The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My next purchase will be a small handgun specifically for conceal carry. I started looking at the taurus judge, but found it too big and bulky. I'm currently looking at the springfield XD sub-compact 40 cal. Good choice??

I know at least some of you are going to say the ruger lcp .380....my father has one and it feels like a toy to me. I want something that feels like a gun when you hold it, yet still able to be easily concealed. Suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
S&W 442/642 38+P in a revolver or Glock 26 9mm in a semi-auto pistol are two fine concealed carry firearms.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I currently own and carry the XD Subcompact in .40 S&W. You will not be disappointed!!! I like how it carries and shoots. Very accurate for a 3" barrel. I use a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB holster. Very comfortable. Spend the extra $ and get the combat cut and horsehide. Also suggest you put the truglo TFO sites on the XD.

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
Glock 26 in the Crossbreed Supertuck. I carry a G17 magazine as a backup.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Agree 100% with Mossy-Oaks. XD40 sub compact. you will not be sorry. only difference, I got a holster from nmholsters. custom made for the gun.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Take a look at the Sig Sauer P238, easily concealed in a pocket with a pocket holster, even if your wearing nothing but a pair of Wrangler shorts.

·
Registered
502 Posts
my recommendation would be a Glock 27 in a 40

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Son has the XD-40 and loves it. I prefer the S&W mdl 10 2".

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all for the advice and comments! Two more questions...

What would be a fair price to pay for the XD-40 in subcompact??

And any suggestions on reputable gun shops in the Lancaster area?? I'm new to the city.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I like the G27 suggestion also, with the slightly heavier NY-1 trigger spring.

My perfect choice, might not be your perfect choice.
I use a Kel-Tec .380, a S&W 642, and a Glock 36

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
SouthPaw0180 said:
And any suggestions on reputable gun shops in the Lancaster area?? I'm new to the city.
Gun Dealer Online
823 Rohrerstown Rd
Lancaster, PA 17601

1-800-516-1084 Direct Line
http://www.gundealeronline.com

Online Mon-Fri - 9-5 EST
Retail Mon-Fri - 10-6 EST
Retail Saturday - 10-2 EST
Sunday - Closed

They also have a retail shop in Lancaster. Super nice guys and the best prices I can find anywhere even on the net!

If you decide to go purchase there let me know and I'll give you my name as a reference :)

·
Registered
25,511 Posts
If you decide to go purchase there let me know and I'll give you my name as a reference :)
Will they charge extry fer that?

Used to tell one dealer that I'd urged people to deal with him, but always told 'em not to use my name, or he might throw them out. He said it was pretty darn good advice.

·
Registered
7,666 Posts
When I "wear" my Ruger P90, I shove a phone book in my pants as a counter-weight.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just checked out that gundealeronline website...thanks for the tip! I'll definately be stopping in there this weekend. Buying...maybe, but definately checking it out!

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
limbhnger10 said:
When I "wear" my Ruger P90, I shove a phone book in my pants as a counter-weight.
My kp345pr is SWEET to carry..I sometimes forget I have it on my hip under my shirt....

I feel for you guys who have those heavy carry pistols that weigh you down!

Knight has the Glock 21 and comments many times about it's weight on his hip!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
it's all in the holster, what weight with a quality holster, they cost $70 or more but are so worth it.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
vapor trail said:
it's all in the holster, what weight with a quality holster, they cost $70 or more but are so worth it.
I don't know about that...

My Uncle Mike's Paddle Holster cost me $29.99 at Bass Pro and it works GREAT!

Knight has a level 1 or 2 (can not remember which it is) paddle holster and he says his glock is down right heavy and pulls on his pants and belt...I know he spent way more then $29.99 for his holster, I think it is a Safari land holster

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
i carry a full size sig sauer P226 with a DESANTIS SCABBARD adjustable holster, the key is wear a 1 1/2" belt, it keeps it secure to your body.the CROSSBREED is another top notch holster for carring a full size pistol. i just don't have a problem with the weight issue using a quality holster. however if your a form fitting spandex wearer, i would suggest a derringer using a crotch holster.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts