The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to trapping, I would like to know what size trap and coils (offset or not) is the best to use for trapping fox. Also if the trap would hold a coyote.

·
Premium Member
24,224 Posts
I'm using Duke OS #2 Coil Springs for Fox and Coyote, no problems so far.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am using Bridger #2 Offsets w/ 4 Coil. Caught my first fox today with a high left foot catch. It had EXTENSIVE foot damage. I was setting for coyote but got the fox. I don't know what I could have done different.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
I used some Bridger #2OS 2-coils this year. They did not do any damage to the foxes. But I wasn't really happy with how high they got up on the leg. I was using them and MB-550's due to the abundance of coyotes.

My favorite dedicated fox trap is the Bridger 1.65

·
Registered
738 Posts
i'm useing duke 11/2 13/4 4coiled MB550 and sleepycreek 13/4 4coiled briger 1.65 and #3's and as of now the Duke 13/4 4coiled get's my vote as a all around fur catcher i got everything from coon to coyote's and Bobcat's with very minor Damage Note if you are going to use ANY DUKE Coil spring Trap make sure you clean up the end of the Dog with a file

·
Registered
400 Posts
Lighten tension, and raise pan might help with lowering height of trap contact. I run #2's with super light tension, and pan slightly higher than level. Mostly get great foot catches in Monty #2's.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Duke 1.5's are a good trap to start with.........

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
i run fully modified offset 4 coil Bridger #2s...caught 3 reds this year with them...NO DAMAGE at all to any of them..all caught super high..2 by the front left foot and 1 rear foot..think the female tried to pee on a set..

they'll hold coyotes no trouble as well...caught 1 in one last year...

not sure why trapper jim had damage...not laminated? not swiveled well? trap chain bound up some how? rough/sharp jaw or laminations? mine are short chained with 3 swivels 1 off the D-ring, 3 links, swivel, 3 links and a swivel to the anchor...my lams are round stock and makes a nice jaw surface...

·
Registered
18,597 Posts
MB 550, 2 coil will hold a coyote. If trapping in frozen ground I'd 4 coil. All I did to mine is add an extra swivel mid-chain. They come ready to go out of the box however (just need dye/wax).

·
Registered
653 Posts
Sleepy 1 3/4 offset or regular, Got a dozen Duke 2's I baseplated I'm pretty happy with also. The 2's are basically the same size as 1 3/4's. If there's coyote sign I'll run Bridger 2's 4 coiled or Sleepy #3's.

·
Registered
44 Posts
TRAPPER_JIM said:
I am using Bridger #2 Offsets w/ 4 Coil. Caught my first fox today with a high left foot catch. It had EXTENSIVE foot damage. I was setting for coyote but got the fox. I don't know what I could have done different.
Had a high foot catch on a red yesterday with a bridger #2 os 2 coil with no damage. High catches aren't normally a problem. IMO 4 coils are an overkill...even with yotes in the area. I've had no problem holding yotes with 2 coils.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts