The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
4,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read and article today about Super Bowl XLVIII and in the article this was the quote it ended with: "I talked to David (Stern) yesterday. I don't give him any advice," Goodell said. "He's the dean. He gives us advice."

Got me thinking, in the four major American sports how would you rank the comissioners and why?

Mine is as follows:

1. Gary Bettman: Hockey is on the rise in the US and it appears that every year there is some new team making a playoff push so there is parity. Application of penalties/suspensions seems inconsistant though. Contracts are not crazy and roookies, no matter how good they are, don't get $60 million deals.
2. Roger Godell: Tough for me to point out a lot of good but I still think he is better than the rest. The NFL is such a huge business it is amazing to me that one man (of course there are thousands) can really be a figure head. There are fairness and power issues there though.
3. Bud Selig: He and Godell run almost neck and neck for me but until Selig puts Pete Rose in the HoF and returnsd the All-Star game to a meaningless fun game I can't rank him higher. MLB has no parity in the league and the luxury tax is a joke, if they are goign to put somethign in place to help small markets then they should also determine how it is spent (i.e. on the field). If they can tell a team they have to give up money they earned they should tell team how to spend what they are given.
4. David Stern: To me it seems like the NBA PLayers Union completely runs the show there.

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
Never before has there been such a dearth of good leadership in the major sports leagues. I pick Stern as the best, and it gags me to say that. Selig was not the guy who banned Rose, and the fact is that ownership in baseball would have to agree to 100% revenue sharing, and the players would have to agree to a cap, both of which are not ultimately under Selig's control. If I were owner of the Yankees, there is no way on Earth I would ever agree to revenue sharing when you have a guy like Nutting who will simply pocket the money. In Bettman's case, every year there also seems to be a team in danger of folding or moving. The discipline system is so bizarre it's staggering. Goodell--nuff said.

·
Registered
40,093 Posts
Pete Rose is not in the Hall of Fame because of his own actions, not Bud Selig's inactions. Blame Pete. There is no one else to blame.

BTW, great player. Not a great person.

·
Registered
20,668 Posts
Goodell is horrible and Bettman is a joke. With Selig, the whole product is broken, not just the top guy. I dont know anything about basketball.

·
Registered
25,517 Posts
IIRC, it was Fay Vincent that banned Rose?

And subsequent commissioners have done nothing to change that, since Rose still refuses to address the reasons he was originally banned?

Other than finally admitting that he bet on baseball and some lame mumble about betting as a manager, he's right where he belongs: Outside, looking in.

Great player. Lousy father, husband and human being.

My solution, would be to put up a small statue of him outside the Hall Of Fame and make him scatter bird seed around it 7 days per week?

·
Registered
40,093 Posts
My solution, would be to put up a small statue of him outside the Hall Of Fame and make him scatter bird seed around it 7 days per week?
I like that solution. One year at our annual super bowl party this question was asked, "Should Pete Rose be in the Hall of Fame?" Not one person said yes. All were Phillies fans.

BTW, Bart Giamatti was Commissioner when Pete accepted his lifetime ban from baseball. He died shortly after and Vincent replaced him.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
you know, every year Mick Schmidt goes to the HOF veterans committee and lobbys for pete to get in. I have tremendous respect for Schmidt and I think peoples personal lives need to be kept otu of their professional lives. That doesn't excuse his betting on baseball, but leave the stuff about him as a father or cousin or rabbi out of it. Let the past be the past and put him in there, it wont ever be complete without arguable the best hitter in history.

Just by virtue of sheer size of the nfl, I have to give it to Goodell. Its almost too much power and money for one man to have control over. Its still going strong though and he brought the league out of a lockout so he must be doing something right.

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
Rose Agreement

"Nothing in this agreement shall be deemed either an admission or a denial by Peter Edward Rose of the allegation that he bet on any major-league baseball game from the Rose-Major League Baseball Agreement, 1989 "

I look at it this way. There is considerable evidence that shows Shoeless Joe Jackson DID NOT bet on the World Series, however, he's not in. I'm not entirely certain, but I don't think betting on baseball was actually even against the rules at that time. Jackson should be in well ahead of Rose, who admits betting on baseball. IF the bets he placed on his own team were only straight up, and only had his team winning, I can see his point. But he also knew the rules, perhaps better than any player in MLB. As a player, without a doubt, he deserves to be there. But he knew the risks.

I also admit that Rule 5 is a hypocritical joke, with its "character and integrity" clause. If this is so, Ty Cobb may have been the most odious person ever to set foot on a baseball field. Babe Ruth was an alcoholic womanizer. Gaylord Perry was a spitballer. Where is the line drawn? Furthermore, what about the all time HR king, who by all accounts, never broke a rule of baseball? Mickey Mantle is in the HOF. In addition to being a womanizing alcoholic, he was addicted to painkillers that enabled him to play better on his destroyed knees. When do we decide what is OK and what is not?

·
Registered
40,093 Posts
I honestly don't know much about Pete's personal life. My comments that he is not a great person were meant in a baseball sense, i.e. betting on the game , lying about it, setting up his autograph booth at the Hall of Fame every year and crying to anybody who will listen that he should be in the Hall, when he agreed to the ban. Snubbing kids who "asked" for his autograph, (during his playing days) of course he'd gladly sell it to them. Crying that Gene Garber pitched him like it was the 7th game of the WS to break up his hitting streak.(how should he pitch him) He's just not a good guy in a baseball sense.

·
4,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am aware the Selig didn't ban Pete but he does have the power to change things. Pete Rose bet on baseball and that was wrong, he knew the risks and still took it problem is he got caught. I am looking at it this way though, Rose got 4,256 hits that is 67 more than the next guy (Cobb) and 485 more then the guy after that (Aaron). Those are significant numbers. Betting on baseball, womanizing, alcohol, drugs, hunting, fishing, being a bad father, speeding tickets, or what ever else didn't affect a sweet swing (People may string me up for this one but McQuire, Bonds, Sosa....it takes way way way more than muscle to hit home runs, put them in). Not to mention he is also the all time leader in games played and a 17 time All-Star, 2 time Gold Glove winner, and countless other accolades.

Go ahead put an asterick by all their names I don't care, heck even put them in a special "Bad Boys" section of the HoF but also put in their bio that they have done things that most men can't. No matter how much we dream about it for ourselves or our kids these men accomplished things that most of us never have or will.

SF58 I agree 100% about Shoeless Joe too. By most accounts he didn't bet on baseball or throw the series. IIRC the normally sure thing outfielder committed one error during the series and they automatically assumed he did it on purpose. Not saying the team did no wrong but Shoeless Joe paid the price for the rest of their transgressions.

·
6,669 Posts
Don Garber

He took a league that lost about half a billion dollars and made it profitable. The next franchise will be worth about $100 million.

Stern is last place for me based on what is going on in the NBA and Goodell is second to last.

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
Backwoods said:
I am aware the Selig didn't ban Pete but he does have the power to change things. Pete Rose bet on baseball and that was wrong, he knew the risks and still took it problem is he got caught. I am looking at it this way though, Rose got 4,256 hits that is 67 more than the next guy (Williams) and 485 more then the guy after that (Aaron). Those are significant numbers. Betting on baseball, womanizing, alcohol, drugs, hunting, fishing, being a bad father, speeding tickets, or what ever else didn't affect a sweet swing (People may string me up for this one but McQuire, Bonds, Sosa....it takes way way way more than muscle to hit home runs, put them in). Not to mention he is also the all time leader in games played and a 17 time All-Star, 2 time Gold Glove winner, and countless other accolades.

Go ahead put an asterick by all their names I don't care, heck even put them in a special "Bad Boys" section of the HoF but also put in their bio that they have done things that most men can't. No matter how much we dream about it for ourselves or our kids these men accomplished things that most of us never have or will.

SF58 I agree 100% about Shoeless Joe too. By most accounts he didn't bet on baseball or throw the series. IIRC the normally sure thing outfielder committed one error during the series and they automatically assumed he did it on purpose. Not saying the team did no wrong but Shoeless Joe paid the price for the rest of their transgressions.
Ty Cobb, another world class jagoff, is second, and they are the only two members of the 4,000 hit club.

·
Registered
40,093 Posts
Backwoods, if it was just about Pete's numbers there is no question he'd be in the Hall of Fame. Pete should have defended himself and never signed the agreement banning him from the sport. Only thing is, he had no defense and he knew it. Giamatti was holding all of the cards. Now he is paying the price. I don't think Pete will ever be in the Hall of Fame, just my opinion.

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
CRENoutdoors said:
Don Garber

He took a league that lost about half a billion dollars and made it profitable. The next franchise will be worth about $100 million.

Stern is last place for me based on what is going on in the NBA and Goodell is second to last.
I still put Goodell last. He's completely gutted the physicality from professional football, plays favorites, and is a power drunk dictator who should be ashamed that he is disgracing the office previously held by Tagliabue and Rozell.

·
4,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't think he will ever get in either and I would be suprised to see Bonds, Sosa, Palmero, etc. get in. All I am saying is all of the Hall of Fame committees in every sport should consider the talent within the sport.

I do agree, Rose didn't defend himself because he had no defense.

Also correction to the other post, I typed Williams but it is Cobb.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts