you buy is the Best. No Stoegers,New Charles Daley's, Russian Remington's, etc.. Good guns Browning, Beretta, Winchesters, etc. etc.. With interchangeable chokes will hold up and hold their value if you want to trade or sell to get the next one.
When shooting for fun and hunting skill you can use everything. I use old Side by sides with tight and tighter chokes to shoot skeet with and love it... HAVE FUN !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts