The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In your opinion what is the best deer hunting cartridge for .308? Over the counter preferably. But if anyone would like to comment on their reload, that's cool too.
I ask because I think I shot a nice buck this season with Federal .308 BTHP Gold Medal Match - 168 grain, but I found no blood trail. My buddy told me not to use that round. Any comments? It's very accurate. What would make it a bad hunting round?
Oh, by the way....I'm shooting a Remington 700 Varmint.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I am shooting the Winchester Ballistic Silvertips 168 grain out of my .308 They have been the best factory load I have tried so far. I've probably killed around 10 deer with them, and haven't had to track one yet.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Federal loads sierra matchkings in their match shells. These are not designed to preform like a hunting bullet. I have to agree with pumpgun, 150 corlokts would be hard to beat.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
corlockts are well proven. My dad shot a doe this year with a 300 savage (almost identical specs as .308) and my cousin helped him a bit with the trailing. There was blood where the deer was hit, and then nothing really for about 30-40 yards, and then a light trail (sprinkled drops) the last 30 yards. About a 70 yard death run and the deer fell down in heavy brush. Double lung, perfect shot.

If your shot was true, you've got a dead deer out there somewhere.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
It's never a good idea to use a match grade bullet for hunting unless you have an understanding of which ones will expand. Most (but not all) match grade bullets have too heavy a jacket to allow for proper expansion. You should have listened to your buddy.

·
Registered
605 Posts
The nice point about a .308 is that it enough gun that any game bullet (not match bullets) will work well for deer. I don't think there is any need for premium bullets. Before I loaded Accubonds for him, my brother had success with Federal Fusions in his .308.

Will

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
PaBowHunter340 said:
In your opinion what is the best deer hunting cartridge for .308? Over the counter preferably. But if anyone would like to comment on their reload, that's cool too.
I ask because I think I shot a nice buck this season with Federal .308 BTHP Gold Medal Match - 168 grain, but I found no blood trail. My buddy told me not to use that round. Any comments? It's very accurate. What would make it a bad hunting round?
Oh, by the way....I'm shooting a Remington 700 Varmint.
The 168 gr BTHP gold medal match is not and was not designed as a hunting bullet , if you go to the sierra bullet web page it tells you this bullet is not reccomended for hunting.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well that's the thing....I think I rushed the shot. I think I missed. But the point was when I told my buddy about the event, he told me NOT to use that round for deer hunting. And after reading the posts on here, I'm going to buy some Core Lokt and/or Winchester Silver Tips. I've used the Win ST's in my 7mm/08 and they worked great. But the Remmy Core Lokt's are cheaper.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He didn't tell me until AFTER I already went hunting. And I am going to listen to him after confirming his advice by the posts on here.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
For sure wrong bullet. IMO you need a good huntin bullet in 150gr. For the .308 factory you can get good deal's. Rem. core-Lokt would be fine and somewhat cheap. If your huntin with a Target Rem. seems alittle heavy for deer huntin. Try to stay away from H.P for deer also JMO.....later

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I recommend the corelokts as well.... Inexpensive over premium grde loades, and they are PROVEN deer killers. They have great expansion/mushrooming, and about any caliber rifle with a corelokt will punch through any deers shoulders.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I buy Federal Fusion loads for my .308, and hand load Swift A-frame 180's for moose, 150 & 165 gr for deer; either Nosler Accubonds or Swift Sciroccos.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
b&ghuntre said:
For sure wrong bullet. IMO you need a good huntin bullet in 150gr. For the .308 factory you can get good deal's. Rem. core-Lokt would be fine and somewhat cheap. If your huntin with a Target Rem. seems alittle heavy for deer huntin. Try to stay away from H.P for deer also JMO.....later

I agree.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
reloads
my,Rem pump 180gr round nose
son's mountain rifle, 165 gr btsp
all hornady

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Fusion is all you need for PA deer and bear. No need for premium bullets unless you are hunting moose or elk.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts