The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know most like custom calls but what is the best production box call? looking for a sweet sounding box call but want to stay in the 80$ or under range. dont know if they make any custom calls that would fit in that price range.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
The Primos Heartbreaker is well within your price range and is an awesome call.

You can look on eBay for a nice used Hally Caller Deluxe Box or any of the boxcalls from Tuscarora Legend (both production PA-made calls). These, too, would come in WAY under your budget, but are FANTASTIC calls.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
My two favorites are a Primos Little Heartbreaker and a Blodgett Tracker.

Hard to beat a Lynch World Champion also, might be the most versatile box call out there!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Rohm's walnut poplar. You'll have $50 left another call. Midwest Turkey Supply has them in their catalog. I have several stashed away. One is always in my vest and always my first choice for boxcalls. I also carry one that I waterproofed and it helped kill my bird last year in a down pour.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I would say an older Lynch, or if you can find an Dick Kirby's original design! Custom crafted from American Black Walnut, Poplar, and Cherry wood. This perfectly crafted 5-piece wood bottom with Cherry paddle creates unsurpassed realism. This is the original Quaker Boy box call.

·
Registered
972 Posts
turkey4life said:
I know most like custom calls but what is the best production box call? looking for a sweet sounding box call but want to stay in the 80$ or under range. dont know if they make any custom calls that would fit in that price range.
You can find a custom call in that price range. I went down the road buying this and that production call and had more money in that than a custom call. Don't get me wrong, some customs are not keepers either but you can at least pick a wood to try and be a little bit involved in your call. Be forewarned however, call collecting can be addictive. Some, not all calls, you can get your money back out of the call should you decide it's not what you wanted.
Good luck on your quest!!!

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
jec turkeydad said:
I would say an older Lynch, or if you can find an Dick Kirby's original design! Custom crafted from American Black Walnut, Poplar, and Cherry wood. This perfectly crafted 5-piece wood bottom with Cherry paddle creates unsurpassed realism. This is the original Quaker Boy box call.
You are right about Dick Kirby's "original" Grand Old Master. I have one and it is pure turkey. It also has a serial number and the date it was made.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I will second the Primos Heartbraker . It has a great sound and is resonably priced .

·
Registered
940 Posts
I am probably not qualified to answer this, but I have the old quaker boy boat paddle and the mini boat paddle and when I use it I think, man this sounds like crap, but I sure seem to get a lot of real woods positive results with those two.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Muppet said:
I am probably not qualified to answer this, but I have the old quaker boy boat paddle and the mini boat paddle and when I use it I think, man this sounds like crap, but I sure seem to get a lot of real woods positive results with those two.
I agree, they do seem to sound bad up close. I have both the calls you mentioned. Where they really shine are at long distance calling. Believe it or not they sound great at a distance. I use them both for long distance locating. They really work well!

·
Registered
940 Posts
WildTigerTrout said:
Muppet said:
I agree, they do seem to sound bad up close. I have both the calls you mentioned. Where they really shine are at long distance calling. Believe it or not they sound great at a distance. I use them both for long distance locating. They really work well!
Man that is great to hear that! I have had these calls for a good bit of time and generally locating is pretty much what I use those box calls for. If I get a gobbler the answer I am on my way there with a mouth call in. I don't know that I have ever used the box as my last call. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Muppet said:
WildTigerTrout said:
Muppet said:
Man that is great to hear that! I have had these calls for a good bit of time and generally locating is pretty much what I use those box calls for. If I get a gobbler the answer I am on my way there with a mouth call in. I don't know that I have ever used the box as my last call. Thanks for the response.
You are more than welcome. I find myself carrying the mini-boat paddle more because of it's size. The full size call is quite large and bulky. Again they both work very well.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Letinmfly is right with SSCalls. Al and Josh make a nice field grade box call. I have one made of black poplar and an ipe lid. Sounds great to me anyhow .........

1 - 20 of 43 Posts