The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I would buy 50 acres in Ohio if need be opposed to 100 in Pa. I have owned land in Pa and sold it. Good luck keeping all the trespassers off if you live on it let alone travel to it. JMO

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
You get caught trespassing in Ohio penalties can range from a fourth degree misdemeanor, punishable by up to 30 days in jail to a first degree misdemeanor punishable by up to 180 days in jail. It is illegal walking on the railroad tracks in Ohio considered criminal trespass. Ohio takes trespassing very serious they don't mess around in Ohio nothing like Pa. The $300 fine that exists in Pa that is hard to get anyone to enforce is a joke. I hunted Ohio for 12 years I never saw one tresspasser not saying it doesn't happen but nothing like PA.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Crawford Co. is a nice place to own some acreage, good deer and turkey hunting along with waterfowl as well and when your not hunting there is plenty of good fishing to be had through out Crawford and surrounding County`s with Lake Erie just a stones throw away....

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Crawford Co. is a nice place to own some acreage, good deer and turkey hunting along with waterfowl as well and when your not hunting there is plenty of good fishing to be had through out Crawford and surrounding County`s with Lake Erie just a stones throw away....
Agree 100%.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
You get caught trespassing in Ohio penalties can range from a fourth degree misdemeanor, punishable by up to 30 days in jail to a first degree misdemeanor punishable by up to 180 days in jail. It is illegal walking on the railroad tracks in Ohio considered criminal trespass. Ohio takes trespassing very serious they don't mess around in Ohio nothing like Pa. The $300 fine that exists in Pa that is hard to get anyone to enforce is a joke. I hunted Ohio for 12 years I never saw one tresspasser not saying it doesn't happen but nothing like PA.

Man that has not been our experience in Ohio. Experienced blatant trespassing by the locals even after the owner put up gates. They tore down gates and cables, dumped trash, rode four wheelers, hunted mushrooms and road hunted while we were there.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
fall gobbler if I were you I would get the police involved. If they are doing it while you are there imagine what goes on when your not. The bad thing about owning especially a camp or land you don't live on the locals know when you are gone by the vehicles. If the locals are crazy you can't fix that stirring up trouble could have things burnt down. I have never seen blatant tresspassing as spoke of above in Ohio in Pa it happens all the time. JMO

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I for one would look for land not far from home, Make sure the land has access to hunt, Say you come across 200 acres! sounds good but if 150 acres is field the other 50 woods,your paying taxes on 150 acres you might not step foot on to hunt. Look for good deer signs! creek? ravins? thick coverage,.neighbors, To pick one is tough! A lot of good Counties in Pa.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Keep in mind when you look at Bradford, Sullivan, Tioga, and parts of Lycoming and Clinton counties-- the price of land will vary greatly depending on the transfer or retainment of OMG rights. I would hesitate to purchase land that did not include all OMG rights, but I know in these counties those rights come with a pretty stiff price tag- in some cases as much as $7500/acre.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
If your criteria is big bucks then I say this. I see as many big bucks on my trail cams around my house in suburban Philly as I do in our NE Bradford camp. Hunting my neighborhood is tough but can be done. Its a 3 1/2 hr drive to camp and we have 6000 acres of gamelands within walking distance. Deer are spread out further than home which is a patchwork of woods and pinch points. Find properties you can afford then visit and scout the site. Look for thick cover, water and food, trails and scat. Good luck

·
Registered
220 Posts
What not Potter? lol, Potter produces some big old buck. I am convinced some of those buck have never seen another human. The old timer i know up there killed 1 last archery season that was 8.5 years old and the year before he got one in archery that was 6.5. He owns 15 acres that borders Susquennock SF. Every rifle season when i go visit him he shows me all the buck he gets on camera leading up to rifle. Some big boys on that mountain if you can find them. Another guy 2 years ago shot a 7.5 year old 16 point in archery 300 yards from this guys property on SF.
Yep I agree a lot of bucks in potter that just die of old age. I know there are buck out there that no one has ever seen.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
How many are you going to shoot in one year?
Well, if you shoot one mature buck, and there's only one because 30 acres isn't enough space and doesn't have the right cover, food, doe's etc to keep multiple bucks there, what happens next year when there's no mature bucks to hunt..

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Well, if you shoot one mature buck, and there's only one because 30 acres isn't enough space and doesn't have the right cover, food, doe's etc to keep multiple bucks there, what happens next year when there's no mature bucks to hunt..
Really??? Don't you think that maybe the "next in line" will mature for next year, etc.?

Plus, see ya fall gobbler posted. It's not that hard. well.. maybe.. Learn to "think like a deer." You do that and you will be successful in more ways than you can imagine.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts