The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I am new to muzzleloading and I have a T/C Renegade .54 Flintlock. It has been in storage for a very lock time and the lock assembly needed worked on as it wouldn't "cock" so I sent it into T/C and am awaiting its return. In the meantime, I cannot find MaxiBall bullets for the caliber. And when I do, they're real heavy. I was looking into the Hornady Great Plains bullets. They have them for .54 in 425 gr. Anybody here ever use these out of this muzzleloader? If not, what has performed well for you out of a Renegade .54? All advice/suggestions are appreciated!

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Try a 530 or 535 round ball. They are worth a shot. Powerbelts are $$$ . I know the Deerstalker worked great with a round ball combo unless you are shooting competition save the money ...

·
Registered
110 Posts
I shoot a .530 round ball and a .020 patch in a .54 Renegade with 80 grains of 2F. The groups are really good. I tried the Great Plains with 90 grains plus an over the powder wad and did get good groups. The recoil is more and it's not cheap shooting, but if you're hunting with them it should be really effective.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I shoot a .530 round ball and a .020 patch in a .54 Renegade with 80 grains of 2F. The groups are really good. I tried the Great Plains with 90 grains plus an over the powder wad and did get good groups. The recoil is more and it's not cheap shooting, but if you're hunting with them it should be really effective.
Try a 530 or 535 round ball. They are worth a shot. Powerbelts are $$$ . I know the Deerstalker worked great with a round ball combo unless you are shooting competition save the money ...
You guys are definitely making sense. Roundballs are much more cost effective and I hear a lot of great things about them out of this rifle. Tried and true. Guess I am going to have to give them a try. I just didn't want to have to deal with lubed patches but it doesn't seem like all that big of a deal. Thanks

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
I shoot the great plains bullet. I used a lighter bullet maybe 390 -395, no longer made. Did just buy a box of 425 grain, but have not tried them yet. My renegade has a compromise twist of one in 48. So they can shoot either round balls or bullets. Wish it were a 1 in 28 or one in 32 or something like that for bullets. One in 66 for round ball. With the in between twist you just have to see what works best. Shooting 80 or 85 grains of powder.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I shoot the great plains bullet. I used a lighter bullet maybe 390 -395, no longer made. Did just buy a box of 425 grain, but have not tried them yet. My renegade has a compromise twist of one in 48. So they can shoot either round balls or bullets. Wish it were a 1 in 28 or one in 32 or something like that for bullets. One in 66 for round ball. With the in between twist you just have to see what works best. Shooting 80 or 85 grains of powder.
I would assume mine is 1 in 48 as well. I agree with you. Think I need to buy both a box of the 425 gr great plains bullets and a box of lighter round balls with lubed patches and spend a nice warm morning at the range (warm thoughts LOL) and see what performs the best.
Also, how is the recoil on these ol renegades? Much to worry about? Thought about buying one of those limbsaver slip-on deals for it.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Recoil is not too bad, but everyone handles recoil different. If you have a concern, buy the slip on pad , if it doesn't increase the length of pull too much. Reducing recoil is a good thing.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I shoot the Great Plains bullets in my .54 Deerstalker. I shoot the lighter ones but have some of the heavy ones that my brother gave me. He didn't think they fit the bore tight enough on his Greyhawk?

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I'm having a hard time finding T/C maxi balls and Maxi hunters.

Like the poster above i shoot 80 grn FFg with a patched round ball...

100 grn with the 435 grain maxi balls... hits the same point of aim

I still have a few of dad's 357 grn Maxi Hunters, never saw them on sale anywhere.

Did you speak to Thompson before sending your rifle?

I understand they are no longer making the Black Powder stuff and that the lifetime warranty is over...

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I contacted them from their website about the problem I was having. They emailed me instructing me to send the lock assembly into them and I did. Just got it back yesterday via Fedex and it's as good as new. Fully operational again. Looks like they replaced the spring and cleaned it up really well. No charge, not even for return shipping. I am extremely satisfied. Smith & Wesson now owns T/C.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I contacted them from their website about the problem I was having. They emailed me instructing me to send the lock assembly into them and I did. Just got it back yesterday via Fedex and it's as good as new. Fully operational again. Looks like they replaced the spring and cleaned it up really well. No charge, not even for return shipping. I am extremely satisfied. Smith & Wesson now owns T/C.
That's great news. i sent my lock back before the take over and received a new one which works great, mine was the old style so the upgrade was worth it.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I have owned a few cap and flint Renegade 54s and hunt with one. Truthfully, I have never been satisfied with the accuracy (wow, that was hard to admit in public). The most accurate loads have always been less powder and lighter bullets. Best I have found so far is the light PBelts with 80 gr of 2f. It is more than adequate for hunting.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I went ahead and popped on a box of the great plains' from cabelas. Good price and one of the only places that had them in stock. Will go out sometime this spring/summer and play around with the load. Will post pics of results. If unhappy, I will order some roundballs and patches. Also got a swivel set I am going to install on it. Thanks again guys for all your suggestions!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
,530 round ball and a .015 patch with 70 grains of 3F BP did the job with my 54 Renegade. Great Hunting gun!
Good to know Buckstalker! thanks. I cannot wait to use the renegade once the season returns. I am on the fence about the double trigger, though. I don't quite understand the need/function. I feel as though it makes for an additional opportunity for a deer to hear a "click" and bust you before you get a clean shot off. Would almost rather have a single trigger. Can you adjust the hair trigger with that little screw on the bottom side of the trigger assembly?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts