The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to replace my old gas smoker and I want to go electric for the first time.

Figured I would ask the experts. Anyone have any recommendations/pro/cons/why you like or don't like yours?

·
Registered
337 Posts
NOT BRADLEY!!!!!!
I have a six rack Bradley electric and out of the box it was a POC. One 500W heating element that kept burning out. The electronic temp controller has a range of about ±20degrees, so not very helpful. I changed the temp controller to an after market PID and now I can maintain about ±2degrees(which is needed when smoking sausage). I also added a second aftermarket 1000W heating element. So now the cabinet has 1500W of heat capability. Now I have an electric smoker that works properly.
I like the idea of set it and forget it. I like to load the smoker the night before and let things cook overnight. The PID controller I have measures the air temp in the cabinet, and the internal meat temp. I can program it to shut off at any desired internal meat temp.
Good luck.

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Beezer! I was actually looking at a Bradley, because of their cool camo paint job. Glad you posted.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
I have a Masterbuilt in the Cabelas version. It has treated me well doing summer sausage and snack sticks. It has an electronic probe so you can see internal meat temp as well as smoker temp. It also has blue tooth so I can watch it from inside the house...and I can adjust temperature and time remaining from my phone. You can add wood chips without opening the door...and it has a handy light that helps when unloading the smoker after dark.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I bought a pellet smoker 10-12 years ago and have been completely happy with it. It's the "set it and forget it" part that's the best. Brine the Thanksgiving turkey overnight Tuesday, set the smoker to 210 degrees Wednesday night around 10pm....get up Thursday morning and put foil over the breast and legs. Carve it up and bask in your hard-earned glory!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have the Masterbuilt. I have no complaints. It has a window in the door which is useless after a couple of uses.

It holds temps well.
I've done at least 15 briskets, and a dozen batches of salmon. I think it was around 230 dollars at Sam's Club.

The briskets were whole, not just the flats, were around 15 pounds, and take about 12 hours at 235 degrees.

It does have problems smoking at low temps (around 120) in the warmer months. The smoker is insulated and the heating element does not turn on enough to create smoke. There is a smoke generator attachment available that will take care of that.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Cabelas has the masterbuilt MS140s on sale for $200. But all Im reading in reviews is that it has faulty controller. I take reviews with a grain of salt as usually the only people that review are not happy with products. For those of you with masterbuilts, what is yolur experience with temp control and element longevity?

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Cabelas has the masterbuilt MS140s on sale for $200. But all Im reading in reviews is that it has faulty controller. I take reviews with a grain of salt as usually the only people that review are not happy with products. For those of you with masterbuilts, what is yolur experience with temp control and element longevity?
I am very happy with mine. Set the temp and time and walk away. However, I don't do the smoking in mine. I have an old electric outside and do the smoking in it and then transfer it to the MB electric inside the garage to finish it, works very well for me.

·
Registered
265 Posts
What ever you get make sure it is well insulated. You want get much smoke from the electrics, but depending on what you will be smoking, it may not matter. (most of the commercial spice kits come with smoke flavoring - extra smoke is not needed). You won't get a traditional smoke flavor or smoke ring when cooking whole meats, chicken, ribs pork butt ect.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts