The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just got invited to Canada for caribou and black bear hunting. What caliber rifle should i bring? There is a light weight limit because we are flying in and out so i cannot bring 2 rifles. I have never done this before and would appreciate your opinions.
thanks,
matt

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Lucky dog! My favorite animals to hunt! I have done this hunt several times and IMO the .30-06 with 180 grain premium bullets is a great choice. I know killing a caribou can be done with a lot less but those bears can get pretty big up north. Have a great trip and I hope to see some harvest pics! Where you headed to and with what outfitter?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
big28hunter said:
Lucky dog! My favorite animals to hunt! I have done this hunt several times and IMO the .30-06 with 180 grain premium bullets is a great choice. I know killing a caribou can be done with a lot less but those bears can get pretty big up north. Have a great trip and I hope to see some harvest pics! Where you headed to and with what outfitter?
X2 !

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It wont be til 2015 unfortunately so it is a long wait!
lol but the Doctor I work with has been to the same outfitter several times, I think he said it was Leaf River outiftters? It is in Quebec I believe. Kind of pricey but he said is almost guarantees, and if the migration is not near the camp they will fly you to the area the herd is.
The Doc i work with does several hunts every year all over the world and he says he does this one every 2 or 3 years because he enjoys it so much and he has tagged out every time he has gone there about 6 times.

·
Registered
10,703 Posts
Unless they have a bait out for you, I would not be too concerned with the black bear. As far as the caribou, though they are big, they are not very tenacious of life and can be killed rather easily. I have gotten 9 so far. Anything from a .243 on up will be ok. Probably best off with a .270 or 7 mag.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Most of the locals used a .308 or .303 british when I was there. A 30/06 with 180 gr. should work for both. I found caribou were not too difficult to kill. I don't know about the bear.

·
Banned
462 Posts
I dont know if there is any "perfect" caliber for both, but there is a large window of calibers that would work quite well. I would lean towards a .300 win mag with 180gr bullets, this would work on bears or caribou from 5 feet 500+ yds....however I think anything from the .270 up would be more than adequate and depending on the situation/range some smaller calibers may be suitable as well.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Those outfitters that fly you out when the migration is nonexistent or slow is a great way to go! Best of luck! Time flies it will be here before you know it!

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I would take a .300 Win mag personally but some can't handle the recoil. An 06 would also fill the bill.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
big28hunter said:
Those outfitters that fly you out when the migration is nonexistent or slow is a great way to go! Best of luck! Time flies it will be here before you know it!
Yeah he said thats why were going with this outiftter its worth paying the extra money for the fly out if the migration is slow or farther away. I know time will fly and it will give me time to save up for it too haha

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
If you already have a rifle you shoot well I would use that! You already said it was rather pricey so why add the cost of another rifle, scope, shells, sling, etc?

·
Registered
739 Posts
neither animals are very tough anything .270 and up would be just fine. 7mm Rem. Mag would be ideal- fairly low recoil, plenty of knockdown power and you can reach out and touch em if needed

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
anything smaller than a squirrel shouldn't be shot without a magnum! use what you shoot the best with and you should be fine. next thing you know we can't shoot deer without ma duce in front of you

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Anything from 270 on up will work fine. 270,7mm mag, or 300 win would be best all flat shooting cals.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts