The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx guys....I have some butchs...its visible on the lands and doesn't wanna come out...ton the point of frustration....especially when I know wipe out would taken it right out and of course I am out! Lol.

I hate to place an order right now being the only thing I need..

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I am getting somewhere finally....maybe.... never running out of wipe out again though! Actually having to work on a bore isn't fun I rather be shooting!

·
Registered
715 Posts
I used to use Sweets, then I was introduced to KG-12. This year I broke in one of the worst fouling barrels ever, I questioned the KG-12 out of frustration. Inspecting with a bore scope after each solvent, I tried wipe out, sweets, Butche's and Montana extreme; KG-12 is the most effective. The issue is this, it doesn't use ammonia therefore it's very difficult to tell when the copper is out because your patches don't turn blue. If you have a bore scope there are no issues

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good info guys! Thanx!!

Grove, that sounds about right..I usually order from mid south when ordering other stuff....problem is they were out last time I ordered...I really like wipe out and other foam doesn't come close IMO...a soaking or 2 is usually all it takes and no scrubbing..

Will have to try kg-12 next time....

How do you guys use sweets, butches, Montana, and kg-12??? Patches, soak time, brushing? Maybe I am not letting it soak long enough...I have butches and Montana and I am still seeing some copper on the lands...

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Gunslick Foaming Bore Cleaner. I used to use sweets but will never go back after Gunslick. Spray it in, walk away and come back a while later to push a few patches through. Don't need to worry about leaving it in too long like sweets.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Glock , try wipe out some time....I've tried both because I can get gun slick locally as well as break frees foam...wipe out brings out stuff others have missed every time...

That's the beauty of the foams though...you don't have to sweat while using it or by worrying about your bore...

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Cripes....save your money and just use an ammonia mix. I have been using this on Milsurp rifles for years.

The typical "household ammonia" is only 3 percent and does not work very well as a copper remover. However, to remove copper fouling you can use use straight "strong ammonia" (9 - 10 percent) carried by many janitorial supply houses and hardware stores.

Run a wet patch through the bore and allow to sit for about 5 minutes and proceed as usual. Don't use a brass bore brush or jag for obvious reasons. Thoroughly clean with bore cleaner after using ammonia to prevent rust.

To make it easier to use mix it like this.

2 parts - 10% ammonia,
1 part - Ivory liquid dishwashing detergent

This modification of the "ammonia solution" thickens the liquid and helps to keep it in the bore for more efficient cleaning

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Barnes CR-10. Haven't bought it in a while but they came out with it to remove the copper fouling from their copper bullets. Which was more of an issue some years back with their bullets more than now. Has ammonia I think.

·
Registered
638 Posts
bore tech eliminator has no peers...........

1 - 20 of 23 Posts