The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family is pretty well split up on what is good woodchuck rifles. 22-250, 223, 243, 257. what would you buy today?

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
for the places I hunt(where I can;t shoot farther than 400 yards) my .204 Ruger. Anything farther than that, my 25-06 would handle nicely.

·
Registered
12,160 Posts
Personally, I don't use cartridges on em. I shoot them with a cap and ball revolver. Had a neighbor years back that would scan the far off hill sides waiting for a distant shot with his 220 Swift and giant scope. He and his buddies would compete for the longest shots.

·
Registered
889 Posts
For shooting:
Under 200 yards-----22 Hornet
Under 350 yards-----223
Under 800 yards-----22-250
Above 800 yards-----one of the 6 mm's

No need for all the recoil of a 6mm or 25 caliber rifle for any varmint shooting under 800 yards. And especially no need for all the noise, higher cost ammo, more wasted powder, and more expensive bullets. For that shooting the 22-250 is King. However most hunters never shoot over 200 yards, which really makes the 22 Hornet King. The reason for the Hornet being the King in this realm is because of noise level, especially around live stock. And a farmer taking a nap in his chair. And how inexpensive it is too shoot and reload. It is a shame they didn't make the 17 HMR just a bit more powerful(if they could). The 17 Ackley Hornet is a real winner-but not nominal because it is not readily available.

Every year long distance ground hog hunting is getting more and more limited with urban sprawl. The Hornet for most hunters is almost impossibe to beat. You can shoot a 400 yard field with a 200 yard ground hog rifle. How many guys actually shoot fields over 400 yards?? Not very many.

I also really like the 223. However if you are not shooting fields larger than 400 yards total length then the Hornet is a better choice than the 223, just because of the noise factor. Ask a died in the wool varminter. You will see a Hornet or Bee or some low noise rifle in their battery. They know the value of a lower noise round. For three advantages. Less noise to spook the varmints, the livestock, and most importantly the farmer!! Tom.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
My brother has a 22-250, in the same exact rifle as my 204. Anything hit inside 300 yards, and you couldn't tell the difference just by looking at the hog(they're both gonna be messy). After 400 yards the 22-250 packs more punch simply becasue of the heavier bullets availible. I never said I needed a 25-06, Tom. I just like blasting stuff with mine. I reload, so cost isn't a huge factor for me. Plus, with the 25, I get less wind drift than with my .204. Each has it's spot. If I need to go quiet, I'll take a .22 mag. It'll kill em just as dead to 200 yds. I'm still stickin' with my 204. I can get 45 gr pills and a scope with more adjustment than I currently have if I would ever need to.

·
Registered
222 Posts
< 125 yards-----17 HMR - 20 Grain
125 - 400 yards-----204 Ruger
400 yards Plus-----Get closer or leave them for seed.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
You guys better go back to the books! 220 swift is the only chuck cartridge you'll ever need.... But who could ever have 1 gun. For you 25.06 chuck hunters and 600yd guys that's the ticket. Only thing you need some real good glass. If I happen to have my 222 along I let it take the close ones but that thing with 50gr. bts. is amazin...later

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I seem to think with the wind the 22 cal centerfires are strictly about 200 yards. then you need a 243/6 mm. beyond 400 yards anything works tht shoots with wind into 1 MOA.

Got one with my 416 mag at about 225 yds. but not your ideal woodchuck gun.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
b&ghuntre said:
You guys better go back to the books! 220 swift is the only chuck cartridge you'll ever need....
Not when the wind is blowing though...I learned that lesson from the 22-250 Rem....I've since changed to a 6mm Rem.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Ken, I've shot chucks up to 400yds. with my swift. 401 last year. If you shoot down a long draw field or across a hollow to another field you get wind currents even on calm days. I shot a mod. 70 .243 awhile just cause I could shoot without so much windage to worry about. That's what got me shootin the 25.06 long range chuck huntin. Got bored with the whole long range deal cause it's always farther, longer, so i dumped it all and just used sporter .222, then had a re-awakein and wanted to shoot long again. Got a nice set-up with the 220swift and back to fun. With a 1=14 twist 55 gr. is just about at my limit and thinkin maybe a cartridge for longer long range is in the picture next year? This no chucks while turkey all day will be changed next year. My last 500 shot was misses,3 fields away, so far that Mr. Chuck gave me 4-5 shots before he left town. Later after we left I checked shots about a n 18" group in the field but not bad at alinement but fell about 3' short. Could I have done better with heavier bullet? My bud was spottin and made me hold aganist the wind didn't help it's all guessin then and opened up my group. Range finder always along we keep records. My one bud has a 40x .308 but hardly ever has time to use it. I'ed like watchin him and seein what that thing dose. After the 500 mark yes you need a long skinny bullet as with the 25.06 .260 etc. ...later

1 - 20 of 64 Posts