The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
6,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been really enjoying a philly cheese steak mountain pie lately. easy and good. what do you all cook for an easy simple meal?

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Fast and easy,no cleanup is foil pack dinner.
Venison/pork patties,thin sliced potato,carrots and onion,salt pepper or Janes crazy salt,a slice or 2 of butter. Take a double layer of heavy foil,put it all in the center by layering the onions and butter on top. another double layer of foil,fold each side onceover and continue around until its sealed well. put on coals or grill 10-15 minutes on each side.If you sealed it right it will puff up creating a mini pressure cooker. MMMMM
Have also made peach or apple cobbler with butter, cinnamon and bisqick mix the same way. Realy good

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Wald Jager said:
Fast and easy,no cleanup is foil pack dinner.
Venison/pork patties,thin sliced potato,carrots and onion,salt pepper or Janes crazy salt,a slice or 2 of butter. Take a double layer of heavy foil,put it all in the center by layering the onions and butter on top. another double layer of foil,fold each side onceover and continue around until its sealed well. put on coals or grill 10-15 minutes on each side.If you sealed it right it will puff up creating a mini pressure cooker. MMMMM
Have also made peach or apple cobbler with butter, cinnamon and bisqick mix the same way. Realy good
sounds like a hobo pie

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
What is your recipe for the philly cheese steak mountain pie? I presume I could figure it out but thought maybe you had it perfected?

Most recently my campfire cooking has been for larger groups (25 ish)and involved my turkey cooker. For dinner I do a "low country boil" and for breakfast we do "bag omelets".

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
You can make a dandy good steak in one of the doublewide mountain pie irons. You have to trim the beef to fit, I butter one side, olive oil the other. Don't season beforehand, the seasoning will burn in the intense heat. I like med. rare, that's 2 minutes per side.

·
6,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mtn.Laurel Man said:
I've heard of making bag omlets, never had one though. How is it done?
pat we have done them at camp when all the kids are there. get a ziplock bag and put your eggs in it and all the ingredients you can writ the persons name on the bag with a sharpie so u get the right one. boil some water put the bags in and in about 5 or so minutes an easy no mess breakfast.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
A few things to add to "tree's" instruction, 1) use "freezer" bags, 2) Remove as much air as possible from the bag. 3) we boil 13 min., 4) cut the top off the bag and dump the contents onto a plate.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Have also made eggs with 2 halves of an orange. Cut orange in half and eat it. mix up egg,cheese,cooked bacon or any of your favorite combos. fill no more than 3/4 full and put in coals till done

·
Registered
436 Posts
HOBO PIES!!! One fresh burger patty broken into pieces, Canned potatoes, Frozen veggies (peas, carrots, beans, anything you want), barbeque sauce (lots!!!) and foil. Load everything into a foil pouch and smother in the sauce. Put on hot coals and cook for roughly 5-10 minutes on each side. Cut open and enjoy!

·
Registered
12,208 Posts
You folks need to visit a black powder rendezvous. No aluminum foil, plastic or paper plates allowed.

Canada Goose cooked slow on a spit, slathered with orange sauce, wild rice, roast corn, sweet potatoes roast in the coals, biscuits and apples baked in a dutch oven.

We frequently roast a whole turkey on a spit, or grill a whole salmon,

For breakfast, I often make cornbread pancakes on a cast iron griddle hung over the fire.

We don't use much canned stuff when camping, but we do make camp doughnuts. We poke a finger size hole through the middle of those biscuits that come in the cardboard tubes, fry them up and then sprinkle with sugar.

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Can of Dinty Moore beef stew was always a staple!

But a pork tenderloin wrapped in foil and thrown into a fire ring, next to the coals. Turn it every 15 minutes, about 3 beers time til it's ready

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Always have 2 or 3 dutch ovens going at a time. Usually a meal in one and a couple desserts in the others.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
When I was on fire crew in Alaska, we were fed 50's and 60's era c-rations (the ones in the cans). We would take the unopened cans and put them directly on the coals. As they heated they would make a little noise. When it made noise, it was time to take off the fire, shake it and put it back in the fire. Did this several times until heated thru. We called it bleeping and was essentially pressure cooking the meal in the can with no burning.

We called it bleeping the cans. The trick being to know when to remove the can before it blew up. A blown up can of beany/weenies or spaghetti/meatballs was not a pretty sight.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
When making bag eggs make sure you use bags made for cooking in. There are quite a few that aren't and can really make your food taste nasty.

We always make breakfast mtn pies.

Take your 2 pieces of buttered bread and cut a hole in the center of one. A cooking spray lid works great.

Place cut hole bread on iron.

Crack egg in center of hole. Can break yolk for hard fried egg.

Place cheese on next.

Then place a few slices of precooked bacon/ham/sausage.
Then other piece of bread.

I cook the egg side first.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Not a big deal, but after hiking all day a mixture of dried mash potatoes, dried butter, and stuffing. Just add hot water. Lite to carry and fills the stomach.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Breakfast; two slices bread cream cheese in between slices put into french toast batter cook like French toast very good kids like choc. chips choc. syrup peanut butter and jelly. sounds weird but very good.Lunch roll italine sausage onions beer potatoes in dutch oven slow cook. Dinner Cornish hens in dutch oven cheesy potatoes dutch oven Blueberry cobbler dutch oven. Nap time!!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts