The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
30 acres isn't enough to hold multiple large mature bucks.

I agree its not.

Yes some deer in some developed areas stay their whole lives in small plots but that's not the case if they have other good feeding and cover areas close by.

. I'd say if you want to hunt your own deer without pressure from other hunters and have a choice of stands for wind direction and weather conditions and what not then you need at least 100 acres. And to my mind 100 acres is really just getting started.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I’m mainly bowhunting whitetails. I don’t have a ton of money so as far as acreage it would depend on the price. Would like to get about a 100 acres.
100 acres going to cost you a pretty penny down here in Greene co bud!

Land prices depend on many things. How much road frontage, any buildings, is it tillable, does it pass a perk test, can it be subdivided, is it swampy, is there marketable timber? Then there's the property taxes. What school system? That's only scratching the surface.

I'd say in Green county your looking at a minimum of $3000 per acre and possibly much higher. One hundred acres may cost you three or four hundred thousand. I don't know I never go south of I80. If trophy whitetails are what you want I bet you could go on guided deer hunts in Saskatchewan , Maine or Manitoba or any where else every year for a whole lot of years and never hit that price.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Go to landwatch. Choose PA, then filter the property to the county your looking at.

Try to find a good neighborhood (likewise goals) or coop if such thing even exist in PA if you want trophy bucks.

Lots of things to consider. But if you find the right small tract it can produce. For instance a funnel between ag or larger tracts of timber etc.

Coming from 30acres I went for bang for the buck with the 160 I bought 4 years ago. Since I have 2 sons and some family that hunts.

SW and SE parts of the states are gonna kill you in taxes. Just for vacant land. Something to consider.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Go to Clint Stout Properties , his site shows hunting properties that he lists . He has many listings by counties along with acreage and prices .

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Just throwing this out. For the price of a lease or buying property you can make a lot of good trips to public land SGL and get some nice hunting opportunities. ANF is one.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
One more thing to consider, even if the land is "junk", an old strip mine, the potential for the Marcellus shale gas drove land prices through the roof, at least in SW PA.

Before if you could not farm it, or easily develop it for homes, land prices were limited. Now, any decent sized tract of land is pricey.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Properly made Sanctuaries is very important in more ways than one. This one has water. Make it properly, and they will come. What's keeps big bucks home??? THE GIRLS, and plenty of them will be there in a properly made sanctuary. Remember, a wood plot can be a sanctuary, under certain conditions, but make it right and you would be surprised how well it works. 5 Years is all it takes starting from just nothing but an open field. This place had one already. Someone earlier here said, 3k an acre. Maybe for all woods on a dirt road. Around here, it's about 4 - 5k an acre to start for woods and some fields. Nice areas, 6 -7k
with more open. Again, this is 30 acres, about 25 acres fields. 199k. I'm sure you could get it for less. State owned, Blacktop road frontage. Across the road from another 40 acre sanctuary. Low tax district too. Hey, there's nothing in it for me, I'm just trying to help out someone that takes there deer hunting serious, like me.
Also, to "build" your sanctuary correctly is not expensive. Basically the cost of pine tree seedlings and some clover seed. You can also decide how much you want to let in farm land.

·
Registered
166 Posts
For what land cost I think I’d treat myself to some trips for things you would not find in pa. Now land can be a good investment id you decide to sell down the road or timber witch you would have to for wildlife reasons. To ever have large enough average to really manage deer the average joe just can’t afford it.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
also heard Lycoming, Clinton, Tioga and Sullivan were good as well.
What not Potter? lol, Potter produces some big old buck. I am convinced some of those buck have never seen another human. The old timer i know up there killed 1 last archery season that was 8.5 years old and the year before he got one in archery that was 6.5. He owns 15 acres that borders Susquennock SF. Every rifle season when i go visit him he shows me all the buck he gets on camera leading up to rifle. Some big boys on that mountain if you can find them. Another guy 2 years ago shot a 7.5 year old 16 point in archery 300 yards from this guys property on SF.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Chester county is the home of a lot of trophy buck but be prepared to shell out million$ of dollars for a small farm. I'm with the lease proponents. One needs to remember the opportunity cost of shelling out a couple hundred thousand that is going to be dead money. Better to invest that amount and use the earnings for a lease.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I agree, potter county without a doubt. My father in law lives in Genesse, Pa. The amount of deer we see when we visit. Fields with 30 plus deer? I was shocked to see that many deer in fields, field after field. Before deer season and after deer season. Go 2 miles north you are in New York, man deer every where. Town of Wellsville, New York deer herds in home owners yards feeding throughout the day. Reminds me the 80's and 90's here in Centre County. I don't see that here as I do in Potter County.

Take a drive to Westfield from Genesse. The amount of deer and hugh bucks we see, wow just unreal. I hunting in the wrong county LOL.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts